High school cheerleader car wash violates environmental laws

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It’s hard to wave your spirit fingers when the city shuts down the cheerleading squad’s fundraising car wash to protect the environment.
This is what happened to Lincoln High School cheerleaders trying to raise money to attend a national competition in April. The San Jose Mercury reports that local environmental officials warned the high school cheerleaders that their car wash violated the city’s water discharge laws.

“We had a visit from the city of San Jose Environmental Services Department who said that the car washes at Hoover [Middle School] are in violation of water discharge laws, therefore we had to cancel this and all future car washes,” said an email that was sent out to neighborhood email lists on Oct. 18.

“Anything that is not storm water or rain water is considered a pollutant,” said Jennie Loft, acting communications manager for San Jose’s Environmental Services Department. “If it goes into a storm drain, that pollutant will harm wildlife and habitats in the creeks. Water goes directly from the storm drains into our creeks.”

High school cheerleader car wash violates enviromental laws | The Daily Caller

cullifornia

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not just California. Look at your local by-laws, and most places have water discharge by-laws, including making it an offense to wash your car in your driveway, or even drain your hot tub into storm drains (the two we've been known to do here in my house).

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I would have thought if something brought down high school cheerleader car washes, it woulda been 15-year-old girls in bikini bottoms and thoroughly soaked, thin t-shirts.

Oh, well, the law works in mysterious ways. They got Capone for tax evasion.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yup. A lot of schools have massive education campaigns regarding storm drains. The kids go paint fish on the drains near the school to educate others and themselves of the fact that the drains are not treated, and lead directly to waterways. Right now, all around the city I'm in, there are special sandbags around storm drains because road work means debris can wash down otherwise, and that ruins creeks and rivers. Even road crews can't escape the bylaws.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Thank god all the road salt, dog and bird sh!t gets flushed away when it rains. That's all I can say, about that there.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not just California. Look at your local by-laws, and most places have water discharge by-laws, including making it an offense to wash your car in your driveway, or even drain your hot tub into storm drains (the two we've been known to do here in my house).
Provincial laws. My jackass neighbour across the alley dumped 40L of gasoline that had turned to varnish in the alley where rainwater would blast it into a "green fish" catch basin.. It reeked for days so I called. They gave it a file number and nothing else.

I must have worked because I haven't seen a green fish in months.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

I've seen entire creeks sterilized out by guys draining their swimming pools into a storm drain, especially after they've been shocked (super-chlorinated). Hundreds of dead fish.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How much paint does the city put down on the streets and parking lots every year?

Start giving the guys with oil leaks a fine and the tire companies can pay a tax for the rubber that gets left on the road.

(super-chlorinated). Hundreds of dead fish.
I thought everybody was moving over to salt-water for the pools and hot tubs. You know, ... like before chlorine.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
How much paint does the city put down on the streets and parking lots every year?

Start giving the guys with oil leaks a fine and the tire companies can pay a tax for the rubber that gets left on the road.
On Oil leaks:
If you haven't noticed it already, Check the parking spaces in any mall early in the morning before the parking lot fills up.
All the spaces with the most oil leaks are close to the different mall or store entrances...
Same with big hardware or grocery stores...
Watsa matter....seems like all the old beaters owners are too lazy to walk a few feet?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
On Oil leaks:
If you haven't noticed it already, Check the parking spaces in any mall early in the morning before the parking lot fills up.
All the spaces with the most oil leaks are close to the different mall or store entrances...
Same with big hardware or grocery stores...
Watsa matter....seems like all the old beaters owners are too lazy to walk a few feet?

Here's a fun project for you DaS.

Go to that same parking lot, and track the frequency with which each stall gets parked in. The stalls closer to the doors see more vehicles per day, than the ones further.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Here's a fun project for you DaS.

Go to that same parking lot, and track the frequency with which each stall gets parked in. The stalls closer to the doors see more vehicles per day, than the ones further.
Too true....and the odds of an oil leak goes up
I also noticed and I have done it too, that people with brand new cars or trucks park further away, to prevent the usual dings and scratches that one is prone to get by people opening doors too wide etc.
After a few years and a couple of dings you park as close as you can like everybody else....and it's also the time you start getting oil leaks

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ahhh the halides. We use potassium chloride on SK roads. Cheap like borscht. Speaking of borscht, they use that too.