Black teen allegedly denied heart transplant due to low grades

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A black teen in Atlanta who needs a life-saving transplant is being denied due to his low grades, according to the 15-year-old boy’s family and friends.

Doctors say Anthony Stokes only has 6 months to live because of an enlarged heart. But Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, where he is receiving treatment, has said he doesn’t qualify for a life-saving heart transplant because he failed his pre-transplant evaluation.
“Based on this meeting and discussion by our team, the decision was made that Anthony is currently not a transplant candidate due to having a history of noncompliance, which is one of our center’s contraindications to listing for heart transplant,” the hospital said in a letter to Stokes’ family.

Due to a lack of donors, hospitals have strict guidelines for who can receive an organ. Noncompliance generally refers to patients who refuse to take medications or fail to show up to clinic visits. But Stokes’ family says the teen is considered noncompliant in part because of his low grades and trouble with the law.
“The non-compliance is fabricating, because they don’t want to give him a heart,” family friend Mack Major told WSBTV. “This is unacceptable because he must lose his life because of a noncompliance.”
The hospital has denied any wrongdoing.
“The well-being of our patients is always our first priority. We are continuing to work with this family and looking at all options regarding this patient’s healthcare. We follow very specific criteria in determining eligibility for a transplant of any kind,” a spokesperson said.

Black teen allegedly denied heart transplant due to low grades | The Raw Story

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

If I were giving out heart transplants and didn't have enough hearts for for everyone who needed one, would I give one to a person who was unlikely to do everything neccessary to support the operation. I think not.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Looks to me as if the hospital requires certain things to be followed diligently. If they aren't followed, it could jeopardize stuff.
On the other hand, wtf business is it of the hospital's that the kid has low class grades? Weird.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Looks to me as if the hospital requires certain things to be followed diligently. If they aren't followed, it could jeopardize stuff.
On the other hand, wtf business is it of the hospital's that the kid has low class grades? Weird.

Did you misread this topic or did I? My read was that he was being left off the transplant list because of non-compliance, not low grades.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

The parents say it's low grades, but give no explanation of why they feel that's the issue. Parents think a lot of weird things. It doesn't make it reality.

While I may be wrong, there are ethical committees to make these decisions, and I doubt that, ethically, they factor in the grades of a child. What the DO factor in however, is compliance with medications and doctors' orders.

I do not want to sound heartless, but, the fact that this family seems to have misconstrued what is being said to them by the doctors, kind of explains why the transplant board doesn't find him a good risk.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I loved the picture where they show the kid playing chess. That ought to be good for ten points.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Neither, you were reading between my lines and shouldn't have been.
Karrie's got the same view I have. It's just too weird.

From the OP:

“Based on this meeting and discussion by our team, the decision was made that Anthony is currently not a transplant candidate due to having a history of noncompliance, which is one of our center’s contraindications to listing for heart transplant,” the hospital said in a letter to Stokes’ family.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
From the OP:

yes but the family has chosen to interpret that in a different way

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
From the OP:

Yeah? I read that. You have a point?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I have found out what the hospital said. Apparently the kid didn't take his medications and whatever else to control his condition and this is what they meant by noncompliance.

Stokes' sporadic missing of medication doses before his transplant made him too much of a risk to receive a donor heart, since competition for said hearts is stiff. If the hospital determines that Stokes cannot be trusted to take medication regularly, they indicate that he is too much of a risk to survive with a rare donor heart.

Click on the blue highlights to get details.

To the Family of Anthony Stokes:

This is a follow-up to Anthony's heart transplant evaluation which was completed today, August 7th, 2013. The heart transplant multidisciplinary team met today to discuss Anthony's transplant candidacy. Based on this meeting and discussion by our team, the decision was made that Anthony is currently not a transplant candidate due to having a history of non-compliance, which is one of our center’s contraindications to listing for heart transplant. As we discussed today with Anthony’s mother, we will not place Anthony on the heart transplant waiting list at this time due to this decision.

Anthony Stokes will get a heart.

According to Stokes’ family, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston reversed course this afternoon and has agreed to add the 15-year-old to its donor list. The decision comes days after the hospital informed Stokes’ family that he would not be a good candidate for a new heart, because he had a “history of non-compliance.”

“We met with hospital officials about 30 minutes ago. After reviewing the situation, they said Anthony would be placed on the list for a heart transplant and that he would be first in line, due to his weakened heart condition, said family spokesman Mark Bell.

Change of heart: Hospital agrees to give 15-year-old a heart | www.ajc.com

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I get that the kid should have a chance...but if my kid was third in line and was completely compliant, I would be angry just sayin' they would have a point, the people behind him waiting in line

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Did you misread this topic or did I? My read was that he was being left off the transplant list because of non-compliance, not low grades.

Both were mentioned. I could understand the non compliance issue. i have no idea why anyone in his position would not comply - unless he wants to die. The grades were mentioned as well.