Limit 5-year olds to 3 pop a day

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Who in their right minds gives a 5-year old pop, let alone numerous bottles of pop a day? Big surprise that those kids become violent knuckleheads, chugging that garbage down. People need to give their heads a shake.

Yahoo!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I got some when I was that age. About half a can from what I recall. Never 1-3. That is a bit excessive for a kid that young. Didn't do anything to me. When it comes to sugar they arent really any worse than the fruit juices kids drink. There isnt caffeine in every pop so it may not have anything to do with it as the article suggests.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I got some when I was that age. About half a can from what I recall. Never 1-3. That is a bit excessive for a kid that young. Didn't do anything to me. When it comes to sugar they arent really any worse than the fruit juices kids drink. There isnt caffeine in every pop so it may not have anything to do with it as the article suggests.
Well, yeah, all things in moderation, as it were.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Well actually the fruit juices have some nutritional value, the pop has none except sugar. Both are high in sugar content, but at least the juices are better for the kid.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well actually the fruit juices have some nutritional value, the pop has none except sugar. Both are high in sugar content, but at least the juices are better for the kid.

Slightly, as long as it's unsweetened. Tomato juice or V-8 might not be too bad. What's really criminal is the doses of pop at fast food joints. The large has to be damn near a quart, containing the equivalent of about 12 tsps. of sugar.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
OP Link said:
“We can hypothesize that it could be the caffeine, or that it could be the sugar,” Suglia said. “But we really don’t know for sure.”
It's not the sugar. It is the colouring agents!

In the EU foods with artificial dyes come with warning labels.

Personally, I can't consume anything with Yellow #5 aka Tartrazine. I get really bad muscle cramps to the point it could make my heart seize and really bad headaches.

Can food dye cause hyperactivity?

A study by the United Kingdom’s Food Standards Agency in 2007 showed that the
consumption of foods containing dyes could increase hyperactive behavior in
children. In the study of 3-, 8- and 9-year-olds, children were given three
different types of beverages to drink. Then their behavior was evaluated by
teachers and parents.

One of the drink mixtures contained artificial food colorings, including:
  • Sunset yellow (E110)
  • Carmoisine (E122)
  • Tartrazine (E102)
  • Ponceau 4R (E124)
It also contained the preservative sodium
benzoate. The second drink mixture included:

• Quinoline yellow (E104)
  • Allura red (E129)
  • Sunset yellow
  • Carmoisine
It also had sodium benzoate. The third drink mixture was a placebo and
contained no additives.

The researchers found that hyperactive behavior by the 8- and 9-year-olds
increased with both the mixtures containing artificial coloring additives. The
hyperactive behavior of 3-year-olds increased with the first beverage but not
necessarily with the second. They concluded that the results show an adverse
effect on behavior after consumption of the food dyes.

During the past 50 years, the amount of chemical dye used in foods has increased by a whopping 500%. Could it be one of the causes of the alarming rise in child behavioral problems, aggression and ADHD? Studies show it’s a definite possibility. This article will help you to understand a little more about food dye, how it can negatively affect your child’s behavior and what you can do to fight back.
Symptoms of Food-Dye-Related Behavioral Problems

The type of behavioral problems caused by food dye will depend on the child. Common symptoms of food-dye-related behavioral problems are:
  • Hyperactivity
  • Inability to Concentrate
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Insomnia (Which Contributes to Poor Behavior)
  • Aggressive Behavior
  • Irritability
  • Tantrums/Meltdowns
  • Frequent Crying Spells
These symptoms may also indicate a mental or physical illness and your child may be diagnosed as having one. However, before putting him or her on medication, which might cause unwanted side effects, take a closer look into food dyes first.
Food Dyes that Cause Child Behavioral Problems

So which food dyes should you be watching out for? While no petroleum-based food dye could possibly be considered healthy, these two food dyes have been particularly associated with child behavioral problems:
Red #40

Red dye #40 has been most commonly associated with aggressive and impulsive behavior in children. Tantrums, hitting, kicking and swearing are common reactions in children sensitive to this dye. According to research, parents whose children consumed any food with this dye experienced a sudden and violent change in personality. When the dye was removed, the behavioral problems disappeared.
Yellow #5

Yellow #5 is most commonly associated with insomnia, which can lead to behavioral problems. Hyperactivity and learning disabilities have also been associated with this food dye.
Aside from Red #40 and Yellow #5, there are dozens more food dyes that can contribute to child behavioral problems.
Sources of Food Dyes

So where are all of these behavior-altering food dyes coming from? Here is a short list of the common culprits:
  • Breakfast Cereals
  • Candy
  • Ice Cream
  • Fruit Juice
  • Gelatin Desserts
  • Soft Drinks
  • Medications
  • Toothpaste

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Slightly, as long as it's unsweetened. Tomato juice or V-8 might not be too bad. What's really criminal is the doses of pop at fast food joints. The large has to be damn near a quart, containing the equivalent of about 12 tsps. of sugar.
V8 has really high sodium

kids should be having pop as a treat and drinking primarily water

like us