Tory MPP Peter Shurman — who represents Toronto — bills $20,719 for second home in Ni

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Tory MPP Peter Shurman — who represents Toronto — bills $20,719 for second home in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Tory MPP Peter Shurman — who represents Toronto — bills $20,719 for second home in Niagara-on-the-Lake | National Post

TORONTO — Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak won’t say if he approved a move by his party’s finance critic to bill taxpayers over $20,000 last year for a second residence in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Peter Shurman represents the Toronto riding of Thornhill and has an apartment in the city, but last year claimed the maximum $20,719 housing allowance for members of the legislature who live more than 50 kilometres from Queen’s Park.

A Toronto-area Progressive Conservative MPP whose riding is a half-hour drive from the legislature is billing taxpayers for his second residence.

Last year, Tory finance critic Peter Shurman claimed $20,719, the maximum permitted, from a housing allowance that was set up to help representatives of far-flung constituencies pay for accommodation in Toronto. Mr. Shurman received the funds because he claims a home in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont. – about 150 kilometres away from his riding – as his primary residence. He uses the money to help pay rent on his Toronto apartment.

n an interview, Mr. Shurman said he bought the house in Niagara because he needs somewhere to retire. Asked why he decided to use it to charge the government for expenses, Mr. Shurman said he could not pay for two residences without assistance.

“Frankly, on the basis of … how we’re paid at the legislature, I can’t afford two houses,” he said in an interview. “I make $112,500 a year. Some people think that’s a lot of money. To do what I have to do, or any MPP has to do, it’s not very much at all.”

Mr. Shurman and his wife bought the house in Niagara-on-the-Lake in 2008 for $660,000. He said they initially rented it out. When the tenants’ lease expired, he had it renovated and began spending time there. This summer, he said, he was there more than he was in Toronto.

He said he does not live in his constituency, suburban Thornhill, because his wife’s eyesight is poor and she is unable to drive. He said he previously lived in the area for 20 years and remains connected to it.

“I’ve served my constituents wonderfully, as evidenced by two re-elections, and I’m quite confident of a third,” he said.

Mr. Shurman said he cleared claiming his home with Tory Leader Tim Hudak. Asked whether he thought Mr. Shurman’s use of taxpayer dollars was appropriate, Mr. Hudak’s office did not provide comment.

The Tories, and Mr. Shurman in particular, have criticized the governing Liberals’ spending habits.

h

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I was wondering how long it would take before someone posted this... what a joke these guys are... they should all be doing time. Bastards!

The word crook and politician have become synonymous in my mind.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And this is exactly the kind of "who'd of thunk it, while we were all so busy been ticked at the provincial Libs and the Senators this is the garbage that goes on" thing that I was talking about here.

Politicians tend to drive me all crazy equally. Maybe because I'm always more interested in looking for the "other angle", lol. I just assume that if candidate A is driving me crazy then there's got to be some stuff about candidate B that's being overshadowed at the moment, that would drive me equally nuts.

Politicians, insurance adjusters, CRA auditors....they all circle that one level of hell.

I've always been a touch jaded and cynical, but I really find myself feeling pure out right disgust and mistrust with all politicians these days because I just assume (no more than assume, believe) that they are all freaking ripping us off!!!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And this is exactly the kind of "who'd of thunk it, while we were all so busy been ticked at the provincial Libs and the Senators this is the garbage that goes on" thing that I was talking about here.

I've always been a touch jaded and cynical, but I really find myself feeling pure out right disgust and mistrust with all politicians these days because I just assume (no more than assume, believe) that they are all freaking ripping us off!!!
It's all in your head...paranoia ya know...:roll: transparency and trust. yes sirree

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Check the Liberal MP's, Federal that were caught while Harper was in power. It is an all crooks camp. They all cover for the other regardless of Party, and when they talk about how wrong this is and such. You know they are lying Mfukers.
Crooked as a dogs hind leg.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
and the jig is up pigs, the trough is empty

I'm not bitter...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's all in your head...paranoia ya know...:roll: transparency and trust. yes sirree

Accountability does not mean they be a'counting the taxpayer money as they line their pockets. Somebody needs to esplain that to 'em. Preferably someone large and intimidating.

Check the Liberal MP's, Federal that were caught while Harper was in power. It is an all crooks camp. They all cover for the other regardless of Party, and when they talk about how wrong this is and such. You know they are lying Mfukers.
Crooked as a dogs hind leg.

And here in Ontario, after the disgusting money wasting we've endured under the Liberal government, this is who is representing our option for change???? What would be the freaking point?

and the jig is up pigs, the trough is empty

I'm not bitter...

Really? Because you sound bitter...very bitter.

Oh no, wait, that's merely lack of Chardonnay I'm detecting. Go grab the corkscrew, resist the urge to plunge it into the arterial vein of the closest politician, and soon all your worries will melt away. :D

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Accountability does not mean they be a'counting the taxpayer money as they line their pockets. Somebody needs to esplain that to 'em. Preferably someone large and intimidating.

And here in Ontario, after the disgusting money wasting we've endured under the Liberal government, this is who is representing our option for change???? What would be the freaking point?

Really? Because you sound bitter...very bitter.

Oh no, wait, that's merely lack of Chardonnay I'm detecting. Go grab the corkscrew, resist the urge to plunge it into the arterial vein of the closest politician, and soon all your worries will melt away. :D
it just frustrates and angers and disgusts me so much I can't even express it

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
it just frustrates and angers and disgusts me so much I can't even express it

I get that. I really do.

When the topic of politics/current events happens to come up at work and you find that, while merely expressing your informed opinion, your co-workers have suddenly developed the ability to astutely imitate a deer caught in the headlights and a sudden propensity for walking backwards out of a room, well.....you realize that you may be having a difficult time calmly expressing your inner feelings.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I get that. I really do.

When the topic of politics/current events happens to come up at work and you find that, while merely expressing your informed opinion, your co-workers have suddenly developed the ability to astutely imitate a deer caught in the headlights and a sudden propensity for walking backwards out of a room, well.....you realize that you may be having a difficult time calmly expressing your inner feelings.

Like that commercial- They blend into the wall when the boss asks a question. Wallflowers.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Flowers are pretty, they don't deserve that moniker. Just saying.
It was a descriptive term and no offense was intended to the innocent and beautiful flowers. My apologies.
I do wish I could find that commercial.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It was a descriptive term and no offense was intended to the innocent and beautiful flowers. My apologies.
I do wish I could find that commercial.

I think I know the commercial you're referring to, and fortunately while many people do talk to their plants, I don't think it's ever been conclusively proven that they have ears....so probably no offense taken. :)

My personal "go to" when it comes to politicians is....

The Beatles: Piggies lyrics - YouTube

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Does this mean Harper likely will not appoint him a Senate seat..........?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The finance critic for the party that is supposed to represent financial responsibility???

OH TEH IRONING

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Has he done anything illegal? According to two lawyers on 640 this morning he's not breaking any law.