Poachers poison watering holes with cyanide, killing 41 African elephants

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Police in northern Zimbabwe are reporting that they recently apprehended a group of poachers possessing a large quantity of tusks taken from elephants on the grounds of Hwange National Park. Instead of using high-powered rifles to kill the animals, however, Chief Inspector Muyambirwa Muzzah says that the poachers laced their watering holes with cyanide.

Unfortunately, such broadly applied poison can easily lead to wildlife fatalities beyond its intended targets.

“What they were doing is very cruel because it does not end with the death of the elephants. We have what we call the fourth generation effect due to the potency of cyanide as a poison. Animals that feed on the dead elephants will die and those that feed on the dead animals will also die," Muzzah tells The Chronicle.

"It will go back on the food chain and hundreds of animals may end up dead.”

Last May, another poaching racket was found to have employed a similar method of poisoning elephants' drinking water and collecting the tusks from their corpses; the five-member group was sentenced to two years in prison for the crime.

Since then, says Muzzah, 69 elephants have been killed in this region of Zimbabwe. Despite conservation efforts meant to protect the species, elephants across Africa have been in steady decline due to poaching, fueled largely by the illegal ivory trade. At current rates, elephants are projected to be extinct in the wild in little over a decade -- though if mass poisonings become the prefered method among poachers, extinction could occur even sooner.

Poachers poison watering holes with cyanide, killing 41 African elephants : TreeHugger

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Freaking ivory and the idiotic people who will pay outrageous prices for it. This kind of pointless killing just really pisses me off, it's cruel and it's barbaric to take a life for nothing more than a trinket. It's not even a trophy hunting issue, which I'm also not overly crazy about, because there is zero skill involved.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
They're only elephants.

I'd be more concerned had it been 41 humans that were killed.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They're only elephants.

I'd be more concerned had it been 41 humans that were killed.
would have been okey dokey with me if it had been the humans who added the poison to the water who died... value is relative to behaviour in my world.

I don't see human life having much more value than an elephants in fact some have less.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
For me it's not that elephants in particular, or animals in general, have any more or even necessarily equivalent value to human life. It's about the reasoning behind the ending of a life, any life, that is the issue. To end a life for a "thing" is wrong, to end a life for survival is not. All life consumes other life to survive. Ivory piano keys and statuary are not necessary for survival.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
For me it's not that elephants in particular, or animals in general, have any more or even necessarily equivalent value to human life. It's about the reasoning behind the ending of a life, any life, that is the issue. To end a life for a "thing" is wrong, to end a life for survival is not. All life consumes other life to survive. Ivory piano keys and statuary are not necessary for survival.
the fact that it was elephants who died sickens me...but had it been dogs or cats or rabbits it is still an insidious criminal act...and yes, it's the intent that makes me go crazy ....the intent was to end their life for profit...such big beautiful endangered beasts...they had done nothing wrong, they were innocents under protection... I don't know who buys this kind of trinket but they are despicable human life forms for they have committed crimes much larger than this for sure... and the same goes for those who added the poison...despicable waste of air and space on the planet.

they are vile

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
would have been okey dokey with me if it had been the humans who added the poison to the water who died... value is relative to behaviour in my world.

I don't see human life having much more value than an elephants in fact some have less.

I'll remember that then if you and your kids are ever poisoned to death.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Police in northern Zimbabwe are reporting that they recently apprehended a group of poachers possessing a large quantity of tusks taken from elephants on the grounds of Hwange National Park.

There are worse than Zimbabweans when it comes to killing animals.

I mean, just look at Brazilians. Think about all those millions of pubic lice that they kill every year.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't get the reference to Brazil and pubic lice? :grommit:

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't get the reference to Brazil and public lice? :grommit:

He's trying to show we're being hypocritical by condemning the cyanide poisoning of elephants while ignoring the "mass slaughter of innocent lice".

He's failing mind you, but he did try. Lol.

True. But even then wiping out the entire species could be even more dangerous.

Then that would become a different conundrum to be weighed in that instance.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
He's trying to show we're being hypocritical by condemning the cyanide poisoning of elephants while ignoring the "mass slaughter of innocent lice".

He's failing mind you, but he did try. Lol.
*sigh* no wonder I think the human species and its' right to exist is questionable.

on the other hand, lice is a part of the food chain at least they contribute...man on the other hand... with cremation and air tight coffins...nada...

if there is a higher power, the disappointment must be devastating

when those elephants died it created a gap that filled with sorrow...when the poisoners die, they should hope someone will miss them

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
*sigh* no wonder I think the human species and its' right to exist is questionable.

on the other hand, lice is a part of the food chain at least they contribute...man on the other hand... with cremation and air tight coffins...nada...

if there is a higher power, the disappointment must be devastating

when those elephants died it created a gap that filled with sorrow...when the poisoners die, they should hope someone will miss them

You're far more philosophical about it than I am, lol. But that's okay, at the end of the day, we're pretty much saying the same thing.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

When cremating a person or animal most of the body is vaporized. It goes into the air and back to nature. The minerals that remain do the same when scattered.

When it comes to the coffins - most of them decay over time and collapse soon after burial unless made of stone or metal.

Personally Im donating my body to a med school. They can do whatever they want to it if they think its useful. Seems like a waste to me to throw it away or destroy it if it can be of some use.

Their customers may.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
When cremating a person or animal most of the body is vaporized. It goes into the air and back to nature. The minerals that remain do the same when scattered.

When it comes to the coffins - most of them decay over time and collapse soon after burial unless made of stone or metal.

Personally Im donating my body to a med school. They can do whatever they want to it if they think its useful. Seems like a waste to me to throw it away or destroy it if it can be of some use.

Have you researched that? I only ask because, when going through the website for the crematorium after my mother passed, I recall reading an article they had posted about the different ways to deal with human remains. Seem to remember reading something about the schools having the right to reject the remains at the time (they may not have need of them for whatever reason) which would leave the disposal of the remains back in the hands of the family.

Just something to keep in mind since the whole point of pre-arrangements is so the family won't have to make these decisions.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Well good to know we as a species contribute despite our nature. I am a donor but doubt if the body parts are reusable by now so complete donation to science is likely.
Their customers may.
doubt it, another evil sod will quickly assume the position, those vacancies never last

You're far more philosophical about it than I am, lol. But that's okay, at the end of the day, we're pretty much saying the same thing.
hey it's Sunday morning and I'm still on my first coffee, so I am just stumbling along...

Have you researched that? I only ask because, when going through the website for the crematorium after my mother passed, I recall reading an article they had posted about the different ways to deal with human remains. Seem to remember reading something about the schools having the right to reject the remains at the time (they may not have need of them for whatever reason) which would leave the disposal of the remains back in the hands of the family.

Just something to keep in mind since the whole point of pre-arrangements is so the family won't have to make these decisions.
they could garbage bag me for all I care... I know, I know...that freaks some out but really, I am not gonna care what they do with me...that should make it relatively easy.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
they could garbage bag me for all I care... I know, I know...that freaks some out but really, I am not gonna care what they do with me...that should make it relatively easy.

Lol, I get that and can't say I particularly care about that either.

But there is nothing worse than wondering what someone would have wanted. I plan to pre-arrange everything and leave very specific instructions.