The Wandering Dago

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Schenectady-based Wandering Dago food truck, which had a contract to operate at Saratoga Race Course this season, was told to leave the track after opening day on Friday because an unnamed state official found the name offensive, according to the truck's co-owner Brandon Snooks.

"We got the boot," Snooks said Saturday.

He and co-owner Andrea Loguidice were told Saturday to remove the truck from the property or it would be towed, Loguidice said. Wandering Dago's contract requires a 30-day written notice of cancellation, Snooks said. No concerns over the name were raised during six months of negotiations with the New York Racing Association, which manages the track, and Centerplate, which supervises food service there, Loguidice said.

A Centerplate new release distributed on Thursday mentioned Wandering Dago at the top of a list of nine food options at the track, calling it "one of the country's top barbecue fusion trucks."

"We received several complaints" on Friday, said NYRA spokesman Eric Wing. "Once we received complaints, we took immediate action on behalf of our customers," Wing said.

"We had to turn down several weddings and a few festivals to make this commitment to the racetrack," Snooks said.
Wing said Centerplate will not charge Wandering Dago for the cost of products it ordered for the track.

But Loguidice said that ''doesn't begin to cover all of the costs we've incurred," including new equipment purchases and lost revenue.

Wandering Dago is also banned from selling at Empire State Plaza in Albany because of its name, Loguidice said. The truck's name was accepted on state incorporation papers, she said, but an official of the Office of General Services, which oversees the plaza, said the name was unacceptable for a vendor.

"It is ridiculous that we are a licensed New York state corporation, yet we are being blocked from doing business by state officials," Snooks said.

Snooks and Loguidice are Italian and chose the name to honor their heritage, she said. "We don't think it's offensive in any way." The term originated from Italian immigrants who worked as laborers and asked to be paid "as the day goes," which became "dago," Loguidice said. "That's how we make our money, as they day goes. ... And since we wander to different cities during the day, we thought the name was perfect."

Truck's name leaves bad taste - Times Union

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
some do gooder with no knowledge of the term no doubt

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
A cheese & spaghetti sauce sandwich is called a "dago" here in the Twin Cities. I told that to some of my old Italian pals from Brooklyn and it got quite a laugh from them.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pastafarians got upset.

And The Flying Spaghetti Monster did come unto Dee Dee waiting at the front of Fred’s Italian Corner, for she was hungry and her wait did seem to be unending, and he filled her with His Heavenly Smells, and unto her He did speak:

“My True Believer and most excellent Administrator, My keeper of the knowledge that All is My Creation, and as much as any creationism is to be taught as science, My Creation is to be taught as science, I ask of you this: Carry to My True Believers these instructions, that when they give thanks for the Holy Feast, they shall remember and pray these words”:

Our One Creator Which Flies and is Spaghetti and a Monster,

I believe Thou art the Creator of Goodness and Nourishment, and of Sustenance. I thank the Pasta, and the Sauce, and the Meatballs, for they provide me all my needs.

I thank Thee for the Many Beverages that Thou provides, for they engender true fellowship, and I will quaff them heartily, be they Beer, or Wine, or Sweet Iced Tea (in the South), or even Milk or Kool-Aid, for it is not good to withhold fluids, and I need to take care of my Body, as Beneficiary of Thine Holy Goodness.

I thank Thee for the giving of healthful Green Salad, the Yummy Garlic Bread, and the Blessed Cheese for the top of my Spaghetti, and also I am most thankful that If I eat All my Dinner, a Dessert of Extreme Chocolateness will surely follow, preferably Dark Chocolate, for it is Good.

I believe that Thou are neither Male, nor Female, but are instead beyond the reaches of the gender confusion of Man and Woman Kind, yea, thou are ageless, timeless and all-encompassing.

I most humbly thank Thee, oh Noodly Appendaged One, for Touching me with the mental capacity to adapt the mythologies of This Universe to aid and comfort me here, until that day I am able to join together with my Pastafarian Brothers and Sisters at the foot of the Beer Volcano, and enumerate my specifications at the Stripper Factory, so that happiness and contentedness and good cheer be present for all, forever and forever,

RAmen.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Noodle Monster: