President's family among dead in terror attack in Kenya mall by al-Qaeda-linked group

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
President's family among dead in terror attack on Kenyan mall by al-Qaeda-linked group

NAIROBI, Kenya — Terrified shoppers huddled in back hallways and prayed they would not be found by the Islamic extremist gunmen lobbing grenades and firing assault rifles inside Nairobi’s top mall Saturday. When the coast was thought to be clear, crying mothers clutching small children and blood-splattered men sprinted out of the four-story mall.

At least 39 people were killed and more than 150 wounded in the assault, Kenya’s president announced on national TV, while disclosing that his close family members were among the dead.

Foreigners were among the casualties. France’s president said that two French women were killed, and there were reports of American citizens injured, but the U.S. State Department said it had no further details.

Early Sunday morning, 12 hours after the attack began, gunmen remained holed up inside the mall with an unknown number of hostages. President Uhuru Kenyatta called the security operation under way “delicate” and said a top priority was to safeguard hostages.

As the attack unfolded shortly after noon Saturday, the al-Qaeda-linked gunmen asked the victims they had cornered if they were Muslim: If the answer was yes, several witnesses said, those people were free to go. The non-Muslims were not.

Somalia’s Islamic extremist group al-Shabab claimed responsibility and said the attack was retribution for Kenyan forces’ 2011 push into Somalia. The rebels threatened more attacks.

Al-Shabab said on its Twitter feed that Kenyan security officials were trying to open negotiations. “There will be no negotiations whatsoever,” al-Shabab tweeted.

As night fell in Kenya’s capital, two contingents of army special forces troops moved inside the mall.

Police and military surrounded the huge shopping complex as helicopters buzzed overhead. An Associated Press reporter said he saw a wounded Kenyan soldier put into an ambulance at nightfall, an indication, perhaps, of a continuing shoot-out inside.

Witnesses said at least five gunmen — including at least one woman — first attacked an outdoor cafe at Nairobi’s Westgate Mall, a shiny, new shopping centre that hosts Nike, Adidas and Bose stores. The mall’s ownership is Israeli, and security experts have long said the structure made an attractive terrorist target.

The attack began shortly after noon with bursts of gunfire and grenades. Shoppers — expatriates and rich Kenyans — fled in any direction that might be safe: into back corners of stores, back service hallways and bank vaults. Over the next several hours, pockets of people poured out of the mall as undercover police moved in. Some of the wounded were moved out in shopping carts.

“We started by hearing gunshots downstairs and outside. Later we heard them come inside. We took cover. Then we saw two gunmen wearing black turbans. I saw them shoot,” said Patrick Kuria, an employee at Artcaffe, the restaurant with shady outdoor seating.

Frank Mugungu, an off-duty army sergeant major, said he saw four male attackers and one female attacker. “One was Somali,” he said, but the others were black, suggesting that they could have been Kenyan or another nationality.

Al-Shabab, on its Twitter feed, said that it has many times warned Kenya’s government that failure to remove its forces from Somalia “would have severe consequences.” The group claimed that its gunmen had killed 100 people, but its assertions are often exaggerated.

“The attack at #WestgateMall is just a very tiny fraction of what Muslims in Somalia experience at the hands of Kenyan invaders,” al-Shabab said. Another tweet said: “For long we have waged war against the Kenyans in our land, now it’s time to shift the battleground and take the war to their land #Westgate.”

Al-Shabab threatened in late 2011 to unleash a large-scale attack in Nairobi. Kenya has seen a regular spate of grenade attacks since then but never such a large terrorist assault.

Nairobi’s mortuary superintendent, Sammy Nyongesa Jacob, said Africans, Asians and Caucasians were among the bodies brought to the mortuary.

source: President’s family among dead in terror attack on Kenyan mall by al-Qaeda-linked group | National Post

Kenya attack: inside the Nairobi shopping mall - YouTube

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
Western military analysts have long been saying that asymmetric warfare will play a larger and larger place in warfare. Many nations buy expensive weapons "systems" such as air and armored weapons carriers then can't resist trying them out on weaker neighbours. However today's infantryman can carry a bigger punch than a WW2 platoon. He might not be able to take out a tank but a shopping centre is less challenging, and behind every international bully is family neighbourhoods with shopping centres. Is this unfair? It depends - how fair are many of the opening attacks by world bullies? My militia might be no match for your tank brigade, but before you start something you'd better consider how your shopping centre will stand up against my militia. Payback can be a bitch.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
al qaeda is working for who?
You! Just like in Libya, PetroCanada needs your Corporate warmongering support. The Feds only sold off the Canadian division of PetroCan to Suncor. They kept the international operations as a Crown asset.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
My mother used to live in Kenya as a young girl, because her father was a soldier of the British Empire. He was one of the British soldiers who was based there to keep the barbarous natives in check.

As my grandfather was a high-ranking soldier, he was able to get a large mansion in Nairobi. There's an old black and white photo that I've been shown of my mother as a little girl with her two brothers and her mother and father all standing proudly on the balcony of their Nairobi home, with their black servants surrounding them with their exquisite trays of food and drink.

Kenya was just one of several places around the Empire where my mother and her parents and siblings lived. They also lived in other far-flung places of the Empire like Yemen and Singapore. In fact, my mother's going back to Singapore with my sister in November to visit the old British military home that they she used to live in, which is still standing in a former British military village, now used by ordinary civilians. The houses stood on stilts for when it flooded during thr rainy season. At the time they lived their, the surrounding area was just jungle. Now it's all skyscrapers.

