Message in a bottle washes up on Vancouver Island after 107 years

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Message in a bottle washes up on Vancouver Island after 107 year

A British Columbia man has discovered what could be the oldest message in a bottle ever found.

Steve Thurber, of Courtenay B.C., found the century-old bottle washed up on a beach along Vancouver Island’s west coast, near Tofino.

"I was just walking along and here's this bottle lying in the sand. I thought it looked pretty neat and I picked it up and it had a message in it," Thurber told CTV News.

If the note inside the bottle -- dated Sept. 29, 1906 -- is authentic, the bottle found by Thurber could be the oldest ever recovered. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the previous record was set by a U.K. fisherman in 2012, when he found a message in the bottle dating back to 1914.

Thurber has yet to open the bottle, and the metal seal is visibly rusted from years in the ocean.

"It's been like that for 107 years and I'm not gonna just bust it open because I think there might be something else in there," Thurber said.

A close examination through the green-coloured glass shows a sealed envelope signed by someone named Earl Willard.

A message printed on the outside of the envelope spells out the time and place Willard launched the bottle: Over the side of a steamship heading from San Francisco, Calif., to Bellingham, Wa., after about 76 hours onboard. Bellingham is located 80 kilometres south of Vancouver.

"The chances of even finding it are amazing," Thurber said.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
When I was a much shorter ruffian, I used to collect, through electrolysis, hydrogen in balloons and launch them with notes should someone who could read find them. I have never received a reply. Possibly they are still airborne.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
When I was a much shorter ruffian, I used to collect, through electrolysis, hydrogen in balloons and launch them with notes should someone who could read find them. I have never received a reply. Possibly they are still airborne.

They just keep going, up, up and away?

Ok, so, if we get invaded by aliens, I'm blaming you. ;)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
that helps to disprove the roswell weather balloon. ;)