Has the Senate scandals had a long term negative effect on PM Harper.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Has the Senate scandals had a long term negative effect on PM Harper.
I mentioned a time ago, that if he failed to address this, and it blows up he will retire, this year or early next.

We see the attempt to remove 3 Senators, but Canadians have a sense of fair play.
My opinion- This came from the PMO and they screwed it royally.

Harper had months to plan his return. Yet he has failed to stem this issue.
Harper is a smart Politician, why did he not take action
He could have fast tracked a Bill thru both houses.
New rules for the Commons, the Senate, and Constituency Offices
All spending to be made public.

As this continues- leaks galore- Harper will end up on the losing end.
Why- because Canadians believe he controls both houses- Because Canadians are aware of his pushing thru bills quickly-

And the problem is the other 2 choices suck
Neither the Hairdo or the Mustache inspire confidence.

Need a BQ Candidate to run- that or Brent as an independent.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Since the senate has been a scam for over 100 years I fail to see how anything could stick to harper. prety hard to be called the bad guy when he inherited the mess from the Liberals who have been in power far more often than the cons.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Since the senate has been a scam for over 100 years I fail to see how anything could stick to harper. prety hard to be called the bad guy when he inherited the mess from the Liberals who have been in power far more often than the cons.

The latest scandal began last year- then exploded into the public with a bang in the New Year.
As Libs or Cons are fond of saying , does not matter if he created the problem, does not matter if it was before he was elected. He is the PM, what has he done.

Now the scam of suspending the Senators is right from the PMO.
I am a firm believer in due process. So let the investigations go forwards.

One thing to consider and Wallin nailed it- There are few rules as to spending and they change on a whim.

Compared to adscam this isn't even on the radar.

No, it is much worse. Look the the accountability in the Commons on funds spent.
Both are above the normal checks and balances that all Govt Depts, individuals must adhere to.

Approaching 1/2 a Billion- a year- Adscam were pikers.
Members of Parliament - Interactive - CBC.ca
Introduction

Members of Parliament are among those bracing themselves for spending cuts in the 2012 federal budget. The government has said it wants to reduce the $441-million House of Commons budget that funds MPs' operating expenses by five per cent and make changes to the generous MP pension plan.

At the same time, it passed a law late last year that will see the number of MPs in the House increase by 30 after 2015. The Fair Distribution Act will allot three more seats to Quebec, 15 to Ontario and six each to Alberta and British Columbia, at a total cost of $18 million a year and an additional $11.5 million for each election.

We break down the costs involved in keeping a member of Parliament in office. Explore the interactive to learn more.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This scandal goes to the personal impression of honesty, Our Prime Minister
is beginning to change his story as the truth or a new version of it is rolled out.
From no one knew to very few people knew, that is a little crack in the wall of
gospel truth.
I am beginning to smell political blood in the water and a whole lot of sins are
about to fall out of the closet. I believe Harper will survive for awhile but he will
not be PM for the next election. If a number of Tory Senators revolt the chain
will be yanked. The other problem is he is a control freak and his own caucus
if they see weakness will be only too happy to be rid of him.
Interesting times ahead

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
is beginning to change his story as the truth or a new version of it is rolled out.
gospel truth.
I am beginning to smell political blood in the water and a whole lot of sins are
about to fall out of the closet. I believe Harper will survive for awhile but he will
Interesting times ahead

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...hat-i-think-is-the-truth-of-the-duffy-affair/

If anyone thinks that Harper will be tied to knowledge of the 90 K deal, they should think again- Chiefs of Staff have a significant role and a function we see from time to time. Falling on their sword.

As to discussions of assisting Duffy from Party funds, they were all reviewed and rejected.
That is not the issue.

The Senate and the Commons as we see have no set rules. Witness the attempt to suspend- No set rules, procedures except what the Senate deem to be relevant.
Kangaroo court comes to mind. No I stand corrected- Kangaroo Court is exactly what it is, directed right from the PMO, with a set result.

And with high ranking Conservative Senators aside from the 3 up for suspension have some shxt on their hands.
Could be some assisted in fraudulent claims and attempts to cover up their function and roles in this scandal.

These reports on Wallin, Duffy and Brazeu deserve the basic fundamentals of Justice that any citizen should receive.

Just because they are Politicians is not a reason to rail road this Conservative controversy out of the public view.

Harper had time to prepare oversight for both Houses, and what has he done.

Some say this is nothing compared to Adscam - Well I differ on that- The Commons 2012 budget for MPs, was 441 Million.

One difference with Adscam- The PM called an inquiry.

