Sooooo……….is the problem they ingested ‘ methanol, an undeclared ingredient’ or

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
that they ingested ‘hand sanitizer’…….?

Health Canada has released a statement warning people about “Bodico Hand Sanitizer” after two recent deaths in Ontario might have been the result of using the product.

The statement says that initial testing results of Bodico Hand Sanitizer, 8 fluid ounce, Lot B9002 and Bodico Hand Sanitizer with Aloe and Vitamin E, 8 fluid ounce, B9001 have found methanol, which is not identified as an ingredient on the label.

Methanol is highly toxic and if ingested can be fatal, the statement reads.

Health Canada is working with the Chief Coroner of Ontario to determine the cause of death in both cases. It is also working with makers of the Bodico products to recall them.

Ontario’s Centre for Forensic Sciences has found that two bottles of the product associated with the deaths contained methanol, according to the Health Canada statement.

'Bodico Hand Sanitizer' could be deadly: Health Canada | Toronto Star

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Regardless of whether people are ingesting it purposely or not, methane is highly toxic. How dangerous is it, you have it on your hands, you handle food? I don't know but I wouldn't want to find out. A substance like that as an ingredient and it's not on the label? Seems very sketchy to me.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Regardless of whether people are ingesting it purposely or not, methane is highly toxic. How dangerous is it, you have it on your hands, you handle food? I don't know but I wouldn't want to find out. A substance like that as an ingredient and it's not on the label? Seems very sketchy to me.
it's an alcohol a denser than ethanol. It's an excellent hand sanitizer and anti-bacteria food safe. The problem is homeless who guzzle the stuff back. So next time some feral person that smells like grapefruit asks for spare change you'll, know they got into the hand sanitizer.

If they got into the hand santizer with methanol you spot them too. They'll be the yellow ones walking into things without a gadget in their hands because they are blind.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When I lived in High Level, you had to go ask for hairspray and a lot of the colognes, from the cashier. She kept it all behind the counter, because otherwise homeless people who lived in the parks would steal it to drink it. I was shocked as hand sanitizer became more and more widely available, that it sits right by the till in big open bins, conveniently sized to slip into a pocket and carry on.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Considering it is on almost every counter you find in public who wouldn't it be in demand by hobos?
. Why not use something that us useful, like making the sanitizer some fine particle colloidal silver and when the liquid evaporated the silver is left behind and that is what fights dthe bacterial. You would also leave traces on all the things you touched so an infected perosn would touch the same object but the silver would kill the bacteria before it could find a new host.
Did they suddenly have a surplus of methanol after they found it played havoc with the seals in a modern engine?
That would be like giving corexit to a mechanic to get the grease from under his fingernails, dead at 37 but the cleanest fingernails in town.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When I lived in High Level, you had to go ask for hairspray and a lot of the colognes, from the cashier. She kept it all behind the counter, because otherwise homeless people who lived in the parks would steal it to drink it. I was shocked as hand sanitizer became more and more widely available, that it sits right by the till in big open bins, conveniently sized to slip into a pocket and carry on.
It's the big units at hospital entrances that get hit constantly. Pump it dry in no time.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
..methane is highly toxic. How dangerous is it, you have it on your hands, you handle food?
Slightly different, it is an invisible gas that messes with your red blood cell's ability to transport oxygen. Kills very quickly.