People often say I'm British/Kenyan/Singaporean/Yemeni - plus whatever other places my family has a connection with.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
People often say I'm British/Kenyan/Singaporean/Yemeni

Really? After this remark;

My mother used to live in Kenya as a young girl, because her father was a soldier of the British Empire. He was one of the British soldiers who was based there to keep the barbarous natives in check.

I would assert they would call you a bigot *******.

That comment is also why the vast majority of the planet feels Brits are self centered imperialistic pieces of **** that view the rest of the world with contempt and that their inbred royal family makes themselves "royals" and everyone else peasants.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Really? After this remark;

That comment is also why the vast majority of the planet feels Brits are self centered imperialistic pieces of **** that view the rest of the world with contempt and that their inbred royal family makes themselves "royals" and everyone else peasants.

Honestly, just speaking for myself, I don't ascribe the same self centered imperialistic views to all Brits. In fact many of the Brits that I know personally are fantastic people and would be wholly ashamed by the small minded, bigoted rhetoric so often spewed by those arrogant enough to think they speak for all when they do speak.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

About 3-4 centuries worth anyway. Not so much today.

People often say I'm British/Kenyan/Singaporean/Yemeni - plus whatever other places my family has a connection with.

Probably their backhanded way of calling you a "barbarous native."

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Its time to wake up and realize we are at war with Islam George Bush may have
been right for the wrong reason. If the moderate Muslims do not stand up and
demand an end to their own radicals behaviour this thing is going to spill over
and it will be ugly at home and overseas. It ramps up with each attack. That is
what the nut cases want. All I hear from the Islamic community thus far is silence.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Honestly, just speaking for myself, I don't ascribe the same self centered imperialistic views to all Brits. In fact many of the Brits that I know personally are fantastic people and would be wholly ashamed by the small minded, bigoted rhetoric so often spewed by those arrogant enough to think they speak for all when they do speak.

I agree, I personally know many British, in business and personally, it's people like Blackleaf that give everyone else a bad name.

And he really spins my wheels.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its time to wake up and realize we are at war with Islam George Bush may have
been right for the wrong reason. If the moderate Muslims do not stand up and
demand an end to their own radicals behaviour this thing is going to spill over
and it will be ugly at home and overseas. It ramps up with each attack. That is
what the nut cases want. All I hear from the Islamic community thus far is silence.

I know Muslims serving in our military. If thats not taking a stand I dont know what is.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah? What for? For pointing out that my grandfather's army regiment was based in Kenya when it was part of the British Empire?

That comment is also why the vast majority of the planet feels Brits are self centered imperialistic pieces of **** that view the rest of the world with contempt

Funnily enough, that's also what the rest of the world feels about you Yanks, too. You lot hardly get foreigners throwing flowers at you and kissing your feet whenever you go abroad.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I agree, I personally know many British, in business and personally, it's people like Blackleaf that give everyone else a bad name.

I know you do, I get that.

It's easy enough to tell, I think, when you take into account the sum of all posts that a member makes as to the measure of the person that they are. Not that everybody takes the time to evaluate that, but many do.

And he really spins my wheels.
And I get that too, believe me. Lol.

Taking criticism is one thing; hell many times what a stranger might criticize is the same things we (whoever the 'we' happens to be in the situation) are also critical of. But still there's only so much constant nagging and snide remarks one can take before you just want to say "Piss off, ya' knob!".

Similar to the recent (or regurgitated depending on who you ask) member with a hard on hatred of all things American. ;)

A real troll doesn't get you pissed off at them, but rather gets people ticked at each other. It's that behaviour that always spins my wheels. :)

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well they were. Especially the Mau Mau.

Perhaps, but they had more of a right to be there than any Briton. So far as I know no one in the former colonies of the British Empire invited the British over and asked them to solve their internal problems. Generally they were taken by force.

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
Its time to wake up and realize we are at war with Islam George Bush may have been right for the wrong reason. If the moderate Muslims do not stand up and demand an end to their own radicals behaviour this thing is going to spill over
and it will be ugly at home and overseas. It ramps up with each attack. That is what the nut cases want. All I hear from the Islamic community thus far is silence.

This post sounds like something I would expect to read on a r/w US blog, not a Canadian web site.

"Modern" Muslims should stand up and object? So you are suggesting that Indonesian Muslims should rise up against ME Muslims? You think Canadians should be calling for the start of WW3?

Why should modern Muslims do this? Is it because American Christians are upset at ME Muslims for objecting to the US and its military? When dubya's father put together the coalition for the Gulf War it was on the US promise that when the war was over all US forces would leave Islam. America broke its promise once the war ended. Should modern Muslims around the world rise up against ME Muslims to support America in breaking its promises?

It would be equally as logical if somebody called for war against Canada for not controlling other world Christians. Should Canadians be held at fault for not attacking America over US military atrocities? Now that Russian Christianity is back on the upsurge, should Canadian Christians be held responsible for Russian atrocities in Chechnya? Or how about the world hold Quebec Roman Catholic Christians responsible for the Argentinian attack on the Falklands? Or is that too narrow and all Canadians should be blamed?

Right. Let's start WW3 over America's drive to dominate the 21st Century. First we kill all the Muslims. That's the American r/w meme. How sad to see it taken seriously on a Canadian web site.