Toronto woman, 89, prepared to go to jail as part of census protest

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
TORONTO -- An elderly peace activist remains defiant as she prepares to stand trial today over refusing to fill out the census because it's processed with software from a U.S. military contractor.

Audrey Tobias says she's prepared to serve time in jail if that's what it takes to protest Ottawa's decision to use Lockheed Martin technology to sift, sort and analyze census data.

Tobias faces up to 90 days in jail and/or a maximum $500 fine if convicted under the Statistics Act, which bars Canadians from trying to skip out on the census.

She says she'd also refuse to hand over a single penny in fines since that would amount to an admission of guilt.

The 89-year-old did not complete the 2011 short-form census, but says she'd proudly send along her questionnaire answers if they were instead handled by Statistics Canada using software not sourced from a military contractor.

Statistics Canada purchased Lockheed's software back in 2003 and has used it for both the 2006 and 2011 census, a connection cited by several other people charged for their census refusal.

In 2011, a Saskatchewan woman was found guilty and given an absolute discharge for refusing to fill out the now-voluntary long-form section of the 2006 census over the Lockheed software link, and is awaiting to hear whether the Supreme Court will grant her appeal request.

Tobias, a peace activist for some six decades, shrugged off the thought of doing time behind bars.

"Too bad. It just has to be done," she said ahead of her day in court.

"The fact of giving the contract to a military company says a great deal of where the sympathies of our government lie."

"We don't want our country to indicate support for that sort of thing," Tobias said.

"I want us to rather favour peace-seeking companies. But that is the worst company that they could have chosen," she said of Ottawa's use of the Lockheed software.

Read more: Toronto woman, 89, ready to go to jail over census protest linked to Lockheed Martin | CTV News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You know, agree with her or not, I can find absolutely no fault with someone protesting based on their principles when they're willing to accept whatever consequences that may bring. More power to her.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I haven't filled out a census ever. The govt already has all the information on me the form asks for and I find it intrusive and in violation of my privacy. The whole idea of the govt having access to my entire life is detestable and I am not going to help them in their quest to know and control our entire lives.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I haven't filled out a census ever. The govt already has all the information on me the form asks for and I find it intrusive and in violation of my privacy. The whole idea of the govt having access to my entire life is detestable and I am not going to help them in their quest to know and control our entire lives.
But you are chattel anyway. As long as they have your SIN number and you have a birth certificate, you are just an asset. But, if memory serves, you already know that. The government wants to know everything about the assets of the Corporation of Canada. Anybody who can get off their asset list is truly a free man.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
sooooooooooo what are they going to do to her?

she looks frail and presents well and has the courage of her convictions...how will they get around this...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
sooooooooooo what are they going to do to her?

she looks frail and presents well and has the courage of her convictions...how will they get around this...

They won't. Even if they convict her, they can suspend the sentence.

I know the bureaucratic way is to just 'wear you down' so I always find it interesting when they come up against someone that stubborn, lol. Most people wouldn't bother, I wouldn't.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

I know the bureaucratic way is to just 'wear you down' so I always find it interesting when they come up against someone that stubborn, lol. Most people wouldn't bother, I wouldn't.
me neither but then I'm not into causes of any kind... but if someone is moved that way and have a strong belief I support the idea of standing one's ground.

*falls on the floor laughing*

she was backed up by a posse of senior citizens who started interrupting the courtroom by yelling that they couldn't hear and people need to speak up...

goooooooooooooo grey hairs...lmao

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

That right there is why the govts continually enact laws that remove our freedoms and violate our rights. The attitude of 'it doesn't really affect me' or 'I can't be bothered' is what they count on to do things that are wrong.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That right there is why the govts continually enact laws that remove our freedoms and violate our rights. The attitude of 'it doesn't really affect me' or 'I can't be bothered' is what they count on to do things that are wrong.
there's that but there is also the fact that each of us is called to minister to the planet according to the gifts/skills we have..it's a heart thing

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Well yeah, lol, that why I said their tactic is to 'wear you down'...and they do.

And hey there are some things I'd go to the wall for, for each of us it's something different. For me, the census is not it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well yeah, lol, that why I said their tactic is to 'wear you down'...and they do.

And hey there are some things I'd go to the wall for, for each of us it's something different. For me, the census is not it.
yeah with her the census wasn't it either, it's that our government is using a military entity to figure out the tally and she is a peacenik

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Census information serve a purpose. Well documented on the positive uses of the information.
Some get all wacked out over a census. I would be more concerned with all the other info Govt & Business have on each of us.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
if she goes to jail it won't make any census. ;)

Wish I'da sayed that there.;-)

good wan.

yahbuttt: when yer 89, and they're gonna give ya 3 squares a day, place to sleep, warm clothes..................plus a guarantee of money to go on talk shows when ya get out.

Nah, me neither.8O

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Wish I'da sayed that there.;-)

good wan.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Toronto senior census resister heads to trial

11/22/2013 05:52 AM Diana Mehta, The Canadian Press
A 79-year-old Toronto woman headed to trial Friday firmly defending her refusal to fill out the mandatory census in 2011, saying she had serious concerns over a U.S. arms maker’s involvement in processing data on Canada’s population.
Janet Churnin has been charged with violating the Statistics Act.
But despite facing the possibility of a fine and three months in jail, the soft-spoken senior said she was ready for whatever the legal proceedings throw her way.
“I just think whatever’s going to happen is going to happen,” she said outside court as some of her friends looked on. “There are worse criminals than me floating around.”
Statistics Canada has said it purchased American company Lockheed Martin’s software back in 2003 and has used it for both the 2006 and 2011 census.
Churnin believes she filled out the census in previous years but realized only in 2011 that the government used software from the U.S. company.
“I am very much against war and I’m very much against people dropping bombs on people and I think that we should try our best to make war irrelevant,” she said when explaining why she refused to fill out the census forms. “I don’t want to support Lockheed Martin.”
Another concern for Churnin was knowing that data on Canadians was being processed by software made by an American defence company.
“They will have access to all the information about Canadians that is going to be on the form,” she said, adding that she also wanted to protest the government’s scrapping of the long-form census — which was replaced with a voluntary national household survey.
Churnin’s lawyer planned to argue that her Charter rights were violated “in several respects” by being required to answer the short-form census.
“It associates her with the arms manufacturer and she as a supporter of peace finds that repulsive,” Peter Rosenthal said in an interview.
“Secondly, there’s a good chance that Lockheed Martin could use the fact that it designs the software in order to get the data from the census into U.S. intelligence hands.”
Rosenthal pointed to recent leaked information by former U.S. intelligence employee Edward Snowden as justification for Churnin’s fears. Snowden released thousands of documents showing massive trawling of domestic data by the National Security Agency.
Churnin’s case is similar to that of an 89-year-old peace activist who also refused to fill out the 2011 census. In that case, Audrey Tobias was found not guilty in October by a Toronto judge who soundly criticized the government for trying to prosecute someone who was a “model citizen.”
What makes Churnin’s case different from Tobias’s — according to Rosenthal — is the argument that will be made about security fears regarding Lockheed.
“What I’m most hopeful about is that the court will recognize that having Lockheed Martin do the software means that Statistics Canada was negligent in maintaining the information that they get,” he said.
“We’re going to argue that collecting census data and allowing Lockheed Martin such easy access to it, is an unreasonable seizure of information. It’s a very novel kind of argument.”
In 2011, StatsCan received 13 million completed census forms, a 98 per cent response rate. Overall, it referred 54 people for prosecution for failing to complete the mandatory census form.
Toronto senior census resister heads to trial | CityNews