The Gambia leaves the Commonwealth

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The tiny, tiny nation of The Gambia - a tiny slither of a country in West Africa, three times smaller than Belgium, about 24 times smaller than the UK and with a population of just 1.7 million - has withdrawn from the Commonwealth.

The nation branded the 54-member grouping (now a 53-member grouping), which includes the UK and most of its former colonies, a "neo-colonial institution".

The withdrawal was announced on state TV, but no other reasons were given.

There has been tension in recent years between the UK and The Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh.

Two years ago President Yahya Jammeh accused the UK of backing his political opposition ahead of elections.

The UK, however, is concerned at Jammeh's dire human rights record.

Bakary Dabo, former vice president of The Gambia and chairman of the country's campaign for democratic change, said people there are generally "very happy" to be part of the Commonwealth.

He said the government had recently begun "picking up war against poorly specified enemies called 'western powers'".

The Gambia gained independence from the UK in 1965. Its borders are said to have been set in the 19th Century by the distance a naval cannon could fire from a British gunboat on the river.

UK regrets The Gambia's withdrawal from Commonwealth

BBC News
3 October 2013

Tyrant: President Jammeh's action is a "disaster", says Gambian journalist Ebrima Sankareh

The Gambia's decision to withdraw from the Commonwealth 48 years after joining is something to "very much regret", the UK Foreign Office has said.

The west African nation branded the 54-member grouping, which includes the UK and most of its former colonies, a "neo-colonial institution".

The Gambia's borders are said to have been set in the 19th Century by the distance a naval cannon could fire from a British gunboat on the river.

The capital Banjul

The withdrawal was announced on state TV, but no other reasons were given.

Two years ago President Yahya Jammeh accused the UK of backing his political opposition ahead of elections.

There is a history of tension between President Jammeh, who came to power in a 1994 coup, and the UK.

Earlier this year, a Foreign Office report singled out The Gambia for its human rights record, citing cases of unlawful detentions, illegal closures of newspapers and discrimination against minority groups.

On Thursday a Foreign Office spokesman said: "Decisions on Commonwealth membership are a matter for each member government. We would very much regret Gambia, or any other country, deciding to leave the Commonwealth."

In August last year The Gambia was criticised by Amnesty International and others for executing nine prisoners by firing squad.

'Colonialism extension'

The capital Banjul. The Gambia gained its independence from Britain in 1965

The Commonwealth was founded in 1931 but acquired its modern shape after 1949 as former British colonies and protectorates, including The Gambia, started to achieve self-government and varying degrees of independence.

According to the Commonwealth's charter, member states should communicate and co-operate "in the common interests of our peoples and in the promotion of international understanding and world peace".

In its statement, The Gambian government said it had "withdrawn its membership of the British Commonwealth".

It said it had "decided that The Gambia will never be a member of any neo-colonial institution and will never be a party to any institution that represents an extension of colonialism".

But Bakary Dabo, former vice president of The Gambia and chairman of the country's campaign for democratic change, said people there are generally "very happy" to be part of the Commonwealth.

He said the government had recently begun "picking up war against poorly specified enemies called 'western powers'".

Aids claim

Also at the UN, President Jammeh said homosexuality was one of the three "biggest threats to human existence".

He has also drawn international criticism for claiming he can cure Aids with a herbal body rub and bananas.

BBC Africa analyst Farouk Chothia said despite its image as an idyllic holiday destination, The Gambia, and its population of less than two million, were kept under tight control by its eccentric leader.

The latest decision was bound to come from him, our analyst added.

The Royal Commonwealth Society, an education charity which works in Commonwealth countries, said The Gambia's announcement was unexpected and appeared to be undemocratic.

Guide to The Gambia

• Official name is The Gambia to distinguish it from the River Gambia
  • One of Africa's smallest countries, it is surrounded on three sides by Senegal
  • Its borders are said to have been set in the 19th Century by the distance a naval cannon could fire from a British gunboat on the river
  • Tourism, fishing and peanuts are major industries
  • Governed since 1994 by President Yahya Jammeh, who seized power aged 29
  • Last year he vowed to stay in power for "a billion years", if God willed it
  • Claims he can cure Aids and infertility with herbal concoctions
  • Warned in 2008 that gay people would be beheaded

BBC News - UK regrets The Gambia's withdrawal from Commonwealth

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Good for them. The closest we ever came to a commonwealth was that we all sent our wealth to England.

You didn't send it. We took it off you.

Although that's natural wealth, you understand. Canada's only the rich, successful nation it is today because it was part of the British Empire. Just like the US, Australia and New Zealand.

Had Canada gained its independence from France it would have gone the way of other former French colonies, like Niger or Chad.

I'm sure someone other than the Brits and Gambians care about this but I can't think of any offhand.

