"Where's Mummy?" Grandma?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As a history fan, I love a good mummy.

The mummy I'm most familiar with is the one in Bolton Museum just a mile or two from where I live, in the town centre. It's been in the Egyptology section of the museum for about 80 years. I've sort of grown up with this mummy having seen it everytime I've been in the museum since I was a toddler (I'm 32 now).

Bolton Museum's mummy

In 2008 the mummy was identified as a son of the powerful pharaoh Ramesses II, who reigned from 1279BC - 1213BC. It's hard to believe that Ramesses II's son is now in my hometown of Bolton!

Ramesses II's statue in Egypt

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Wasted in the attic, think about it if it were placed in the living room there would
be no need for coffee table books

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Think I'd bury it. These folks likely didnt want to be put on display when they died.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Think I'd bury it. These folks likely didnt want to be put on display when they died.

Yes, it's weird isn't it how human remains are considered and treated as sacred by society yet ancient human remains are an attraction we sell tickets for.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yes, it's weird isn't it how human remains are considered and treated as sacred by society yet ancient human remains are an attraction we sell tickets for.
pfffffffffffffffffffffffft, good point, really good point (not a part of the current tribe) up for grabs and barter

no kidding. :faroah::notworthy:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Good point. Putting any mummy on display is an insult. What if we dug up our former dead leaders and put the rotted remains on display? No doubt there would be complaints....and rightly so.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
pfffffffffffffffffffffffft, good point, really good point (not a part of the current tribe) up for grabs and barter

no kidding. :faroah::notworthy:

Not of our tribe sums it well. They believed the pharaoh was a religious and political figure who would dwell until the end of time in an afterlife created by the divine. So obviously preposterous. We would never think that of our monarchs, would we?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

In some societies it was a traditional method of honoring their dead.

January 26, 2009--She's one of the world's best-preserved bodies: Rosalia Lombardo, a two-year-old Sicilian girl who died of pneumonia in 1920. "Sleeping Beauty," as she's known, appears to be merely dozing beneath the glass front of her coffin in the Capuchin Catacombs of Palermo, Italy.

Lost "Sleeping Beauty" Mummy Formula Found