Thousands march against GMOs, Monsanto across Canada

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Thousands march against GMOs, Monsanto across Canada

Organizers say more than 400 demonstrations took place around the world on Saturday, in an effort to call attention to what the protesters claim are dangers posed by genetically modified food and the food giants that produce it.

The "Occupy Monsanto" group focused their efforts on one corporation — Monsanto, a leading producer of genetically engineered seed.

Rallies were held across Canada and the United States, in Europe, Australia, Brazil, Colombia and South Africa, among others.

Genetically modified plants or organisms, commonly called GMOs, are often created to resist disease and eliminate the need for pesticides.

In Vancouver, where about 400 people marched through downtown streets, organizer Lili Dion called on the public to educate themselves.

"I want people to ask questions," she said. "A lot of people, it's surprising, don't know what GMOs are, or the lack of testing and how much it is in our food. So I just want people to ask questions... do your own research."

Rachel Parent, 14, called for labelling on all GMO products during Saturday's rally in Toronto.

"That way people have the freedom of choice and that way they can choose for themselves," she told CBC News. "If they don't have GMO labelling maybe they have something to hide."

The GMO debate

The term "genetically modified" refers to the alteration of genetic material. Specifically, it means the genes of one organism have been "cut out" and then "pasted" into another organism.

Desired characteristics, such as a hardier texture, higher nutritional value or faster growth, are chosen to produce a kind of "super food."

However, GMOs have been the source of much public debate regarding their necessity and safety.

Most processed foods in Canada contain at least some genetically modified ingredients. Companies are not required to label products that contain GMOs, but in the European Union there have been regulations requiring such labels for more than a decade.

Monsanto Co., based in St. Louis, Mo., has said that, while it respects people's rights to express their opinion on the topic, it maintains that its seeds improve agriculture by helping farmers produce more from their land while conserving resources such as water and energy.

GMOs safe: Health Canada

On Saturday, former Health Canada scientist Shiv Chopra spoke at a rally in Toronto accusing the agency of not assessing the risks associated with GMOs.

"Any product must be proven to be safe in advance of sale, in advance of distribution," he said. "Health Canada has never received any such results."

CBC News contacted Health Canada for comment, but did not receive a response.

On its website, Health Canada says it requires genetically modified food manufacturers to submit data for safety assessments and that the agency considers GMOs to be safe.

source; Thousands march against GMOs, Monsanto across Canada - British Columbia - CBC News

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's awful that people are living longer, healthier more productive lives because of a secure abundant food supply as a result of GMO plants. Bloody Monsanto and the late Norman Borlaug et al.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's awful that people are living longer, healthier more productive lives because of a secure abundant food supply as a result of GMO plants. Bloody Monsanto and the late Norman Borlaug et al.

LOL, sure.. they just have to endure more Cancer and mammographic abnormalities due to the chemicals used by Monsanto. A genetically engineered seed that is tied to new diseases in humans.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You're a moron! We live longer because we don't work as hard and we have superior medical care. Most of Monsanto product winds up in the pre-packaged and processed foods that are detrimental to our health.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

More like they are living longer despite eating GMO foods. Talk to someone that deals with people with food sensitivities.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
While I don't know of any scientific proof many naturopaths claim that GMOs is what is causing the rapid decline in bee colonies.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
LOL, sure.. they just have to endure more Cancer and mammographic abnormalities due to the chemicals used by Monsanto.

As opposed to the chemicals used on conventional crops? If you're going to rail against biotech, then at least pick a winning fight, like containment of the biotech in the first place and the impacts that can have on farmers when they try to sell their product internationally.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
LOL, sure.. they just have to endure more Cancer and mammographic abnormalities due to the chemicals used by Monsanto. A genetically engineered seed that is tied to new diseases in humans.
You forgot superior nutrition through GMO's. Got proof about more Cancer?

While I don't know of any scientific proof many naturopaths claim that GMOs is what is causing the rapid decline in bee colonies.
Yeah, I've noticed the lack of honey in the stores, too. I often drive past a new Billy Bee warehouse in London ON, I guess they built it because there is less honey to store and ship.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, I've noticed the lack of honey in the stores, too. I often drive past a new Billy Bee warehouse in London ON, I guess they built it because there is less honey to store and ship.

Yes, dwindling supply, price goes up, makes building new warehouses more attractive when the margin on your product improves.

As to the effect of GMO, that is contentious, and I wouldn't put much stock in a naturopath's opinion on apiculture.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yes, dwindling supply, price goes up, makes building new warehouses more attractive when the margin on your product improves.

As to the effect of GMO, that is contentious, and I wouldn't put much stock in a naturopath's opinion on apiculture.

Says the man who is paid to put poisons in fish.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Says the man who is paid to put poisons in fish.

Says the man who is paid money to investigate if products are safe and efficacious for farmers, including data used for environmental risk assessments. Yes, I think that gives me very relevant experience and insight.

You yourself earlier mentioned doubt about evidence, which by extension makes the claim that GMOs are causing bee colony collapses a contentious claim.

Really, I don't think most people appreciate the finer points here, because all they see is the sensational headlines. There is no evidence that a gene which protects crops against the active ingredient in a herbicide is causing bee colony collapses. If there does turn out to be a correlation, it's far more likely the cause is not the gene itself, but the chemicals applied to the crop which are intended to kill or stop life cycle progression of other organisms. In which case, a GMO for instance that was made drought resistant instead of say, resistant to a chemical, would be markedly different in it's effect on a bee.

Anyways, as I said, the claim is contentious until there's some solid proof, and somekind of mechanism proposed. That's how a scientist thinks. Not sure about naturopaths, but it should be how they think too.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

You eat a lot of that stuff don't you Walter?

Study Links (Monsanto's) Roundup 'Weedkiller' To Overgrowth of Deadly Fungal Toxins

A new study lead by Argentinean researchers and published in the Journal of Environmental Science and Health titled, "Influence of herbicide glyphosate on growth and aflatoxin B1 production by Aspergillus section Flavi strains isolated from soil on in vitro assay,"[1] adds to an increasing body of research indicating that glyphosate (aka Roundup), the primary herbicide used in GM agriculture, is seriously undermining the quality of our global food supply, and may help to explain recent observations that GM corn heavy markets, such as the U.S., have a significant aflatoxin problem.[2]

An alarming new study finds that glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup weedkiller, is estrogenic and drives breast cancer cell proliferation in the parts-per-trillion range. Does this help explain the massive mammary tumors that the only long term animal feeding study on Roundup and GM corn ever performed recently found?
An alarming new study, accepted for publication in the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology last month, indicates that glyphosate, the world's most widely used herbicide due to its widespread use in genetically engineered agriculture, is capable of driving estrogen receptor mediated breast cancer cell proliferation within the infinitesimal parts per trillion concentration range.http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/breaking-glyphosate-roundup-carcinogenic-parts-trillion-range#_edn1
The study, titled, "Glyphosate induces human breast cancer cells growth via estrogen receptors," compared the effect of glyphosate on hormone-dependent and hormone-independent breast cancer cell lines, finding that glyphosate stimulates hormone-dependent cancer cell lines in what the study authors describe as "low and environmentally relevant concentrations."

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
thousands

Holy moly.

There are likely a million people pissed-off at Rob Ford.

thousands

:lol: