Rogers bill ruins credit rating of man who doesn't have Rogers account

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
An Ontario man has spent three years fighting a Rogers bill that has ruined his credit rating and turned his life upside down - even though he has never had a Rogers account.

Dave Johnson, 61, of Pembroke, Ont. got a bill in 2010 from a collection agency working on behalf of Rogers Wireless. It suggested he was in arrears for over $5,400.

But Johnson didn’t owe the money. He called the collection agency and thought he straightened it out.

“They said, you’ve never had a Rogers cell phone, so we’ll make this go away," Johnson said.

But the problem didn’t go away. It ended up on his credit record and he was turned down for a couple of credit cards.

The bank also wouldn’t allow him to co-sign for his son’s mortgage. And he couldn’t use the equity in his home, which is paid for.
“I’ve got equity. But the frustrating part is it’s worthless to me because of this smear,” Johnson said.

He then began the frustrating job of clearing his name. In the process, he found out that another David Johnson had also been wrongly pursued for the same bill.

“They are just throwing darts. They are not chasing the person that was responsible for the debt," Johnson said. "They’re chasing the person that they think maybe have a similar sounding name."

Deborah Bruneteau of Winnipeg said she received a bill for over $2,600 from a collection agency hired by Rogers. The bill was addressed to her father, William Spence who had died two years ago and never had a Rogers account.

“Spence is a very common last name," Bruneteau said.

She said Rogers needs to take responsibility for the actions of the collections companies it hires.

“Collecting on people who have never owed money and causing very much stress and harm to someone’s credit rating...why would they do that?"

CBC News received dozens of complaints after our investigation last year revealed how collection agencies aggressively pursue unpaid debts. CBC's inbox was filled with emails about collectors hired by Rogers, one of the biggest phone companies in the country.

Howard Maker, Commissioner of Telecommunications Complaints, said he hears too many stories like this.

more

Rogers bill ruins credit rating of man who doesn't have Rogers account - Canada - CBC News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Although I'm not trying to advocate for Rogers, these tactics are the tactics of the collection agencies. And I do believe they 'cold call' people trying to collect something, that's not uncommon...but it is illegal. It can happen to anyone. However, were to ever happen to me, the last place I'd be going is to the CBC, I'd be filing a complaint with the Ministry first.

Rules differ from province to province of course, but there is recourse. And a phone call isn't going to cut it.

What Do I Do If I Feel I’m Being Treated Unfairly By a Collection Agency?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
If a company says you owe them money, ask them for a sign contract and dispute the claim with credit reporting agencies..

Rogers is a thieving, lying dishonest company.

If you don't care about your credit rating.. just wait 7 years.. they will go away.. and the claim will be dropped from the reporting agency eventually.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If a company says you owe them money, ask them for a sign contract and dispute the claim with credit reporting agencies..

Unfortunately oral contracts are just as binding in some places both here and in the US. Even when it isnt the dispute process can take months or years which does nothing to help the person who is being screwed over in the meantime. The guy in this article has been going at it for years which is not uncommon with this problem. Ive dealt with people like this guy before when I worked for Rogers and Sprint. It was never fun and I always agreed with them before my employer but unfortunately there wasnt much I could do. In some cases they did have accounts which were closed many years ago and were not told of an outstanding balance. When Id take a look on the accounts there wasnt one - they sold the debt assuming it ever existed to the collection agencies. Credit problems are never easily solved unfortunately.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

...and then what? Telus Mobility told me me I owed them $200 dollars that I didn't owe them. I asked them for documentation which they said they would give me. They didn't. They sent me to a collection agency and the collection agency told me they would provide me with documentation. Of course, they didn't because they couldn't. There is no recourse to these people accept to sue them. I can't be bothered over $200 so I finally paid it just to be rid of the problem.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
...and then what? Telus Mobility told me me I owed them $200 dollars that I didn't owe them. I asked them for documentation which they said they would give me. They didn't. They sent me to a collection agency and the collection agency told me they would provide me with documentation. Of course, they didn't because they couldn't. There is no recourse to these people accept to sue them. I can't be bothered over $200 so I finally paid it just to be rid of the problem.

Why didn't you go to court, ask the judge to ask the collectors to produce docs ??

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Be damned if I would pay a bill I didn't owe and believe me I will defend my
position in any legal venue I can. Be it the courts.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Be damned if I would pay a bill I didn't owe and believe me I will defend my
position in any legal venue I can. Be it the courts.

That sh*t happens. In the past year my sister was contacted by a collection agency regarding a bill of around $2500 owed to Walmart since 2006. She never had a Walmart account at any time, had never charged anything with them and never received a previous bill from them and Walmart apparently was unable to identify the purchase. Somehow they did have her S.I.N. She reported it to the police and has heard nothing more about it since. The original bill was dated close to the time she split with her husband, but I would say that is out of character for him.............the only other possibility I can think of is a fraudulent employee with the collection agency trying to scoop some easy money.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Time for a class action lawsuit against Rogers because the company can’t blame third party contractors Rogers is ultimately responsible. Anybody interested leave a comment. A lawyer would do this case pro bono just because of emotional stress caused by collection agencies. The payout would be a couple of billion dollars.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
My time is worth more.

Give me $200 and I'll do it for you.;-)

Years ago I was billed $175.00 +- for a car repair bill I had paid.

I had a receipt, so I ignored it.

The car co. sent it to collection. They called. I told them I had a receipt marked paid. They said bring it in and show . In my kind and gentle manner I told them to **** off.

I wasn't responsible for keeping their books.l

Finally a rep of the collection agency called at the house and asked to keep a copy of the receipt. Once again, in my kind and gentle manner.................................................

I didn't do their bookkeeping nor their copying.

The guy noted the receipt and left.

end of story.

Called the credit bureau and was told I was as clean as a new born. I said they are usually covered with blood and slime. Well, they said, there is that.

life is good.

Not that I treat people in a nasty manner, but, THEY came on to me like I was a murderer, or worse, with threats et al. Not the way to approach an EX-customer.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The thing to do is force them to take it to court. The penalty for filing a false claim is Double the claim amount + expenses. This was told to me by a collection agent sent by the royal bandits when I demanded they set a court date. About 4 days later my credit history had no record whatsoever of my ever having dealt with the royal bandits.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The thing to do is force them to take it to court. The penalty for filing a false claim is Double the claim amount + expenses. This was told to me by a collection agent sent by the royal bandits when I demanded they set a court date. About 4 days later my credit history had no record whatsoever of my ever having dealt with the royal bandits.

Good on ya, Tax.

They're like dogs. Show fear and they're all over you.