Fire, explosions rock machine shop in Nova Scotia town

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Fire, explosions rock machine shop in Nova Scotia town

STEWIAKE, N.S. -- About 20 people were forced from their homes early Saturday as multiple explosions rocked the site of a machine shop in downtown Stewiacke, N.S.
The RCMP said the first explosion rang out around 4:30 a.m. at BJ Electric Motor and Control Ltd. on George Street after several employees noticed a small fire.
"I think they were responding to smoke alarms going off there," said Cpl. Addie Maccallum. "They discovered the small fire and an explosion took place while they were there. No one was injured."

Multiple explosions followed as the flames spread, fuelled by combustible materials stored on site.
"It was like a war zone," said Mark Crozier, the town's deputy fire chief. "It was just explosion after explosion."
He said between 60 and 70 firefighters were called in to help fight the blaze as the explosions continued and homes in the area were evacuated as a precaution.
"We knew we were in for a long one," said Crozier. "Being an industrial building, they have a lot of big, industrial, electric motors in there, the transformers for Nova Scotia Power are stored there, acetylene torches, propane tanks -- all kinds of goodies."
No one was seriously hurt, but two firefighters were taken to hospital by ambulance with minor injuries. Crozier said one of the firefighters hurt his ankle while another was treated for dehydration.
Evacuees were allowed to return to their homes about two hours after the fire broke out.
Crozier said at least two buildings owned by the company were destroyed in the fire. A third building that houses the company's computer equipment sustained serious damage, he said.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Read more: Fire, explosions rock machine shop in downtown Stewiacke, N.S. | CTV News

Thank goodness there were no serious injuries. Anything close enough to a residential area to melt the siding on a house has the potential for massive casualties!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's a bit ridiculous how close planners will allow industrial areas and residential areas. Here in Charlottetown there is a chemical processing facility where they make pharmaceuticals, that is going to the Supreme Court over the cities decision to allow a multi-unit apartment complex to be built right behind the chemical storage area of the facility. Nasty chemicals too...I sure wouldn't rent in that building.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's a bit ridiculous how close planners will allow industrial areas and residential areas. Here in Charlottetown there is a chemical processing facility where they make pharmaceuticals, that is going to the Supreme Court over the cities decision to allow a multi-unit apartment complex to be built right behind the chemical storage area of the facility. Nasty chemicals too...I sure wouldn't rent in that building.

I'll bet someone will. If they're building rental units there's got to be a demand for them. Someone will need a place to stay bad enough to take the risk.

Or they'll assume, and I can't really blame them for the assumption necessarily, that since the city allowed the units to be built that no real risk exists.