Croatia, the 28th member of the European Union

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Croatia has become the 28th member of the European Union, a major milestone some 20 years after the small country won independence in a bloody civil war that shook the continent.

Croatia's formal entry Monday is the bloc's first addition since Bulgaria and Romania joined in 2007.

Though enthusiasm for the country's achievement has been dampened by the EU's financial turmoil, it is a historic turning point for the Balkan nation of 4.2 million, which endured years of carnage after declaring independence from the former Yugoslavia in 1991.

Read more: Croatia becomes 28th member of European Union | Fox News

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I guess you can look at the positive, huge market for goods and services (bigger than the USA), easy to travel and you can live and work anywhere in the EU.

Just like in the USA, you have to bail out states that are bankrupt or in need of cash, same for Canada with the transfer payments to Quebec and other regions in Canada..

The member states happen to be countries, Greece, Portugal, and so on

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is that a good thing, being a member country of the EU?

As someone that has lived in the EU all my life I can honestly say...... no.

Britain will be better off out.

I feel sorry for Croatia. Such a beautiful little country joining such a monstrous, corrupt organisation.

With Croatia having joined the EU as its 28th Member State at midnight its time (10pm British time) last night, the EU has grown by 21,859 sq miles to 1,691,658 sq mi (half the size of Canada);

Its population, the third biggest in the world, has grown by 4.3 million to 503.5 million;

And the EU's vast economy, the largest in the world, has grown by US$63.8 billion to $US17.577 trillion, representing a fifth of the entire world's GDP (the US economy is US$15.7 trillion).

A map showing Croatia within the EU

The EU's largest Member State (in terms of population) is Germany, with 82 million people. Its smallest is Malta, with just 400,000 people.

The EU has 24 official languages and its anthem is called "Ode to Joy", based on the final movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony composed in 1823. The (unelected) EU president is a creepy Belgian called Herman van Rompuy.

The capital of the EU is Brussels....

..... and the EU's largest city is London, which has a metropolitan population of 15 million and which is also home to the EU's tallest building, the Shard...

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I guess you can look at the positive, huge market for goods and services (bigger than the USA), easy to travel and you can live and work anywhere in the EU.

Just like in the USA, you have to bail out states that are bankrupt or in need of cash, same for Canada with the transfer payments to Quebec and other regions in Canada..

The member states happen to be countries, Greece, Portugal, and so on

You just miss a few of them payment and we're out of here buddy. We can sell ourselves to Maine and Smacks taxes will keep us warm and cozy. I bet he's got fine lodgings and plenty of spare rooms.