Pregnant cat survives but kittens die in crossbow shooting

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Shot by crossbow
Lincoln County Humane Society
A cat — nicknamed Cinnamon by staff at the Lincoln County Humane Society — recovers from surgery. The southern Ontario animal shelter says she was shot multiple times by a crossbow, but the kittens she was carrying did not survive.
Mississauga News
ByThe Canadian Press
THOROLD, ONT.—A cat in southern Ontario is recovering from surgery after being shot multiple times by a crossbow — the kittens she was carrying, however, did not survive, an animal shelter said Friday.
Officials at the Lincoln County Humane Society in St. Catharines said the pregnant cat was shot at least four times in the abdomen with 16-centimetre darts from a crossbow earlier this week in nearby Thorold.
“We do not see cases like this often all,” said executive director Kevin Strooband. “I would say it is pretty heinous. It’s calculated.”
Photos View gallery
zoom
The cat — named Cinnamon by humane society staff — was on an IV line Friday and being monitored for infection after surviving surgery, but none of her six unborn kittens survived.
The shelter got a call Tuesday afternoon from a concerned resident who saw the injured cat.
“When the animal control officer arrived he discovered it had been shot by some sort of arrow,” Strooband said. “He immediately took it to a vet in St. Catharines, where they took an X-ray to determine that the cat was pregnant with six kittens.”
Video
Glen Murray on Scarborough subway decision
Hume: parking in public
The cat was then sent for a pregnant spay surgery.
“It’s a pretty basic surgery for a cat but there were four puncture marks that had to be repaired,” said Strooband.
After a checkup from the vet, Cinnamon was taken back to the shelter and is recovering there.
“Antibiotics had to be given because there was rust and other contaminants on the tip of the arrow that has made infection a second concern,” Strooband said.
Investigators are urging anyone who knows anything about the case to contact the humane society and they are following up on leads already.
Animal cruelty convictions under the Criminal Code carry either a maximum prison term of five years or a maximum fine of $10,000.
Animal cruelty charges laid under the Ontario SPCA Act can lead to a fine of up to $60,000 and up to two years in jail as well as lifetime ban from owning animals.
Police are not yet involved in the case.

CityNews Top Stories: 5 p.m. | CityNews

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Don't compliment them. Bastards are human.

"Crotch-rot" sounds about right to me.
if caught those crotch-rotters should pay for the surgery and be forced to do a 1000 community hours at the Humane Society

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I will never understand why some people behave that way. Poor cat I am glad she survives but I do hope the low life who shot her is found and punished severely.

I also hope Cinnamon finds a wonderful loving forever home soon.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Unfortunately, this seems to be happening more and more (at least, it is in the news more often). I don't know how anyone can justify this to themselves. "The cat is pregnant. Oh no, what am I going to do?" Instead of giving away the kittens you shoot the cat with a crossbow...mutiple times?!?

Too bad they couldn't shoot the perpetrator in the *** with a crossbow bolt just to give a taste of the pain the cat surely went through.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Unfortunately, this seems to be happening more and more (at least, it is in the news more often). I don't know how anyone can justify this to themselves. "The cat is pregnant. Oh no, what am I going to do?" Instead of giving away the kittens you shoot the cat with a crossbow...mutiple times?!?

Too bad they couldn't shoot the perpetrator in the *** with a crossbow bolt just to give a taste of the pain the cat surely went through.

shadow, people who do not want kittens simply drown them. They don't torture an animal to death. This isn't about the kittens

But, the next time you hear anyone arguing against cat by-laws in your city or town, please, remember this article. Pull it up for them. Show them why cat's should not be roaming loose in cities.