Ancient Egyptian statue moves on its own in museum

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The curse of Tutankhamen is said to have claimed more than 20 lives. By contrast, the curse of Neb-Senu amounts to little more than an occasional inconvenience for museum curators.

Over several days, the ten-inch Egyptian statuette gradually rotates to face the rear of the locked glass cabinet in which it is displayed, and has to be turned around again by hand.

Those who like tales of haunted pyramids and walking mummies may regard the mystery of the 4,000-year-old relic – an offering to Osiris, god of the dead – as the strangest thing to hit Egyptology in decades.

Egyptologist Campbell Price studies an ancient Egyptian statuette at the Manchester Museum, which appears to be moving on its own

Ancient Egyptian statue has started MOVING sparking fears it has been struck by a curse of Phar - YouTube

Others, including TV physicist Professor Brian Cox, have a more down-to-earth explanation for its movement.

Whatever the solution, the puzzle certainly won’t dent visitor numbers at its present home, Manchester Museum.

The statuette’s slow about-turn has been captured on film by a time-lapse camera, and curator Campbell Price, 29, says he believes there may be a spiritual explanation.

‘I noticed one day that it had turned around,’ he said. ‘I thought it was strange because it is in a case and I am the only one who has a key.

‘I put it back, but then the next day it had moved again.

‘In Ancient Egypt they believed that if the mummy is destroyed then the statuette can act as an alternative vessel for the spirit. Maybe that is what is causing the movement.’

The statue, made by one Neb-Senu in about 1800BC, was donated to the museum in 1933, and had been reassuringly immobile for most of that time.

However Mr Price and his colleagues are now used to finding it facing the rear of its case – perhaps significantly, displaying a prayer on the back requesting ‘bread, beer, oxen and fowl’.

Their video has recorded it rotating to its left over the course of three days until facing backwards.

Even more mysteriously, it appears to spin only during daylight hours, and does not turn beyond 180 degrees.

Some, including Professor Cox, have suggested that vibrations caused by the footsteps of passing visitors make the statuette turn on its glass shelf.

Mr Price said: ‘Brian thinks it’s “differential friction” where two surfaces, the stone of the statuette and glass shelf it is on, cause a subtle vibration which is making the statuette turn. But it has been on those surfaces since we have had it and it has never moved before.

‘And why would it go a round in a perfect circle? It would be great if someone could solve the mystery.’

The 10-inch tall relic, which dates back to 1800 BC, has been at the museum for 80 years but curators say it has recently starting rotating 180 degrees during the day

Ancient Egyptian statue has started MOVING sparking fears it has been struck by a 'curse of the Pharaohs' | Mail Online

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Neat how it doesn't move at night when no one's around to pull on the monofilament hey?

Gotta love tabloids.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Those that don't like The Mail would likely center them out but they aren't alone. It's simply a messenger rather than the message. Scores of media have reported this for days.

At any rate, Skeptoid sorts it out:

Today we take a look at a mysteriously spinning Egyptian statue of a man (Neb-Sanu) in a Manchester museum and try to decide if supernatural forces are at work. Spoilers: Nope.

I saw this article, by Roxanne Palmer, published in today’s International Business Times. The article discusses the mysterious Egyptian statue which was seen to rotate over the course of several days within a glass display case. Here is a time-lapse video of the statue rotating without any apparent cause.

The video is very interesting and it doesn’t appear to have any of the usual red flags one might expect from a hoax video. One thing is apparent in the video, which the article points out:
When you look at the rotating statue, you may notice that the statue moves only as people are walking by. Vibration, which can be caused merely by the foot traffic of passersby, is a well-known problem in museums, especially on wooden floors — the kind that are in the room that houses the Egyptian statue. Objects on glass shelves, like the Neb-Sanu statue, have been known to “walk” short distances.
Watching it through a second time, it is certainly the case that the statue rotates more quickly when there is a lot of foot traffic and rotates very little during the night. Further, and most interestingly to me, it seems to stop moving much once it has turned all the way around. This suggests that the statue is more stable in this position (the heavy part is down hill) than in the starting position.
The combination of a hard stone statue, a flexible floor, and a glass shelf add up to small motions which, when viewed over time, result in a dramatic movement. The article goes on to note that:
In the British Museum, ambient vibrations loosened tiles from Aztec artifacts and worked the tails of two African ivory leopard sculptures from the holes in a wall that kept them affixed. Thickett also found instances of object-walking on glass shelves, with vibration levels as low as .02 g-force. A 1-pound bronze statue walked along a Lucite base while a neighboring sculpture weighing .7 pounds stayed put on a glass shelf.
The article provides a video from Mick (Epoxynous) attempting to replicate the rotation effect with a glass table and a representative mass. The video is below.

Imagine the stories that might have bloomed out of this, ultimately mundane, effect (vibrations moving the statue) in a more credulous age without the benefit of time lapse videos? We might be discussing the ancient case of the cursed statue!

Be well.

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/06/25/the-case-of-the-spinning-statue/

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You cannot say definitively what's causing it until tests are carried out on the statue itself. You cannot say at the moment that because vibrations may have caused similar effects elsewhere that they are the cause in this case. Tests need to be carried out to determine what's causing it.

But I would still prefer there to be a spiritual or paranormal explanation rather than a scientific one.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I would suspect some sort of vibrations that the people don't feel is causing the statue to move.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Intentionally moving it with magnets you mean?

I wasn't thining intentional. A weak magnetic field could be present presenting a S pole which would slowly cause the statue to move such that it's N pole was towards it. Could be a electrical generator or something which could cause it. Asside from the publicity, there would be no benefit to deliberatly moving it as far as I can see.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wasn't thining intentional. A weak magnetic field could be present presenting a S pole which would slowly cause the statue to move such that it's N pole was towards it. Could be a electrical generator or something which could cause it. Asside from the publicity, there would be no benefit to deliberatly moving it as far as I can see.
Pedro said:
It only moves during the day as foot traffic creates microtremors
I figgered it out already.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

The only issue with that theory is that it stops turning at night, even before it's reached the backward facing position. Magnetic poles wouldn't disappear at night.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The only issue with that theory is that it stops turning at night, even before it's reached the backward facing position. Magnetic poles wouldn't disappear at night.

True. Unless the source of the magnatism was turned off at night. Again, thinking of more electro-magnetic.

But petros theory also sounds viable. The only thing about it is that why would it stop at 180 and not keep turning around in a full 360 plane?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
True. Unless the source of the magnatism was turned off at night. Again, thinking of more electro-magnetic.

But petros theory also sounds viable. The only thing about it is that why would it stop at 180 and not keep turning around in a full 360 plane?

I say it's because that's where the microfilament draws it.