NY Teacher Forced to Resign After Appearing Shirtless on Reality Show

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
NY Teacher Forced to Resign After Appearing Shirtless on Reality Show

Teacher Forced to Resign w/ Attorney Joseph Kilada on News 12 LI - YouTube

A Long Island middle school teacher says he was forced to resign after he appeared on TV as a reality show extra in an episode where he peels off his shirt and frolics with women in a swimming pool.

Stefan Serie, 30, says he had to resign from Merrick Avenue Middle School last month because of the appearance on "Princesses: Long Island," a Bravo show.

Parents and students rallied before a board district meeting Wednesday, urging the school to reinstate Serie.

"He's a really good coach and teacher," said Rayven Flanks, a blind ninth-grader who says Serie urged him to stick with the school's wrestling team. "He has encouraged me over the years in wrestling and in general life to never give up on my dreams."

Serie got a letter a week after the June 2 episode aired, telling him he had to report to the school district office.

He was urged to resign, he says.

"They rescinded my tenure, took it away, and said if I do not give them a resignation letter in two days, that I would not receive unemployment benefits," said Serie, who has worked as a teacher for eight years.

His lawyer, Joseph Lipada, said his client was "never given a coherent reason as to his termination."

Serie said a producer friend approached him about the show. He did not take part in the drinking or fighting shown in the episode, and had no interest in taping another. He said he regrets going on the show and wants his job back.

The Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District said in a statement that Serie's resignation was accepted on July 9, but declined to discuss further details.

"If you can be fired for taking your shirt off in a pool, then I don't think too many people would have jobs," said Serie.

Parent Jeffrey Fein agreed.

"Whether you agree with the subject matter of the TV show, he still doesn't deserve to lose his job over it," he said at the rally. "He didn't do anything illegal."

Serie and his attorney says they are prepared to file a federal lawsuit to get his job back.

Source: NY Teacher Forced to Resign After Appearing Shirtless on Reality Show | NBC New York

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Someone should check the so called morals of the Board. I am sure there would be skeletons to flesh out.
If you are going to fight, sometimes you have to be really dirty.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That is ridiculous... as long as he performs his job well, (and from the student comment he is inspiring and supportive) it should not matter what he does in his spare time as long as it does not break any laws. I hope they get burned to a crisp on this one.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
OK, and the kids would know this how?

Sarcasm alert- Why can people not see that from TC on a number of occasions makes posts that are pure sarcasm. It is more than apparent, and as clear as day. But some carry their issues /disagreements from 1 thread to another.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
That makes absolutely no sense. What is wrong with a topless guy at a pool having a good time? Are they also going to fire every teacher who goes to the beach too? Idiocy.

He appeared on a reality show.

Which should be punishment enough. :p

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
It's not the guy's nipples they were upset about; it's the frolicking with - gasp! - women. Opening the door to the possibility that the people to whom we entrust our precious kiddies might engage sometime in sex.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
just a guess but, i'm thinking none of us have access to his contract

It was more of a rhetorical question. I doubt it though. Or if it was somehwat open to interpretation, then a warning should have sufficed.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It was more of a rhetorical question. I doubt it though. Or if it was somehwat open to interpretation, then a warning should have sufficed.
yeah I know :p but no one would know what was in his contract...there could be something in there about public presentation...when I worked for a not for profit it was considered that we represented the company at all times...ridiculous and hard to push but it was there

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's not the guy's nipples they were upset about; it's the frolicking with - gasp! - women. Opening the door to the possibility that the people to whom we entrust our precious kiddies might engage sometime in sex.

Heterosexual sex at that!

just a guess but, i'm thinking none of us have access to his contract

They are planning a lawsuit so I imagine the contract will become public at some point.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Heterosexual sex at that!

They are planning a lawsuit so I imagine the contract will become public at some point.
they are going to regret this, it was a fire from the hip response by some fool who wanted to set an example..now they are the example

doesn't make it any easier on the teacher though...really messes up his world, but he has to do the right thing here and fight