Surrey woman missing for 50 years found alive in Yukon

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Surrey woman missing for 50 years found alive in Yukon

A woman who went missing from her Surrey, B.C. home more than 50 years ago has been found alive in the Yukon.

Police say Lucy Johnson was last seen by a neighbour in September 1961 in the 10300 block of 145A Street.

During the initial police investigation, her husband at the time, Marvin Johnson, was considered a suspect. Police excavated his yard looking for clues into her disappearance.

Marvin Johnson died in the late 1990s.

In June, Johnson's disappearance was highlighted by Surrey RCMP as a cold case as a part of their 'Missing of the month series'.

Her daughter, Linda, also put out ads in a newspaper in northern B.C., because her mother was originally from Alaska.

Shortly afterward, she discovered her mother, now 77 years old, has been living in the Yukon and has another family.

"The original daughter of Lucy Johnson who went above and beyond to promote and try to generate tips all over B.C., actually somehow connected with a stepsister who she did not know she had at the time," said Cpl. Bert Paquet, spokesman for Surrey RCMP.

"The stars aligned, the timing was perfect."

Paquet says the experience has been emotional for both families, who have asked for privacy during this time.

source: Surrey woman missing for 50 years found alive in Yukon - British Columbia - CBC News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So, anyone want to speculate upon what happened here?

She left at least one child and a husband behind, started and brand new life and never went back. 8O

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
what an awful thing to do to the people who know you (or not know you as the case may be)

It is but who knows why. Maybe her husband was abusive, although that hardly excuses leaving a child behind. Maybe she just had wanderlust and once she was gone couldn't bring herself to face people by going back.

I can't conceive of doing that. I mean, I daydream sometimes about just running away and living on tropical beach somewhere, lol, but I'd never actually do it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It is but who knows why. Maybe her husband was abusive, although that hardly excuses leaving a child behind. Maybe she just had wanderlust and once she was gone couldn't bring herself to face people by going back.

I can't conceive of doing that. I mean, I daydream sometimes about just running away and living on tropical beach somewhere, lol, but I'd never actually do it.
yeah me too but my idea of running away means selling my place and relocating, until I realize how much work and expense that would entail, that settles me down quickly

I note that she had zero comment to make and I am speculating that she did not want to be found as it was the girls who connected

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yeah me too but my idea of running away means selling my place and relocating, until I realize how much work and expense that would entail, that settles me down quickly

Ah, no. That's too much reality for my daydreams. My running away from it all daydreams are all about feeling the weight of my responsibilities and craving an "out". Which I figure is a healthy way to 'get away from it all'.

I note that she had zero comment to make and I am speculating that she did not want to be found as it was the girls who connected
That reunion is going to be awkward.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Ah, no. That's too much reality for my daydreams. My running away from it all daydreams are all about feeling the weight of my responsibilities and craving an "out". Which I figure is a healthy way to 'get away from it all'.

That reunion is going to be awkward.
yeah if she even agrees to it... she obviously knew where they were and chose not to reveal her where abouts

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So, anyone want to speculate upon what happened here?

Considering the cops dug up the yard looking for her, I'd guess that she was fleeing hubby.

It is but who knows why. Maybe her husband was abusive, although that hardly excuses leaving a child behind..

My grandpa never beat his kids the way he beat my grandma. And running with a kid would have guaranteed the missing person search never ended. Running on her own isn't a crime.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
She was probably a drunk who found some guy who drank more than her.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I always said I couldn't leave my husband because I liked him too much to stick him with the kids.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
My wife would never leave me because she hates me too much to ever do something nice for me.

I'm here all week. Be sure to tip your waiters generously.