Teen Dies After Impaling Himself On Bull Statue

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

A 14-year-old Texas teen, Miguel Martinez, is dead after impaling himself on the horns of a bull statue on the Texas Tech University campus.

According to police, Martinez was running on the National Ranching Heritage Museum on the Texas Tech campus around 3am playing hide-and-seek when the horn pierced his chest. One of the boy’s friends, Jeremy, was beside him when it happened and remained by his side after he passed.

“I just laid there beside him. I put my jacket over him and just held him tight and told him I loved him,” Jeremy said. “He was like a big brother to me.”

There is a grief that takes hold of you, deep in your core, when an unexpected tragedy occurs — especially when it happens to someone you love.

“No mother expects this to happen to [her] child,” Martinez’s mother, Judith Leseburg, said.

Teen Dies After Impaling Himself On Bull Statue

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My 13 year old daughter nearly walked into a snapped off sign post that had been driven over, and was pointing straight at her guts. From the angle she was walking at, I kid you not, she couldn't see it. It blended in with the pavement and, from the angle, looked like a grey deck of cards lying on the walk. We put a pink bandaid on it since we couldn't move it, just to negate the 'blending in' factor. I grabbed her back just in the nick of time. I can only guess that depending on the angle one approached this statue from, you wouldn't be able to see how far out the horns stuck.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My 13 year old daughter nearly walked into a snapped off sign post that had been driven over, and was pointing straight at her guts. From the angle she was walking at, I kid you not, she couldn't see it. It blended in with the pavement and, from the angle, looked like a grey deck of cards lying on the walk. We put a pink bandaid on it since we couldn't move it, just to negate the 'blending in' factor. I grabbed her back just in the nick of time. I can only guess that depending on the angle one approached this statue from, you wouldn't be able to see how far out the horns stuck.

That and it was 3AM in the morning.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Thats what the article said, I wondered why a 14 year old was out at that hour of the night.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well, I don't belive it. A person could get a bad bruise if one ran into the horn but to be impaled he needed help. I think somebody is going to be found gulty of murder or manslaughter.