Police Run Over, Kill Man For Seatbelt Violation

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Police Run Over, Kill Man For Seatbelt Violation

A disturbing dash cam video released yesterday shows a Florida police officer running over a suspect who was wanted for not wearing a seat belt.

WARNING: Strong language and violence not meant for children

Marlon Brown Dash Cam Video Being Run Over By Police - YouTube

DeLand Police Officer James Harris was fired over the incident, which killed the suspect, 38-year-old Marlon Robert Brown, according to the Ocala Post.

As the video shows, Brown, a known felon, fled from his car on foot after police attempted to pull him over for a seat belt violation.

During the chase, Harris drove around his fellow officers and sped towards Brown.

After Brown slipped and fell, Harris nailed him with his car.

“I think he’s underneath the [expletive] car,” one of the officers can be heard saying in the video.

The officers had to crouch down with flashlights to even see Brown and they apparently had to pick the car up by hand in order to reach him.

The department cited a “violation in police pursuit policy” as the reason for Harris’s termination.

Brown’s ex-wife received $550,000 from the city of DeLand as compensation for his death under terms that released the city from additional liability.

Brown’s family has since hired attorney Benjamin Crump, who also serves as legal representation for the Trayvon Martin family.

Crump referred to Brown’s death as an execution in a vegetable garden and has demanded an independent investigation.

Earlier this month, a grand jury declined to press charges against Harris.

The video, posted on YouTube, has sparked a debate in the video’s comment section.

“Not being snarky but being a felon was an issue to Mr. Brown so he ran,” vdelrio999 wrote. “Had he calmly waited outside his car, he wouldn’t have been chased, stumbled, and hit by the car.”

Another commenter disagreed.

“Had the rookie officer done the same as the two seasoned officers in the two police vehicles parked 20 feet away, then his stumbling and falling would have been followed by an arrest, not death,” he responded. “‘Not being snarky’ either.”

A commenter with the username ‘Criminal Justice’ felt that Brown could have handled the situation better.

“Is it sad someone died? Yes, but if you run from police things like this will and do happen,” he stated. “He was out past a court ordered curfew as well and he ran from two different agencies.”

But the police officer could have handled the situation better as well, Von Halford pointed out.

“I’m usually the first person who says ‘You shouldn’t have run,’ but I don’t think accelerating and smashing into someone running away is the code of conduct for police officers,” he wrote. “That’s called murder.”

“The man was running away, he wasn’t pulling a gun and the fact that he was being pulled over for a seatbelt violation tells me there is probably more to the story we don’t know.”

This story brings to mind the incident in California last month in which a police officer was caught on tape shooting and killing an unarmed homeless man, Hans Kevin Arellano, because he called her a “bitch.”

source: » Police Run Over, Kill Man For Seatbelt Violation Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Seat belts save lives. Case closed.
And ya know he ain't gonna do that again.

His ex wife came out well.

Brown’s ex-wife received $550,000 from the city of DeLand as compensation for his death under terms that released the city from additional liability.
The department cited a “violation in police pursuit policy” as the reason for Harris’s termination.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I actually feel better the RCMP are satisfied with just tasering old people and kicking
them in the face like they did in Kelowna. At least the Mounties have not taken to
running over people for seatbelt violations. This video should not be shown to the
RCMP though.
Seriously, how can the police justify such an action regardless of who they are after?
I he were armed and shooting at the cops that would be different but for a seat belt.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I actually feel better the RCMP are satisfied with just tasering old people and kicking
them in the face like they did in Kelowna. At least the Mounties have not taken to
running over people for seatbelt violations. This video should not be shown to the
RCMP though.
Seriously, how can the police justify such an action regardless of who they are after?
I he were armed and shooting at the cops that would be different but for a seat belt.

He should have been wearing it. He is the author of his demise.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
My take on this is it was murder! You can actually hear the engine gunned just before the impact and see the car veer to the right to hit him dead center. There is little room for doubt in my mind this officer had an intent to do serious harm to the victim and should be charged with 2nd degree murder. I might also suggest that if the prosecutor refuses to file charges he should be charges with conspiracy to commit murder and accessory after the fact.

I don't care if this guy just robbed a bank. The ONLY situation to ever excuse this conduct is if the victim is shooting into a crowd of innocent people on a murder rampage. There is really no other criminal activity to justify this.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The cop driving should face charges, in addition to his dismissal. The police dept has already publicly stated this was outside the boundaries of appropriate action, and in the end it cost a man his life.

At the same time, I shake my head at the victim. OK, I know he's a black man in Florida, but how stupid do you have to be to ignore the fact that in a chase, running from the cops ALWAYS ends badly... Pull over, take your ticket and possibly a verbal chastisement.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
My take on this is it was murder! You can actually hear the engine gunned just before the impact and see the car veer to the right to hit him dead center. There is little room for doubt in my mind this officer had an intent to do serious harm to the victim and should be charged with 2nd degree murder. I might also suggest that if the prosecutor refuses to file charges he should be charges with conspiracy to commit murder and accessory after the fact.

I don't care if this guy just robbed a bank. The ONLY situation to ever excuse this conduct is if the victim is shooting into a crowd of innocent people on a murder rampage. There is really no other criminal activity to justify this.

I couldn't agree more. Cops seem to get away with murder more often than not, they are given way too much authority.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think it's deplorable when police officers are not charged when there's been such a clear and obvious crime. If anything law enforcement needs to be held to a higher standard, they are supposed to be entrusted to uphold the law. If they are not properly charged, tried, punished when they do break the law, the ruin that trust.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
once again hiring low IQ's with anger management problems

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think it's deplorable when police officers are not charged when there's been such a clear and obvious crime. If anything law enforcement needs to be held to a higher standard, they are supposed to be entrusted to uphold the law. If they are not properly charged, tried, punished when they do break the law, the ruin that trust.

Did the Officer deliberately run him over?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes, but if you run from police things like this will and do happen

The hidden implication in that statement is that resisting arrest is punishable by death. It is not. Police need better training, to condition out of them the desire to 'win at all costs'. The only time it is okay to kill a fleeing suspect is if they are imminently going to kill someone else. You don't shoot, don't tase, don't run over. Period.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
We had a cop here in town who stood in front of a car he had cornered in a parking lot and drew his gun. Buddy starting revving his engine and the cop told him to stop but didn't move. Buddy ran at him and he still didn't move, buddy ran him down so he started firing. Six shots. i thought it was fireworks...faaaaaaaaack. Sirens blasting... cop had a broken leg... maybe it's just me but, if a car that I have been chasing containing robbery suspects heads my way, I am going to move...and I am not going to start firing in a freaking apartment parking lot.

It's becoming more bizarre by the story.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Geeezzzzzzzz.........and I thought only Tallahassee Cops were getting the job done ..............

The Tallahassee Democrat obtained footage of 44-year-old Christina West's arrest.

State Attorney Willie Meggs called the footage "very disturbing."

"I am extremely upset,” Meggs told the Democrat. “This is a very disturbing situation to me, and I’m dealing with it.”

Meggs also told WCTV that the video was "one of the most disturbing videos" he's ever seen.

A spokesperson for the Tallahassee Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The Democrat reports that there is an internal investigation underway.

WTSP reports that West, who was arrested on DUI and battery on a law-enforcement officer charges, was treated for "a broken orbital bone, along with a swollen eye, bloody nose and cuts to her arms and legs," that came as a result of the arrest.

video

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013130910009