Guantánamo reports 106 captives still on hunger strike

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The U.S. military on Saturday said no Guantánamo captives had quit their months-old hunger strike, reporting that 106 prisoners were refusing meals -- and Navy medical forces put 45 of them on a list for forced-feedings.

Army Maj. Gordon Campbell, a deputy prison spokesman, said an earlier report that two captives had voluntarily resumed eating was in error.

The figure of hunger strikers has only risen since the military acknowledged the protest in March.

Commanders say Navy medical staff use a calculus of missed meals and weight loss to decide when to count a captive as a hunger striker. On the flipside, a hunger striker has to voluntarily eat a number of meals in a row to get off the list.

Lawyers for the detainees say the protest erupted after a Feb. 6-7 search of their cells; the prisoners perceived that the guards had disrespected their Qurans.

The chief prison camp spokesman, Navy Capt. Robert Durand, said the protest began a month later after a false report by the Taliban and that Guantánamo’s guards treat Islam’s holy book respectfully. Marine Gen. John F. Kelly, who has oversight of the prison, said the captives were “devastated” that, after pledging to close the prison in Cuba, President Barack Obama appeared to retreat from that vow.

No prisoners have abandoned their fasts, Campbell said. He attributed earlier reports of a reduction to a numerical “mix up.”

The figures remained steady days before Monday evening’s start of Ramadan when Muslims traditionally fast by day and have festive meals at night. The Pentagon said in a court filing this week it will continue to force-feed hunger strikers to prevent any from dying of starvation, but planned to do it after sunset and before dawn barring “any unforeseen emergency or operational issues” in consideration of the day-time fasting holy month.

Read more here: Guantánamo reports 106 captives still on hunger strike - Guantánamo - MiamiHerald.com

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I never understood why they force feed people on hunger strikes. If they want to kill themselves let them. They would no longer have to pay for the food, shelter and healthcare for the prisoners or put any money into trying them (assuming they plan on ever doing that).

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I never understood why they force feed people on hunger strikes. If they want to kill themselves let them. They would no longer have to pay for the food, shelter and healthcare for the prisoners or put any money into trying them (assuming they plan on ever doing that).
that's what I was thinking too, but with government and army it's all about how things appear..."they let prisoners "in their care" die"

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

For the same reason I suppose that they seek medical attention for those on death row. There are procedures and they must be followed I guess.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
For the same reason I suppose that they seek medical attention for those on death row. There are procedures and they must be followed I guess.

Yeah thats another odd one. "No, dont kill yourself! Then we wont be able to kill you. :(" Probably a control issue. They dont want the prisoner to have any control over anything - including their health and a potentially early death.

that's what I was thinking too, but with government and army it's all about how things appear..."they let prisoners "in their care" die"

Force feeding them and keeping them in prison indefinitely without trial doesnt look too good either. They're really dragging their feet on that one. They all know Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is guilty and he himself admits it yet they havent tried or convicted him yet. They certainly have enough to put him away for life or execute him and some of the others.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

The U.S. military on Saturday said no Guantánamo captives had quit their months-old hunger strike, reporting that 106 prisoners were refusing meals -- and Navy medical forces put 45 of them on a list for forced-feedings.

Army Maj. Gordon Campbell, a deputy prison spokesman, said an earlier report that two captives had voluntarily resumed eating was in error.

The figure of hunger strikers has only risen since the military acknowledged the protest in March.

Commanders say Navy medical staff use a calculus of missed meals and weight loss to decide when to count a captive as a hunger striker. On the flipside, a hunger striker has to voluntarily eat a number of meals in a row to get off the list.

Lawyers for the detainees say the protest erupted after a Feb. 6-7 search of their cells; the prisoners perceived that the guards had disrespected their Qurans.

The chief prison camp spokesman, Navy Capt. Robert Durand, said the protest began a month later after a false report by the Taliban and that Guantánamo’s guards treat Islam’s holy book respectfully. Marine Gen. John F. Kelly, who has oversight of the prison, said the captives were “devastated” that, after pledging to close the prison in Cuba, President Barack Obama appeared to retreat from that vow.

No prisoners have abandoned their fasts, Campbell said. He attributed earlier reports of a reduction to a numerical “mix up.”

