Via train, Ottawa city bus collide; 6 people dead

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Via train, Ottawa city bus collide; 6 people dead
Bus crashed through gates to hit train, says witness

By QMI Agency

OTTAWA - Six people are dead after a Via Rail train slammed into an Ottawa transit bus that apparently and inexplicably crashed through the crossing gates in southwest Ottawa on Wednesday morning.
Officials say 31 people were transported to areas hospitals and 11 of those are critical.
The crash happened at 8:48 a.m at the intersection of Woodroffe Ave. and Fallowfield Rd. in the Barhaven area of the city.
There is considerable damage to the double-decker bus, with the front almost entirely sheered off and metal scattering the roadway.
Mark Cogan was waiting about four cars back on Woodroffe at the time of the crash. He said both sets of guard rails were down at the intersection and the bus crashed through them.

“Everything was down, everybody was at a standstill,” he told QMI Agency. “(The bus) went through the guard rail.”
He said it appeared the train was slowing down as it approached Fallowfield station.
The crash could have been worse, he said, had the train hit the bus head on.
Instead, Cogan said the bus hit the train on the “second or third car.”
Cogan got out of his car to survey the scene. “People were filing out of the upper windows,” he said. “The whole left side of the bus, where the driver sits, was demolished.

Gregory Mech, who was on the bus, said the lights were flashing and rail crossings were down and passengers were screaming at the driver to stop.
Both Mech and Cogan also said the saw bodies after the crash.
“People were taking off their shirts, covering their faces,” he said.
Frantic family members flooded the area Wednesday morning looking for people who might have been on the bus.
The train came to a stop 100 or so metres from the scene. Via Rail has confirmed that no major injuries were reported on the train.
Train speeds and crossings through area have come up at city hall in the past.
Via was doing a risk assessment of running high-speed trains in the area.
Last April, the company said trains had been running between 60-70 km/h on average, but officials said Wednesday that they barely go 10 km/h through that particular crossing.
The city also paid a consultant to do an engineering assessment of the train crossing. Via Rail cancelled all Ottawa-Toronto trains for Wednesday

Via train, Ottawa city bus collide; 6 people dead - Canada - Canoe.ca

I'm sitting here thinking just how many time my children and myself have been on that train, it gives me shivers.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Looks like everyone on the train is fine. The people on the busses - not so much. Its a good thing they didnt hit the engine. It would have been a lot worse then. Im hoping they figure out the cause soon. I use OC Transpo every day.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm sitting here thinking just how many time my children and myself have been on that train, it gives me shivers.

It's one of my friend's bus routes to work. His wife posted to let everyone know he had already made it to work when it happened.

Looks like everyone on the train is fine. The people on the busses - not so much. Its a good thing they didnt hit the engine. It would have been a lot worse then. Im hoping they figure out the cause soon. I use OC Transpo every day.

I'm guessing the driver had a medical crisis....stroke, aneurysm, etc.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's one of my friend's bus routes to work. His wife posted to let everyone know he had already made it to work when it happened.

Good to know.

I'm thinking back over the years I lived in Ottawa just how many people I know, or I should say 'used to know' (having lost touch with more casual acquaintances over the years) that work for OC Transpo.

I'm guessing the driver had a medical crisis....stroke, aneurysm, etc.

That's what I was thinking. Can't think of any other reason the driver would go straight through the gate with passengers yelling at him to stop.

So sad.

Is that dedicated transitway in that area? I remember being on buses down those stretches of transitway and they go at quite the pace.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is that dedicated transitway in that area? I remember being on buses down those stretches of transitway and they go at quite the pace.

No. It looks like just an average road. The transitways are a lot wider.

That's what I was thinking. Can't think of any other reason the driver would go straight through the gate with passengers yelling at him to stop.

Its possible there was a problem with the breaks as well.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Gubmint needs to stop encouraging people to use mass transit. Prayers to the families of the dead. Speedy recovery to the injured.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Sounds to me either the driver was negligant or had a siesure of some sort.

With regards to the original article, I don't see how the speed of the train is the issue when the bus ran through the crossing gate.

Its possible there was a problem with the breaks as well.

I am sure his breaks were excactly what was required in his contract. I do believe they are unionized.

I do wonder what the maintenance history of his brakes were though.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah it was morbidly funny that the media were calling it 'the worst Canadian train accident since July...'

Deaths in Canada train-bus collision - Americas - Al Jazeera English

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
you go rub up against a train, and tell me its speed is irrelevant to the damage that occurs to you.

Trains almost never leave their tracks to hit someone. Therefor a smart person would be carefull in proximity to tracks. Others become Darwin award candidates. Unfortunatelt for the bus passengers they must rely on the driver and not their own skills for survival.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
you go rub up against a train, and tell me its speed is irrelevant to the damage that occurs to you.

It was not a case of driver crosses crossing and speeding train gets him. It was driver runs into train running through gates already down. The amount of damage may be affected by the speed of the train but not the fact there was a collision.

In Toronto, all busses stop at railway crossings even when they are totally quiet. They open the door, look both ways and proceed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It was not a case of driver crosses crossing and speeding train gets him. It was driver runs into train running through gates already down. The amount of damage may be affected by the speed of the train but not the fact there was a collision.

In Toronto, all busses stop at railway crossings even when they are totally quiet. They open the door, look both ways and proceed.

I'm simply pointing out that it's not 'irrelevant'. It IS relevant, it is a factor in how many people die, no matter how the accident occurs. If it had been a highspeed train, this accident would have a much higher death toll. The damage would have increased dramatically.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm simply pointing out that it's not 'irrelevant'. It IS relevant, it is a factor in how many people die, no matter how the accident occurs. If it had been a highspeed train, this accident would have a much higher death toll. The damage would have increased dramatically.
If ifs and buts were fruit and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario
The girlfriend and I are good and safe here. Despite the crash being on the same street as Algonquin, we were not affected by it in either location or transit. (We walk.)

The college has been chatting quite a bit about it. There is not one section of the school that does not have either the news on or people talking about it.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by this tragedy.