Canadian-born man facing deportation; Immigration Canada says he’s not a citizen

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A Canadian-born man is fighting to stay in the country as he faces the prospect of deportation to India by the Canadian government after serving time for weapons and drug trafficking.

Deepan Budlakoti, 23, has lived his entire life in Canada, but for months he has been caught in what he calls a bureaucratic nightmare after the Canadian government revoked his passport and issued a deportation order.

Budlakoti could be sent to India – a country he’s never set foot in.

“I don’t know no one there, I have no family there. I have no nothing there,” he told CTV News.

Budlakoti has an Ontario birth certificate and his passport indicated Ottawa as his birthplace – proof he said, that he is Canadian.

Budlakoti’s parents are from India and came to Canada to work as support staff at the Indian High Commission in Ottawa. According to the Immigration and Refugee Board, Budlakoti’s father was a foreign diplomat when his son was born.

By law, the children of foreign diplomats, even if born in Canada, do not automatically become Canadian citizens.

more

Canadian-born man facing deportation; Immigration Canada says he’s not a citizen | CTV News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Important safety tip! Always check your citizenship status before you begin weapons and drug trafficking. Forewarned is forearmed. :)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O"A Canadian-born man is fighting to stay in the country as he faces the prospect of deportation to India by the Canadian government after serving time for weapons and drug trafficking."

AWWWWWWWWWWWW:-(

My heart bleeds purple cow shyte for weapon and drug traffickers.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Am I hearing the argument correctly? If a man called Smith, born and raised in Canada, committed similar crimes he should be deported to England? Preposterous at best.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Am I hearing the argument correctly? If a man called Smith, born and raised in Canada, committed similar crimes he should be deported to England? Preposterous at best.

As I understand it's more of a technicality, if his parents were diplomats they would have had to apply for citizenship for him as it is not automatically conveyed to children born of diplomats. So it's like a loophole, in a sense, they are using to boot out a convicted weapons and drug smuggler.

Honestly I can't say I'll be weeping over it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Why send England our problems. Ship him to Iran or North Korea.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

You are ignoring the law.
Immigrants who attain Citizenship and then go on to commit an atrocious crime, such as murder cannot be deported.
The only way they can be deported after attaining Citizenship is if they lied on their initial documents.
Then we have the birth of convenience.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
While he may not be someone I want to be friends with if he is a citizen (technical or otherwise) I don't think we should be deporting him. It is the beginning of a slippery slope I don't want to start down. Next comes deporting rapists and murderers whose families have been here for generations or who are natives just because the govt can technically revoke their citizenship.

We may not like the man or what he did but circumventing the law by a technicality is not something I can support my govt doing.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
While he may not be someone I want to be friends with if he is a citizen (technical or otherwise) I don't think we should be deporting him. It is the beginning of a slippery slope I don't want to start down. Next comes deporting rapists and murderers whose families have been here for generations or who are natives just because the govt can technically revoke their citizenship.

We may not like the man or what he did but circumventing the law by a technicality is not something I can support my govt doing.

No technicality- the law is clear- he is not a citizen of Canada.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
As I understand it's more of a technicality, if his parents were diplomats they would have had to apply for citizenship for him as it is not automatically conveyed to children born of diplomats. So it's like a loophole, in a sense, they are using to boot out a convicted weapons and drug smuggler.

Honestly I can't say I'll be weeping over it.

I understand that they are acting on a "loophole.". Would the same loophole be applied to our Mr. Smith? I sincerely doubt it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Really? That's who needs defending from this slippery slope? Rapists and Murderers? LOL

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Really? That's who needs defending from this slippery slope? Rapists and Murderers? LOL

That is just the start, because many are okay with deporting a rapist even if it violates their rights as a citizen the govt could get away with it but then what. They move on to fraudsters and thieves. Maybe after a while they can convince you that shoplifters should be deported too, then maybe speeders. Letting the govt circumvent laws surrounding citizenship to deport a criminal is NOT where I want to let them go. What other laws will they then choose to ignore or circumvent for technicalities if we let them do it here?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
That is just the start, because many are okay with deporting a rapist even if it violates their rights as a citizen the govt could get away with it but then what. They move on to fraudsters and thieves. Maybe after a while they can convince you that shoplifters should be deported too, then maybe speeders. Letting the govt circumvent laws surrounding citizenship to deport a criminal is NOT where I want to let them go. What other laws will they then choose to ignore or circumvent for technicalities if we let them do it here?

Yeah okay. What a load of hooey.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I understand that they are acting on a "loophole.". Would the same loophole be applied to our Mr. Smith? I sincerely doubt it.

Are you suggesting it's racially based then? Because I think it because he's been convicted of a crime and his particular, and rare, situation presents the opportunity for deportation. I don't think it matters what his cultural background is.

It's not as if they are going to start deporting Indians by the thousands just for the hell of it.

I'm actually trying to imagine the odds of a child born on Canadian soil to diplomatic parents who then grows up to be convicted of a major crime...probably doesn't happen all that often to be any real concern.