High River : a City in Agony

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You can only do what you can do. Many of the problems associated with this flood were foreseeable. Unfortunately, money to address them doesn't grow on trees.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Stay away from High River, warns mayor - Calgary - CBC News

the delays in clean up may make some homes non restorable. The failure to cut a two mile diversion channel along #562 avenue, deepen the existing Pine coulee river diversion, and to dam THE UPSTREAM Highwood river comes back to haunt us.....

So now someone should be making a decision................build dikes, dredge the river or relocate to higher ground. To continue as is is downright dangerous, and will end up costing much more in the long run. One more solution, maybe the cheapest would be to build an overflow channel.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
You can only do what you can do. Many of the problems associated with this flood were foreseeable. Unfortunately, money to address them doesn't grow on trees.

all good points. One question being asked is why Morris and eighteen other poorer communities in Manitoba could afford to put in ring dikes and SSBR gates, while rich oil Alberta didn't'....
Town of Morris EMO - Morris Emergency Management Team

Given that Morris is one ninth the size of High River....

A ring dike , gates and two miles of diversion channel would have saved the community. A dry dam at Pekisko Creek junction..
Another at Loft Creek junction...

Premier Ernest Manning, we need you back here...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Have you ever had beaver fever?

There are soil-borne pathogens that can get stirred up by flooding and kill several people long before they figure out what the hell it is.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
residents are pissed!!! It seems that daniel smith is pushing to have the downtown taken care of before the residential areas. Looks like she is more pro business than pro people.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
You have GOT to be kidding. Please tell me you're kidding.

Not at all!
During the historic times of the Bubonic plague, at least 40% of the population was strong enough to battle it off...

Same for cholera.

See, its not as black as one may fear...

Lots more grazing livestock later , best land to the survivors...

ahhhh the good ol days...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You have GOT to be kidding. Please tell me you're kidding.

Absolutely not, there is disease festering EVERYWHERE, as there are both good and bad germs everywhere, as is proven by just the number of people who leave the hospital sicker than when they went in. Restaurant sinks famous for bacteria lurking. A week ago I came down with flu like symptoms, it was about one day after my bowling league. Apart from this house it was the only place I I had been. I never gave any thought to using "house" bowling balls, but I bet that's what happened............someone coughed in their hand before throwing a ball and bingo a day later I'm sick. What saves most of us from most of the bad sh*t is strong immune system.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Counting on your immune system to prevent you from getting dysentery is a BAD idea. When you know there's a disease present that can make you **** yourself to death, seriously, scoffing at it is ridiculous.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Counting on your immune system to prevent you from getting dysentery is a BAD idea. When you know there's a disease present that can make you **** yourself to death, seriously, scoffing at it is ridiculous.

Absolutely! Would you want a fire in your house just because you have a fire extinguisher?