Geezus Not again -Taser used on 80-year-old woman in Mississauga

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Taser used on 80-year-old woman in Mississauga

Must have been one helluva tough 80 year old to need a Taser.
Yep- Do not FF around with an 80 year old woman. No Sirreee.

Taser used on 80-year-old woman in Mississauga - Toronto - CBC News

Ontario's police watchdog is investigating after officers deployed a Taser on an 80-year-old woman in Mississauga, Ont.

The Special Investigations Unit said the incident under investigation occurred in the Thomas Street and Erin Mills Parkway area in the early hours of Aug. 28.

Their preliminary information indicates that Peel Regional Police had received calls about a woman walking along the road.

The SIU said that police spoke with the woman and "at some point" a Taser was deployed and the woman fell to the ground.

The woman was taken to Credit Valley Hospital where she was treated for injuries that included a broken hip.

The SIU has identified one subject officer and two witness officers.

The SIU investigates all incidents involving police in which death or serious injury occur, or when allegations of sexual assault are raised.

Ontario recently announced that it would allow local police forces to decide which officers can carry and use Tasers, after reviewing data that suggests their use results in "fewer significant injuries" to police and the public.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unbelievable...I don't usually jump to this conclusion ( I like to give the authorities the benefit of the doubt but I honestly think they get the short end of the stick a lot of times) but someone is going to have to come up with a very, very convincing reason why an 80 year old woman needed to be put down that way. Honestly, what the **** are they thinking?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Unbelievable...I don't usually jump to this conclusion ( I like to give the authorities the benefit of the doubt but I honestly think they get the short end of the stick a lot of times) but someone is going to have to come up with a very, very convincing reason why an 80 year old woman needed to be put down that way. Honestly, what the **** are they thinking?

Same as I - She must have been a WWF type- fuk me- an 80 year old. Fell and broke her hip, rather tough woman eh.
I wonder how much of the truth we will see.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What ever happen to the good ol' goose neck and thumb lock? Tyranny, that's what happened to the goose neck and thumb lock.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I thought the understanding was that tasers are for use in place of guns, and only when guns are meant to be used. But it seems to be that officers see them as 'innocuous', and thus will use them where they wouldn't, in fact, use a gun. Tasering grandma doesn't fly unless she was needing to be shot to save lives in that moment.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well Goober, at least they didn't shoot her.

I have a number of friends that were Police Officers. Did their time, retired. Their personal disgust at the Van airport incident, the Officers walking free, the so called professionalism in some younger Officers. Well they are filled with disgust to say the least.

The system that has so called oversight is rotten to the core.

I thought the understanding was that tasers are for use in place of guns, and only when guns are meant to be used. But it seems to be that officers see them as 'innocuous', and thus will use them where they wouldn't, in fact, use a gun. Tasering grandma doesn't fly unless she was needing to be shot to save lives in that moment.

Waiting for the spin on this. She had a cane........................ The Officer took it as a stapler.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
was it a copy-cat mcnugget scene with a more favourable outcome?

nevermind.... guess I'll have to read it. *sigh*

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
was it a copy-cat mcnugget scene with a more favourable outcome?

nevermind.... guess I'll have to read it. *sigh*

3 of them. My one rough & tough 80 year old. Yessire. Wait for the spin.
SIU investigates Peel police tasering of 80-year-old woman | Toronto Star

At around 3:30 a.m. on Aug. 28, police were called to Thomas St. and Erin Mills Pkwy responding to reports of a woman walking along the road.

Three officers spoke with the woman on scene
. According to the SIU, the woman was hit with a stun gun by one of the officers and fell to the ground. She was rushed to Credit Valley Hospital and treated for a fractured hip as well as other injuries.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Is a tazer being renamed a senior zapper? Get the old folks why not wait no
don't I'm a senior. Whatever happened to respect for grandma and grandpa.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Is a tazer being renamed a senior zapper? Get the old folks why not wait no
don't I'm a senior. Whatever happened to respect for grandma and grandpa.
Watch it Bucky- Heard you get that Seniors Discount.
Watch your step picking those apples eh......

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Torture weapons.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Torture weapons.

They serve a purpose. Problem is the training, the training, the training.
And no real civilian oversight along where Officer will lie and hide, refuse to testify, behind the thin blue line. Fire the Fukers.
And if required open the Contracts.
Lie and you are gone.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
3 of them. My one rough & tough 80 year old. Yessire. Wait for the spin.
SIU investigates Peel police tasering of 80-year-old woman | Toronto Star

At around 3:30 a.m. on Aug. 28, police were called to Thomas St. and Erin Mills Pkwy responding to reports of a woman walking along the road.

Three officers spoke with the woman on scene
. According to the SIU, the woman was hit with a stun gun by one of the officers and fell to the ground. She was rushed to Credit Valley Hospital and treated for a fractured hip as well as other injuries.
oh. was she blocking the way to the donut shop? ya gotta watch that with some cops, they're not screened to well for that sh*t... like the broad who couldn't get her mcnuggles

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They serve a purpose. Problem is the training, the training, the training.
And no real civilian oversight along where Officer will lie and hide, refuse to testify, behind the thin blue line. Fire the Fukers.
And if required open the Contracts.
Lie and you are gone.
They need to be trained not to torture with torture weapons? Right now they are in the torture weapons "pull ups" stage?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
They need to be trained not to torture with torture weapons? Right now they are in the torture weapons "pull ups" stage?
Tasers have a place and a purpose. When properly used. Labeling them as torture weapons is BS.
Yes people die from Tasers, but a hell of a lot less than from gunshots.
Pick you poison.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Thinking! Christ they arent paid to do that, they arent even required to be able to do that to get jobs.

Tasers have a place and a purpose. When properly used. Labeling them as torture weapons is BS.
Pick you poison.

And what,s all this nonsense about thumbscrews and water boarding? If they were only allowed to break ankles, like in the old days, none of this would have happened.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pick you poison.
Apparently they aren't being used properly. A gooseneck and a thumb lock will make anybody, even grandma comply.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Women who break a hip at age 65 years or older face double the risk of dying within the coming year compared with those without a hip fracture, even if they have an otherwise excellent bill of health, according to an analysis of osteoporotic fractures published online September 26 in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/750611