The French Beauty Pageant Debate

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
France has recently taken the step to ban beauty pageants for children under 16 years old, to prevent the 'hyper-sexualisation' of children (once they're sixteen, we're good to go though I guess?) My initial reaction was 'hell yeah, go France!' But, the more I think on it, the less impressed I am. From this article on the subject... " one of the few things worse than a network of beauty pageants for six-year-olds is a network of underground beauty pageants for six-year-olds."

Robyn Urback: France tries to legislate good parenting by banning child beauty pageants | National Post

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
France has recently taken the step to ban beauty pageants for children under 16 years old, to prevent the 'hyper-sexualisation' of children (once they're sixteen, we're good to go though I guess?) My initial reaction was 'hell yeah, go France!' But, the more I think on it, the less impressed I am. From this article on the subject... " one of the few things worse than a network of beauty pageants for six-year-olds is a network of underground beauty pageants for six-year-olds."

Robyn Urback: France tries to legislate good parenting by banning child beauty pageants | National Post

Well, the I guess it's one step in the right direction. Personally I wouldn't be heartbroken to see all beauty pageants become a thing of the past.

But most definitely we should be teaching our kids better things than to judge on outward appearance. "Go ahead kids, judge that book by it's cover! No chance you'll ever miss out on anything by sticking to that rule."

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Im pretty sure the underground ones would also be illegal. Not just the ones out in the open. I never really liked the idea of these things. Often the parents seemed to be the ones competing and wanting to win rather than the child. I love the idea of them all losing now.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Im pretty sure the underground ones would also be illegal. Not just the ones out in the open. I never really liked the idea of these things. Often the parents seemed to be the ones competing and wanting to win rather than the child. I love the idea of them all losing now.

lol!! That's kind of what would make the 'underground' WLDB.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Outlaw them until they are 16 yes! I can't stand how this crap makes these kids precocious mouthy brats and that their parents just eat it up and think it is precious and adorable.

Those little crowns are like the mark of the beast... they create monsters.

toddlers and tiaras s04e17 hdtv - YouTube