Anti-Canadian bias a barrier to U.S. entry, says lawyer

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Anti-Canadian bias a barrier to U.S. entry, says lawyer

An immigration lawyer based in Bellingham, Wash., believes British Columbians aren't being let into the United States because of some U.S. border guards’ anti-Canadian bias.

Some questionable comments recently showed up on an online U.S. Customs and Border Protection job forum.

One entry reads, ‘Nothing worse than a whiny Canadian who thinks they have every right in the world to live here because they are Canadian. During processing they just babble on and on about how great Canada is.”

In another, one writer says, "Our lobbies are full of applicants, it makes me sick.”

And another post says, "All of this can be solved if we just annex Canada and make it the 51st state.”

"Many people on the chat site reflect an overt anti-immigrant bias and when they happen to be talking about Canadians, it’s not only overt anti-immigrant, it's overt anti-Canadian,” said lawyer Greg Boos.

“My concern is that I'm not too sure that's the attitude somebody should have if they're going to be in CBP (Customs and Border Protection).

"I think it flavours the nature of their adjudications and flavours them adversely and unfairly.”

Users on the forum use pseudonyms so there's no guarantee the writers are actually border officers, but Boos says they know too much about the inner workings not to be.

Source: Anti-Canadian bias a barrier to U.S. entry, says lawyer - British Columbia - CBC News

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I have never understood the mania to go shopping in the USA.

I understand there are deals on all that made in China or Bangladesh quality items but is it really worth it to drive there, wait at the border both ways, gas etc.. for what one thought was a 20% savings but when all is taken into consideration is really a break even adventure.

I know of someone who claims to sneak back 30 bottles of whisky every few months for himself whilst claiming a certain amount to the border agent.

He says it's half price.

Maybe I'm just too lazy, or don't drink enough to make the effort.................

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I travel southward 2-3 times / year. I do buy stuff when I go but would never make a specific trip unless it was for a real big ticket item that was significantly overpriced in Canada. Its a tank of gas although 1/2 of it will be filled with cheaper american gas.

As to the OP, maybe they are basing their opinions of Canadians on the people they are meeting from BC. They probably think we are all potheaded hippies based upon those impressions.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They probably think we are all potheaded hippies based upon those impressions.
8O You say that like it's a bad thing. :happy11:

One entry reads, ‘Nothing worse than a whiny Canadian who thinks they have every right in the world to live here because they are Canadian. During processing they just babble on and on about how great Canada is.”

In another, one writer says, "Our lobbies are full of applicants, it makes me sick.”
good!!!