Deadly tick-borne Powassan virus surfaces in New York state

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A Saratoga County resident is recovering from a rare but emerging illness carried by deer ticks that transmit Lyme disease, according to a county health official.

While extremely rare, Powassan virus is deadlier than other tick-borne illnesses — killing 30% of those infected statewide since 2004 — and its victims are infected much more quickly.

“With Lyme disease, once you find the tick on you, you’ve got a day or so to remove it, before it can transmit the pathogen to you,” said Richard Ostfeld, disease ecologist at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook. “But with Powassan virus, a tick can start transmitting the virus within 15 minutes.”

more

Deadly tick-borne Powassan virus surfaces in New York State, kills 30% of those infected | National Post

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Just came in from chain sawing in the wood lot and found two of the buggers (ticks) on my clothes. Squished them. Can’t be too careful. Checked the dog, too, he was clean.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Just came in from chain sawing in the wood lot and found two of the buggers (ticks) on my clothes. Squished them. Can’t be too careful. Checked the dog, too, he was clean.
Maybe you should be using what I use on my dog every month during during the summer
It's called "revolution".....:wink::wink:
Dunno if it works on humans :lol: