Dangerous offender- yes- Jail - yes. Sentenced as such Yes.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Torturer Dustin Paxton smirks as his brain-injured former roommate gives victim impact statement | National Post

Crown prosecutors Joe Mercier, Julie Morgan and Nadia Tejpar are trying to have Paxton, 33, declared a dangerous offender and be sentenced to an indeterminate prison term for the aggravated assaults and sexual assaults against DL in 2008 and 2009 in Regina and Calgary.

If Paxton is not sentenced as they believe he should be, they say he should get 15 to 18 years and be subjected to a strict 10-year long-term sentence order in the community after his release.

None of the lawyers for either side would comment following the conclusion of the hearing, set over by Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Sheilah Martin to Nov. 1 to set a date for sentencing.

When given an opportunity to speak to court by the judge, Paxton made no apologies for his actions. Instead, he chose to talk about himself.

“It’s been an extremely long process during which I’ve been given the opportunity to work with several professionals,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot about myself. I have a better understanding and working with them I’ll be a better person.

“I want to continue counselling and programs that are essential to my rehabilitation.”
Point- He can have all that long time in jail.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
He said three doctors all testified Paxton can be controlled.

This is what I find most frustrating about this case. He can be controlled. Which implies he did what he did because he wanted to. And that without control, he's not actually rehabilitated.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

This is what I find most frustrating about this case. He can be controlled. Which implies he did what he did because he wanted to. And that without control, he's not actually rehabilitated.

Extremely concise summary. This man is DANGEROUS. No concern about abusing his closest friends.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

From the article.

DL, on this occasion, showed no signs of the fear that had enveloped him and confidently read his statement. Paxton, meanwhile, smirked while it was being read by his victim.

“It’s been an extremely long process during which I’ve been given the opportunity to work with several professionals,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot about myself. I have a better understanding and working with them I’ll be a better person.

“I want to continue counselling and programs that are essential to my rehabilitation.”

Paxton has never admitted to any of the offences against DL or against another roommate and employee at his trucking company, though he was convicted of assault in both cases.

He has 44 convictions, mostly property offences but including six assaults, in 20 years. All assaults were minor and do not support a pattern required to be a dangerous offender.”

Point- Controlled how??

Judge says psychiatric evidence admissible in Paxton dangerous offender hearing | Globalnews.ca
Defence lawyers tried to prevent the doctor reports from being entered as evidence.

Sun News : Doctor testifies in court convicted Calgary torturer Dustin Paxton could be psychopath

Convicted torturer Dustin Paxton shows traits of antisocial personality disorder and psychopathy and might be a poor candidate for therapy, a doctor testified Thursday.

Dr. Robert Trifiletti, a psychologist with the Southern Alberta Forensic Psychiatry Centre, said Paxton scored a 31 out of 40 on the Psychopathy Check List - a tool used to assess risk.

"A score of 30 or higher is suggestive that the person has many of the traits for psychopathy," Trifiletti told Crown prosecutor Julie Morgan.

Morgan wants Justice Sheilah Martin to rule Paxton is a dangerous offender and lock him up indefinitely for repeatedly assaulting his former roommate and business partner, as well as another man.

Martin earlier ruled Paxton engaged in an ongoing pattern of physical and sexual abuse against the roommate, who can't be named.

Trifiletti said Paxton didn't present as a good candidate for therapy because of his tendency to try to manipulate others.

"He might be prone to become dominant and manipulative," the doctor said.

He added the high score on the psychopathy check list "suggests a person without empathy."

He said Paxton's personality is such he would try to direct therapy sessions instead of getting the treatment he needs.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Torturer Dustin Paxton smirks as his brain-injured former roommate gives victim impact statement | National Post

Crown prosecutors Joe Mercier, Julie Morgan and Nadia Tejpar are trying to have Paxton, 33, declared a dangerous offender and be sentenced to an indeterminate prison term for the aggravated assaults and sexual assaults against DL in 2008 and 2009 in Regina and Calgary.

If Paxton is not sentenced as they believe he should be, they say he should get 15 to 18 years and be subjected to a strict 10-year long-term sentence order in the community after his release.

None of the lawyers for either side would comment following the conclusion of the hearing, set over by Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Sheilah Martin to Nov. 1 to set a date for sentencing.

When given an opportunity to speak to court by the judge, Paxton made no apologies for his actions. Instead, he chose to talk about himself.

Point- He can have all that long time in jail.

The problem is the A$$hole is going to cost us a lot of money. While some jail wouldn't hurt I think the Singapore solution administered every Friday for a month or so might achieve wonders.