What has the Conservative reaction been???

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not likely.... The Don's teflon - but he did manage to make the Senate unpopular

The way it is being addressed is causing concerns with the party base and Canadians in general- The hallmark of hangem fast, bury it away. So when the RCMP lay charges, next year at the earliest, the trial(s) could be just in time for an election.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
All they need is suspicion it is the catalyst of perception won't matter
about guilt or not just it might be true that sinks political careers.
The Party needs to rid itself of Harper and the party base knows it.
The opposition is getting stronger and the policies of the present
government will soon be out of fashion, yes out of fashion people are
in the mood for something different.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
All they need is suspicion it is the catalyst of perception won't matter
about guilt or not just it might be true that sinks political careers.
The Party needs to rid itself of Harper and the party base knows it.
The opposition is getting stronger and the policies of the present
government will soon be out of fashion, yes out of fashion people are
in the mood for something different.
What have the Libs and NDP to offer?
As to Harper - head and shoulders above them all on the economy and Jobs.
And people vote Jobs.
I dislike Harper but that is not preventing me from seeing the reality of the 3 Leaders.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A number of questions have risen from this attempt to suspend.
Senate Rules- Well they seem to mean one thing one time, another the next.
The accounting firm- did not have clear rules as to what was or was not Senate business- along with residency requirements
I am not defending any of the 3.

Then we have what many see, major power brokers in the PMO and the Senate possibly nvolved with obstruction, or fraud or plain old coverup, making side deals and then throwing all 3 under the bus without any process other than what the Senate Con majority wants.

Then we have the ever changing story from the key persons involved.

Then we have a clear attempt that if done by Liberals would have Conservatives on the rampage about natural law, due process.
Me I wonder what the RCMP have as evidence.

And if they intend to throw Nigel under the bus, well I would be careful about that.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
gospel truth.
Interesting times ahead
You always smell blood in the water where Harper is concerned .The sharks are always circling.
Why do none of there bites hurt ?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Too many Harpo apologists here to have a balanced discussion on this matter.

Really? The way I see it, the senate should be abolished altogether and we take a long hard look at how our Parliament works.

When Mulroney was PM he stacked the Senate
When Chretien was PM he stacked the Senate
Now Harper

During all 3 of these PM's time there were scandals of equal issue. One Senator didn't report to work for most of the year under Chretien and still got paid.

The Senate is a Joke. Partisanship has nothing to do with that.

Due Process? They got caught stealing. Fire them and lay charges.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Really? The way I see it, the senate should be abolished altogether and we take a long hard look at how our Parliament works.

Now Harper

During all 3 of these PM's time there were scandals of equal issue. One Senator didn't report to work for most of the year under Chretien and still got paid.

Well for Wallin they kept on changing the rules- Everyone is entitled to due process.
The issue that many overlook is after 146 years there are no rules. Why is that?
Harper was going to clean things up. How is he doing?
Charges- Wait for the RCMP-
Harper had 3/4 of a year to address this and ram thru rules- what did he do?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
gospel truth.
Interesting times ahead

Harper is flipping and a flopping but the truth is out there in the Official Records on how he saw these scandals before he declared them a scandal.............

41st PARLIAMENT, 1st SESSION

EDITED HANSARD • NUMBER 210

CONTENTS
Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hon. Thomas Mulcair (Leader of the Opposition, NDP):
"Mr. Speaker, in the Senate, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Senator Pamela Wallin claimed more than $300,000 in travel expenses in the past three years alone. Less than 10% of these expenses were for travel in Saskatchewan, the province she is supposed to represent. Senator Wallin is using taxpayers' money to travel around the country and to star in the Conservative Party's fundraising activities.

"Does the Prime Minister believe it is acceptable for taxpayers' money to be used to raise money for his political party?"
Right Hon. Stephen Harper (Prime Minister, CPC):​

"Mr. Speaker, I reject that characterization.

"In terms of Senator Wallin, I have looked at the numbers. Her travel costs are comparable to any parliamentarian travelling from that particular area of the country over that period of time. For instance, last year Senator Wallin spent almost half of her time in the province she represents in the Senate. The costs are to travel to and from that province, as any similar parliamentarian would do."

Official Report * Table of Contents * Number 210 (Official Version)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Now Harper

I agree and most of us Canadians agree both sides of the political landscape but unfortunately Quebec will never vote to relinquish any of their power in the Canadian fabric . PM Harper does not have the political support to reopen the constitution so there will not be any dissolution of the senate . Sad but true . Pigs are hard to move from the trough .