13-year-old charged with murder after using wrestling move on 5-year-old sister

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
13-year-old charged with murder after using wrestling move on 5-year-old sister

NEW ORLEANS — A 13-year-old boy from a New Orleans suburb was charged with second-degree murder in the death of his 5-year-old half-sister after investigators said he told them he repeatedly struck her with wrestling moves imitated from TV.

"The 13-year-old reported he started to wrestle with the victim and practiced 'WWE' style wrestling moves on the 5-year-old," Col. John Fortunato of the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office said in a news release Tuesday.

Those moves allegedly included repeatedly slamming the girl on a bed, punching her in the stomach, jumping on her and striking her with his elbow. A coroner's investigation found the girl died of multiple injuries, including broken ribs, lacerations of the liver and internal bleeding.

In a statement released Tuesday, WWE offered condolences to the victim's family but cautioned against attributing the death to its industry.

"Authorities have already charged the accused with second-degree murder and determined that this was not an accidental death due to a wrestling move," the organization said.

"As in similar cases, criminal intent to harm and a lack of parental supervision have been the factors resulting in a tragic death."

The boy had been left to babysit the girl by his stepmother when the alleged beating occurred, authorities said. After the beating, the girl later complained of a stomach ache. When she stopped breathing, the boy called 911. Emergency responders could not revive her and she was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The boy was taken to a juvenile facility and booked on a second-degree murder arrest warrant after he was interviewed by homicide Detective Matt Vasquez.

Authorities released the name of the suspect but The Associated Press generally doesn't identify juveniles charged with crimes.

The detective said the boy told him that he knew the wrestling moves on TV were fake, but he was smiling and appeared to enjoy talking about them.

"The 13-year-old continued by saying the victim complained that she was hurting, but he continued to slam, punch and elbow her for an additional two or three minutes, stopping when his mother called him on the phone to check on he and the victim," sheriff's officials said in the news release.

source: 13-year-old charged with murder after using wrestling move on 5-year-old sister - U.S. News

////////////////////////////

Shaking head, what is wrong with the world...

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Poor parenting and the kid doesnt appear to have been too bright to say the least.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My first thought is that I need to qualify what I'm about to say with 'accidents happen, and are a normal part of growing up.' I know lots of people who've hurt others, and in one case even accidentally killed a friend, as kids. One misstep is all it takes.

That being said, this was not a misstep. From a 5 year old I could imagine this kind of 'I don't care that you're hurting' repeated behaviour, but for a child to hit 13 years old and not have empathy for a small child, implies that either there is something wrong developmentally, or in his upbringing (and I honestly try not to point the blame at parents often). It's tragic that this little girl had to pay such a horrid price for his indifference.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A disclaimer that TV wrestling is fake and the punches and kicks are never followed through at the beginning of the program and after every commercial break would be a good start in seeing that this doesn't happen again.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A disclaimer that TV wrestling is fake and the punches and kicks are never followed through at the beginning of the program and after every commercial break would be a good start in seeing that this doesn't happen again.

Why? The blows are real in boxing, UFC, hockey, and football. If a kid has no discretion or empathy, they're going to hurt someone no matter what.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't think the 13 year old has a clue what he did. The fact that he phoned 911 is damn near miraculous.

I wonder about the decision making "capabilities" of the step mum...