McDonald's Use Of Ammonium Hydroxide To 'Wash' Meat

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I can't even remember the last time I had McDonalds. It's been years. We do have an awesome gourmet burger joint down the street. Costs a hell of a lot more, but well worth the price.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My family would so prefer a good donair. And no, no matter what Jamie Oliver EVER says, I DO NOT CARE how donair meat is made.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
My family would so prefer a good donair. And no, no matter what Jamie Oliver EVER says, I DO NOT CARE how donair meat is made.

That's only because you've never had the seared Ahi tuna burger with spicy wasabi aoili and asian slaw on a ciabatta bun from Bungalow. Mmmm.

And a good donair is not as suspicious a meat concoction as one might think it is.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's only because you've never had the seared Ahi tuna burger with spicy wasabi aoili and asian slaw on a ciabatta bun from Bungalow. Mmmm.

And a good donair is not as suspicious a meat concoction as one might think it is.

yuk!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

They don't do it any more and haven't since 2011. From the article you posted.

n the 2011 statement, McDonald's said: "Burgers are at the heart of the Golden Arches, and the fact is, McDonald's USA serves 100% USDA-inspected beef- no preservatives, no fillers, no extenders- period.
"For a number of years prior to 2011, to assist with supply, McDonald's USA used some lean beef trimmings treated with ammonia in our burgers. We were among other food retailers who used this safe product.
"At the beginning of 2011, we made a decision to stop using this ingredient. It has been out of the McDonald's USA supply chain since August of 2011. We wanted to be consistent with our global beef supply chain and we're always evolving our practices."

The fact is, Mcdonalds was not the only retailer that used "pink slime". Your local Safeway was doing and using the same thing. Most, if not all, retailers have stopped using the product. Kudos for Oliver for bringing this to the consumers attention. The OP is, however, misleading. Obviously many didn't read the article linked to the OP.

Not a tuna fan? Lol.

Wild Boar, Lamb, Bison, Turkey, Salmon then? They probably have beef too. Lol.

No, I'm not a fan of that tuna. The rest, I love it all. I've recently tried "5 guys" burgers. Loved em. Hand formed patties, loads of hand cut fries, and fresh fixins for the burger. Very good.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

No, I'm not a fan of that tuna. The rest, I love it all. I've recently tried "5 guys" burgers. Loved em. Hand formed patties, loads of hand cut fries, and fresh fixins for the burger. Very good.

I've had them a few times and their burgers are good. I'm not a big french fry lover unless their homemade though, but theirs are not bad.

At that gourmet burger place they have do their fries almost matchstick, not usually my favourite style, but they have one where they toss them with rosemary. It's exactly like a roast potato but in french fry form. Delicious.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Sliced meat products, such as Arby's and most Donairs, are much safer than any restaurant ground meats. Halal has some stringent guidelines for meat slaughter and preparation.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I only eat that stuff when I'm backed up, lol.

Me- KFC- Flies right thru me.
good to know. ;)

a long time ago I had what I think was a salmon burger. :(

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
For what its worth as my final post:

As does urban legends,
. Up to 1989,I supplied Canada Safeway and was a listed alternate for McDonalds franchises. Both used enzyme based protein dissolving , state of the art cleaning products, AND separately disinfected surfaces with multi resonance quaternaries, and rinsed with potable water.

Their commissaries were so clean that you could do surgery in them. Meat hygiene was a religion, and Ammonium Hydroxide has never been added to meat in Canada. Its against the law.

AH dips were once used by the US packers to surface sanitise uncut meat dropped on floors, but Canada has always required chlorinated or Quat treatment. SAFEWAY automatically discards any dropped meat.

Remember people that the owners of this website do design work for restaurants, and provide you with a free service. Free services do not continue when you cut into their core business. Major corps get pretty surly when they are defamed on line.So be careful what you post.

BTW, CB, "Blishti " is Urdu for fellow traveller, and the Urdu scripts are the benedictions, or ****shas, of the Buddha to restore peace of mind and general tranquility.

So long and thanks for all the fishes.

:

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
For what its worth as my final post:
I highly doubt that.

As does urban legends,
Ummm ya, MCDonalds admitted doing it, so it really isn't an urban legend, but do go on...

Up to 1989,I supplied Canada Safeway and was a listed alternate for McDonalds franchises. Both used enzyme based protein dissolving , state of the art cleaning products, AND separately disinfected surfaces with multi resonance quaternaries, and rinsed with potable water.

Their commissaries were so clean that you could do surgery in them. Meat hygiene was a religion, and Ammonium Hydroxide has never been added to meat in Canada. Its against the law.

Remember people that the owners of this website do design work for restaurants, and provide you with a free service. Free services do not continue when you cut into their core business. Major corps get pretty surly when they are defamed on line.So be careful what you post.
It's a news article, posted a web forum hosted on an American server. Good luck.

BTW, CB, "Blishti " is Urdu for fellow traveller, and the Urdu scripts are the benedictions, or ****shas, of the Buddha to restore peace of mind and general tranquility.
Urdu! I was so close, my bad.

Anyways, I'll have to take your word for it.

So long and thanks for all the fishes.
You old bait stealin' grouper you.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I know a couple of cows that drink and smoke Export A green death that even Ammonium Hydroxide would never be able to wash their meat.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Speaking of unwashable meat, Humboldt is still here lurking around. I guess final post means just that, final post, but he wants to stay and watch, lol.