How credible is an alleged child molester?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not with the name of the accused. Guilty or innocent, just being accused will destroy this guys reputation - or anyone's really. Just being accused will be enough to make some people believe a person is guilty even if found not guilty. In cases like this, rape or murder the names should not be given til there is a verdict. Judging by that article its now his word against those of his accusers.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't find an accused molestor any less credible than women who want money, not real justice, for having been beaten and molested.

Not with the name of the accused. Guilty or innocent, just being accused will destroy this guys reputation - or anyone's really. Just being accused will be enough to make some people believe a person is guilty even if found not guilty. In cases like this, rape or murder the names should not be given til there is a verdict. Judging by that article its now his word against those of his accusers.

I don't agree. The legal system should be open and transparent. If someone is being brought up on charges, it should be known, so anyone with information can come forward.

What is moronic though, is rape and abuse charges going to civil court.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't find an accused molestor any less credible than women who want money, not real justice, for having been beaten and molested.

I don't agree. The legal system should be open and transparent. If someone is being brought up on charges, it should be known, so anyone with information can come forward.

I hear you Karrie, but I can't quite fully agree. Possibly the time for people to come forward with information is between conviction and sentencing. The problem with rape and abuse is the broad spectrum they cover.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hear you Karrie, but I can't quite fully agree. Possibly the time for people to come forward with information is between conviction and sentencing. The problem with rape and abuse is the broad spectrum they cover.

Too late for them to come forward if its after conviction. If they have info that could change that verdict there is nothing they can do. If there is info they have to reinforce it then it wouldnt be needed.

Then some sort of protection should be put in place to prevent an accusation or charges from destroying an innocent person's life after the fact. Guilty or not, this guy is screwed.

I agree about the latter though. Civil court should be for civil matters, not criminal ones. Rape and abuse are criminal. You cant put a price on things like that try as they may.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The problem is the broad spectrum "rape" covers including a man having his way with his wife on the 17th consecutive night of "headaches".

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
"How credible is an 'alleged' child molester"
As credible as anyone until convicted.
Unfortunately, "not guilty until proven otherwise" only applies in courtrooms, not in general societies, hence the need for civil courts.
If some jacka$$ accused me of molestation or rape and I were not guilty, you can bet I'd be looking to sue their a$$ off.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"How credible is an 'alleged' child molester"
As credible as anyone until convicted.
Unfortunately, "not guilty until proven otherwise" only applies in courtrooms, not in general societies, hence the need for civil courts.
If some jacka$$ accused me of molestation or rape and I were not guilty, you can bet I'd be looking to sue their a$$ off.

Me too.......................................just before I killed him!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Still waiting for some explanation of this one.

Not sure what you want explained. I was just giving an example of one end of the spectrum as opposed to the other end where a young child was brutally raped in a back alley while walking home from her piano lessons.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not sure what you want explained. I was just giving an example of one end of the spectrum as opposed to the other end where a young child was brutally raped in a back alley while walking home from her piano lessons.

But your implication seemed to be that one was criminal, one wasn't. If your husband is raping you, it's no less criminal.

And the quotations "rape", imply you see it as less than rape if it's a husband forcing a wife.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But your implication seemed to be that one was criminal, one wasn't. If your husband is raping you, it's no less criminal.

And the quotations "rape", imply you see it as less than rape if it's a husband forcing a wife.

I'm not sure if that's correct or not, up until now I've thought that there are degrees of criminality in most crimes hence sentences can run the gamut from a fine and probation to life in prison.

Not exactly, I was thinking in a wider context, women have been known to holler "rape" long after the actual act for other reasons.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Furlong denies abuse allegations in statement of defence - British Columbia - CBC News

Now a third alleged victim has come forward. I just hope Mr. Furlong is guilty because this will surely destroy an innocent man!
In cases like this should the media be reporting BEFORE a guilty verdict is reached?
Absolutely they should. This could encourage others to come forward who have been abused and been too afraid to speak out. It also needs to go public to protect the accused. Others may come forward to defend him.

None of this can be hidden ever. That is what has perpetuated abuse...hiding things away. Bring it forward. I do not believe the identity of the accuser should ever be hidden either.

As for the credibility of the accused, that is not an issue any more than any other accused.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Absolutely they should. This could encourage others to come forward who have been abused and been too afraid to speak out. It also needs to go public to protect the accused. Others may come forward to defend him.

None of this can be hidden ever. That is what has perpetuated abuse...hiding things away. Bring it forward. I do not believe the identity of the accuser should ever be hidden either.

As for the credibility of the accused, that is not an issue any more than any other accused.

I agree with you in principle BUT I think when you publicly turn in the Hell's Angel member living upstairs in your apartment complex you should be able to have protection from the police as needed.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I agree with you in principle BUT I think when you publicly turn in the Hell's Angel member living upstairs in your apartment complex you should be able to have protection from the police as needed.
Even a hell's angel member will face his accuser and anyway that is a unique extenuating circumstance.This guy is not a Hell's Angel.
So regardless, it needs to be public.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Even a hell's angel member will face his accuser and anyway that is a unique extenuating circumstance.This guy is not a Hell's Angel.
So regardless, it needs to be public.

This Furlong fellow was supposedly a solid citizen with an impeccable reputation until these charges arose (not that, that proves anything) he still has to face the full brunt of the law, IF found guilty. I just have a problem with his name being spread all across the media based on two accusations. In short I think there should be disclosure at the time charges laid, not just when allegations are voiced.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
This Furlong fellow was supposedly a solid citizen with an impeccable reputation until these charges arose (not that, that proves anything) he still has to face the full brunt of the law, IF found guilty. I just have a problem with his name being spread all across the media based on two accusations. In short I think there should be disclosure at the time charges laid, not just when allegations are voiced.
Two accusations 40 years later to boot. Now three. Does that increase credibility or lessen it?

What if I ensure those accusers vanish because I am rich and powerful? Isn't that exactly what the RC church did? Kept the accusations quiet and ensured they never went to court and vanished. Aren't we trying to avoid that?

So how would keeping this all quiet work? How are you going to gag media; just for molestation accusations, or sex crimes in general or sex crimes against people you think are upstanding citizens or sex crimes that occurred years ago.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

So when should the public become aware of charges.

After a conviction.

Then how would others be able to provide evidence - for or against the accused

The public would lose trust -

Justice system is open to the public.

Now if the allegations are false what should be penalized, and severely is perjury. Which does not happen very often. As in close to nil

Check out the differing charges from perjury to obstructing justice.

A few sentences of 3- 5 years or so would become a deterrent.
131. Perjury | Criminal Code of Canada

131. Perjury

131. (1) Subject to subsection (3), every one commits perjury who, with intent to mislead, makes before a person who is authorized by law to permit it to be made before him a false statement under oath or solemn affirmation, by affidavit, solemn declaration or deposition or orally, knowing that the statement is false.

Video links, etc.

(1.1) Subject to subsection (3), every person who gives evidence under subsection 46(2) of the Canada Evidence Act, or gives evidence or a statement pursuant to an order made under section 22.2 of the Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters Act, commits perjury who, with intent to mislead, makes a false statement knowing that it is false, whether or not the false statement was made under oath or solemn affirmation in accordance with subsection (1), so long as the false statement was made in accordance with any formalities required by the law of the place outside Canada in which the person is virtually present or heard.

Idem

(2) Subsection (1) applies, whether or not a statement referred to in that subsection is made in a judicial proceeding.

132. Punishment

132. Every one who commits perjury is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.