Acid thrown on two British women in Zanzibar

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Two British 18-year-old women were the targets of an acid attack by men riding a motorcycle on the Indian Ocean island of Zanzibar late on Wednesday night, police said.

Kirstie Trup, from Hampstead, north London, and Katie Gee both suffered injuries to their faces, chests and hands, and were transferred to a hospital on the Tanzanian mainland where their injuries were said not to be life-threatening.

They were working as volunteers at a charity art programme on the island, a popular tourist destination famous for its white-sand beaches and spice plantations.

They were attacked as they walked in Stone Town, the island's capital, late on Wednesday evening and are currently at the Aga Khan Hospital in Dar es Salaam.

Two men on a moped drove past the pair and the pillion passenger threw the acid at the British women before speeding off.

"Police in Zanzibar have launched a manhunt, and we ask for public assistance in identifying the attackers," said Mkadam Khamis, the island's deputy police commissioner.

more

Acid thrown on two British women in Zanzibar - Telegraph

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain and the tiny island of Zanzibar (which is now a part of Tanzania) fought a war against each other in 1896.

The war has gone down in history as the shorest war ever fought - it lasted just 38 minutes, 09:02–09:40 East Africa Time, on 27th August 1896.

The immediate cause of the war was the death of the pro-British Sultan Hamad bin Thuwaini on 25 August 1896 and the subsequent succession of Sultan Khalid bin Barghash. The British authorities preferred Hamud bin Muhammed, who was more favourable to British interests, as sultan. In accordance with a treaty signed in 1886, a condition for accession to the sultanate was that the candidate obtain the permission of the British consul, and Khalid had not fulfilled this requirement. The British considered this a casus belli and sent an ultimatum to Khalid demanding that he order his forces to stand down and leave the palace. In response, Khalid called up his palace guard and barricaded himself inside the palace.

The ultimatum expired at 09:00 East Africa Time (EAT) on 27 August, by which time the British had gathered three cruisers, two gunboats, 150 marines and sailors, and 900 Zanzibaris in the harbour area. The Royal Navy contingent were under the command of Rear-Admiral Harry Rawson whilst their Zanzibaris were commanded by Brigadier-General Lloyd Mathews of the Zanzibar army (who was also the First Minister of Zanzibar). Around 2,800 Zanzibaris defended the palace; most were recruited from the civilian population, but they also included the sultan's palace guard and several hundred of his servants and slaves. The defenders had several artillery pieces and machine guns which were set in front of the palace sighted at the British ships. A British bombardment which was opened at 09:02 set the palace on fire and disabled the defending artillery. A small naval action took place with the British sinking a Zanzibari royal yacht and two smaller vessels, and some shots were fired ineffectually at the pro-British Zanzibari troops as they approached the palace. The flag at the palace was shot down and fire ceased at 09:40.

The sultan's forces sustained roughly 500 casualties, while only one British sailor was injured. It was a decisive British victory. The victory effectively marked the end of the Zanzibar Sultanate as a sovereign state and saw it established as part of the British Empire.

The Sultan's harem after the British bombardment

Anglo-Zanzibar War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
both girls are beautiful looking, hopefully they will heal mentally, emotionally and physically without leaving scars

there are crazy, malicious people everywhere, I hope they find them

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, it started out as a story about two Brit women getting what was coming, but then Blackleaf decided to derail it into yet another "Glories of the Empire" deal. I went along because he so obviously needs the affirmation.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm just a bit shocked he never considered the multiverse.

Because in year XXXX, the British empire claims it...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Two British 18-year-old women were the targets of an acid attack by men riding a motorcycle on the Indian Ocean island of Zanzibar late on Wednesday night, police said.

Kirstie Trup, from Hampstead, north London, and Katie Gee both suffered injuries to their faces, chests and hands, and were transferred to a hospital on the Tanzanian mainland where their injuries were said not to be life-threatening.

They were working as volunteers at a charity art programme on the island, a popular tourist destination famous for its white-sand beaches and spice plantations.

They were attacked as they walked in Stone Town, the island's capital, late on Wednesday evening and are currently at the Aga Khan Hospital in Dar es Salaam.

Two men on a moped drove past the pair and the pillion passenger threw the acid at the British women before speeding off.

"Police in Zanzibar have launched a manhunt, and we ask for public assistance in identifying the attackers," said Mkadam Khamis, the island's deputy police commissioner.

more

Acid thrown on two British women in Zanzibar - Telegraph
Jeeezez. About all I can think of saying is that I hope those two brave souls are caught and their willies are subjected to the same treatment that those brave souls gave the women.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Jeeezez. About all I can think of saying is that I hope those two brave souls are caught and their willies are subjected to the same treatment that those brave souls gave the women.
bathe their willies in acid...hm, that's an interesting suggestion... a great one even

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Two monkeys got loose from the zoo and invaded the thread.

Wifey the anthropologist taught me how to be nasty the old Apache way. They had some humdingers for ways of torture, kinda like the Chinese did.
I kinda like the "bury them up to the head in sand and cover the face with honey"...

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Two monkeys got loose from the zoo and invaded the thread.

Wifey the anthropologist taught me how to be nasty the old Apache way. They had some humdingers for ways of torture, kinda like the Chinese did.
Nah, the South Africans were the champs. They liked to run a tube up a black man's back passage, and tape the other end to the tailpipe of a jeep. Then they'd gun the engine.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I kinda like the "bury them up to the head in sand and cover the face with honey"...
hehe, That one's not bad. Sometimes, they'd just strap a dude down to four pegs spreadeagled and then pour honey on the dude's 3rd leg.

Nah, the South Africans were the champs. They liked to run a tube up a black man's back passage, and tape the other end to the tailpipe of a jeep. Then they'd gun the engine.
Can't fart, belch. But we were speaking in terms of those days when jeeps weren't around. Nice try, though, kid. :D

Another cool one is taking dude to cactus before sunlight and strapping him to the cactus with wet rawhide.