Caught on camera: The moment a thug shot out a cat's eye with a catapult

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I suppose I'd better say that the following contains images which some people may find upsetting.

A man has been jailed for eight weeks after taking out a cat's eye by firing a marble at it from a catapult.

CCTV cameras caught Craig Nunn, 28, cycling up to the cat named Misty and firing the glass marble at it from close range.

When arrested by police he even boasted to officers during the interview that he is "a very good shot" and his lawyer described him in court as "a dog person".

Kidderminster Magistrates' Court heard that he had been shooting rabbits with the catapult when he passed the home of Misty’s owner Terry Ruff in Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire.

He was caught on camera firing the marble at the cat as it sat on a wall from less than four feet away before casually cycling away.

Misty, an 11-year-old tortoiseshell, had her left eye removed by a vet after the attack which happened at 4.50am on July 13. She has also been left with a partially paralysed face.

Pc Marc Ginder, of West Mercia Police, said Nunn was unable to offer any excuse as to why he had carried out the 'wanton act of cruelty'.

'I haven’t seen anything as mindless as this,' he said. 'When we spoke to him he agreed his actions were stupid but he didn’t really have an excuse for it.'

Charles Hobbs, defending Nunn, said: 'The defendant does not like cats, he is a dog person and has two dogs at home.'

Jailing the father-of-three magistrate Trevor Burgess said Misty would suffer from her injuries for the rest of her life.

He told Nunn: 'The animal has suffered the loss of an eye, the loss of an eye will affect a cat for the rest of its life.

'The offence is so severe that only a custodial sentence can be justified.

'We also disqualify you from owning, keeping, partaking in the keeping or having any part in the keeping of a cat for the period of ten years.

'Because of the custodial sentence we can make no order for compensation, however this does not restrict the owners right to pursue compensation through the civil courts.'

Mindless attack: This is the moment Craig Nunn fired a glass marble into the face of Misty the cat, leaving the 11-year-old needing surgery to remove an eye

The gruesome injuries Misty incurred forced it to have surgery to remove its eye

Thug: Craig Nunn outside Kidderminster Magistrates' Court

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think not only should he not be allowed to own a cat, the animals in his care should be removed.

I like this part too:

Because of the custodial sentence we can make no order for compensation, however this does not restrict the owners right to pursue compensation through the civil courts.'
That means the owner will sue for the damage done and the cost of rehabilitation because of the way it is viewed here, I think they will likely be successful..
I hate people like this. And hate is not too extreme of a term.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Let me see; a little math here ...
average housecat weighs around 4.5 kg and marble weighs about 3.5 grams
Dopey troglodyte looks to be about 100 or 110 kg so the projectile that should be launched at his face should be about 90 grams and of a proportional size to the glass marble .... I'd suggest a ball of glass slightly smaller than a baseball.