Although you had enough interest in the story to come onto the thread in the first place.

Just like the two numpties who green-plussed you.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
You didn't send it. We took it off you.

We allowed you a stipend.. Once we decided, independently, that we had helped you enough, we cut-off the allowence, that is, until your government came begging for help in the wars that you were losing in Europe

.. And yes; you're welcome.

(damn, us Canadian are bloody polite!)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We allowed you a stipend.. Once we decided, independently, that we had helped you enough, we cut-off the allowence,

You make it sound as though the British suddenly arrived in a fully-fledged nation called Canada, populated by Canadians with their capital at Toronto (or is it Ottawa? Most British people's knowledge of Canada is so bad that most think Toronto is the capital) rather than the British arriving in a sparse land populated here and there by Indians and then CREATING Canada on that land and then allowing British citizens - the ancestors of the vast majority of Canadians - to settle in that land.

You didn't give us anything. We created you.

that is, until your government came begging for help in the wars that you were losing in Europe

We didn't come begging for little Canada's help. Canada was Britain's poodle then - as it still is in many ways now - and Canada decided to declare war on Germany just a week after Britain did because you were desperate to help the country which most Canadians have family and ancestral ties to, just as iN WWI. It wasn't Britain's decision for you to enter the war. It was Canada's own decision. I suppose Canada owed Britain for Britain bailing Canada out during the War of 1812.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
CREATING Canada on that land and then allowing British citizens - the ancestors of the vast majority of Canadians - to settle in that land.

You didn't give us anything. We created you.

I have no Brit blood in me, whatsoever... And the only tangible 'thing' that was created was a strong work ethic that was a direct result of the non-role that you played.

We didn't come begging for little Canada's help. Canada was Britain's poodle then - as it still is in many ways now - and Canada decided to declare war on Germany just a week after Britain did because you were desperate to help the country which most Canadians have family and ancestral ties to, just as iN WWI. It wasn't Britain's decision for you to enter the war. It was Canada's own decision. I suppose Canada owed Britain for Britain bailing Canada out during the War of 1812.

Hate to be the one to say it, but you did beg for us to save 'The Empire'.

The traditional British stiff upper lip was all-a-trembling... There are pictures of Churchill coming to Canada, cap-in-hand and eyes lowered, pleading for Canada to send some real men that weren't afraid of the Kaiser and his funny hat.

We responded as polite, helpful Canadians do by letting you off the hook via 'offering' to help (that trembling stiff upper lip was just too creepy to keep watching).

As we all know from the history books; it was only a few years later with Hitler that there was yet another knock on Canada's door.

... No big surprise there, really

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Getting back to the topic. That mess in Gambia will end badly. Remember Idi Amin? The UN or someone will probably have to go in and clean it up.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Gambia Passes Bill That Puts Gays in Jail for Life for “Aggravated Homosexuality”

Gambia’s National Assembly passed a bill last month that imposes a life sentence in jail for “homosexual acts,” the Associated Press reported Monday. The leader of the minority in government told the AP the lifetime prison sentence is for "aggravated homosexuality,” which in the West African country targets “repeat offenders and people living with HIV/AIDS.” Homosexuality was already a criminal offense in Gambia punishable by 14 years in jail.

Gambia passes anti-gay bill with life sentence for homosexuality.

“Gambia has previously launched occasional crackdowns on the country's gays,” the AP reports. “A 2012 raid at a poolside birthday party in the capital, Banjul, led to the arrests of 18 men, some of whom said they were interrogated and beaten before undergoing a very public trial that destroyed their reputations.” The bill—which all but two of the Assembly’s legislators voted for—now goes before the country’s president, Yahya Jammeh, to be signed into law. Here’s what Jammeh—who came to power in a 1994 coup—said in February about homosexuals in Gambia:

Gambian President calls gays ungodly vermin: How America should respond.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I have no Brit blood in me, whatsoever...

You're in the minority in Canada, then. The British are, by far, Canada's biggest ethnic group.

Hate to be the one to say it, but you did beg for us to save 'The Empire'.

No, we didn't. Canada joined of its own accord to fight alongside a nation in which many Canadians have family.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You're in the minority in Canada, then. The British are, by far, Canada's biggest ethnic group.

No, we didn't. Canada joined of its own accord to fight alongside a nation in which many Canadians have family.

Wrong.....

Ethnic origins of people in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/cur/socstud/foundation_gr6/blms/6-3-2b.pdf

And some people put English when filling out census forms simply because of the language they speak.
My ancestors on one side of the family came from France, the other side my ancestors were the original people...
I just put "Canadian"....Francophone is just a language to me.
I don't wave the French flag or the aboriginal flag, I wave the Canadian flag...............