The figures remained steady days before Monday evening’s start of Ramadan when Muslims traditionally fast by day and have festive meals at night. The Pentagon said in a court filing this week it will continue to force-feed hunger strikers to prevent any from dying of starvation, but planned to do it after sunset and before dawn barring “any unforeseen emergency or operational issues” in consideration of the day-time fasting holy month.

Read more here: Guantánamo reports 106 captives still on hunger strike - Guantánamo - MiamiHerald.com

Just make sure you don't send them to the US. Then they'd have a right to a fair trial.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah thats another odd one. "No, dont kill yourself! Then we wont be able to kill you. :(" Probably a control issue. They dont want the prisoner to have any control over anything - including their health and a potentially early death.

Probably because denying them medical treatment would be considered cruel and unusual punishment. Killing them is okay, but having them get sick and letting them die would be cruel.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
The folks incarcerated at Gitmo are likely to spend most of the rest of their lives in prison at that location.

Obama should just pardon those folks and close the prison camp at Gitmo. He should do the right thing instead of the politically expedient thing.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
These people shouldn't even be there in the first place. Under international law the US is guilty of illegal imprisonment and Bush, Cheney and all the subsequent officials should be charged and brought to the Hague for trial for all their war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Tell them to eat or their next Insure will be full of pork fat.

Not as funny as I'm sure you intended it to be. :-(

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
It wasn't meant to be funny. It was a serious suggestion. Threaten them with forced feeding of pork and they will decided to eat. The same as if I were in charge I would tell the Islamic world that one more terrorist act would see Mecca bombed off the map! There aren't many nice ways to deal with fanatics.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It wasn't meant to be funny. It was a serious suggestion. Threaten them with forced feeding of pork and they will decided to eat. The same as if I were in charge I would tell the Islamic world that one more terrorist act would see Mecca bombed off the map! There aren't many nice ways to deal with fanatics.

Well if you were serious then you are over the top. If you think disrespecting a person's religious beliefs in such a way is a good thing you might want to spend some time in quiet reflection of how you would feel with someone doing similar things to you.

Now how about the fanatics in the west? Those that propose things like bombing Mecca off the map because of a few crazies. Personally I would rather see DC and Ottawa bombed to oblivion because it would have a more positive impact on my life than enraging a billion Muslims and creating a few million more terrorists.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
These people shouldn't even be there in the first place. Under international law the US is guilty of illegal imprisonment and Bush, Cheney and all the subsequent officials should be charged and brought to the Hague for trial for all their war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Not as funny as I'm sure you intended it to be. :-(

I agree.

They should have been shot in place.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not even a reasonable post. Not like you to make such a post.

Destroying a Religious symbol such as Mecca would lead to eternal war. Every Christian in many Muslim countries would be killed.
Then what would you do? There are approx 1.2 billion Muslims. Do we start executing those in Canada, US, Europe?
Purge the world of all Muslims.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Without being Right or Left here, didn't "somebody" promise to close this place 4 years ago??
Well it did boil down to right and left, you forget Obama wanted to try the prisoners in the US, if found guilty he wanted to put them in the super prisons. The republicans had fits they didn't want those terrorists on American soil! So Obama couldn't very well close Guantanamo, because that would have meant just letting the prisoners go.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Not even a reasonable post. Not like you to make such a post.

Destroying a Religious symbol such as Mecca would lead to eternal war. Every Christian in many Muslim countries would be killed.
Then what would you do? There are approx 1.2 billion Muslims. Do we start executing those in Canada, US, Europe?
Purge the world of all Muslims.
I really don't worry too much about that. I remember for instance when the Taliban wanted to destroy the Hindu statues, most of your types were aghast. I said "screw the statues what about the women?"! I knew long ago that women are treated worse than cattle in those countries. So I have no romantic ideas about so many being wonderful people, and so few being terrorists. To any woman with sense they are terrorists! Most of you are only familiar with them after 9-11.

I certainly did not advocate executing those in Canada, as I am anti genocide (something they aren't), if you read the Koran.I do believe western countries should be very careful about the immigration policies involving Muslims. In case you are unaware many Christians in those countries are being murdered already, again in accordance with the exhortations from the Koran. I'm not too worried about them either if they are dumb enough to stay in those countries they have to expect to be killed as infidels!

While I am at it I also believe we need to keep our noses out of the Middle east's civil wars. We shouldn't be arming one side against the other we need to make sure westerners stay the hell out of those countries as well. Just mind our own businesses!