Conservatives accuse Justin Trudeau of profiting from not-for-profits

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Conservatives accuse Justin Trudeau of profiting from not-for-profits - Canada - CBC News

it would seem to me that on a technicality, Trudeau is under no obligation to pay back. A contract is a contract. That said, considering the whole point of hiring him for the fundraiser, it would have been a nice gesture for him to give some money back, but that would still be a personal matter and I don't see how this would affect his effectiveness as PM.

Besides, there is so much to criticize about him on the policy front, why delve into his private life here?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Captain Morgan had it right in the other thread, it is all about optics. It matters not whether you actually do something wrong, when you are in politics even the perception that you've done something wrong can be enough to kill your career.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Quite frankly, I am surprised that Trudeau didn't return the funds and do so in a manner that offered a PR opportunity.

Let's face it, the senior population always gets out and votes and this can either be used for his benefit or against him.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Quite frankly, I am surprised that Trudeau didn't return the funds and do so in a manner that offered a PR opportunity.

Let's face it, the senior population always gets out and votes and this can either be used for his benefit or against him.

I think, and this is just my personal observation, that many politicians now a days are falling into that partisan b.s. that a select few of the electorate get behind so fervently. They do the finger pointing at the other guy and ignore their own behaviour because they are following the trend of the blinder wearing folks. Real blind partisan supporters are loud, but I do believe their numbers are not really that great. So while it makes for great 'headlines', all it ends up really doing is pissing off the rest of us.

And each party is guilty of doing this. Seems like more and more every day.

And thus my cynicism grows. Albeit it was pretty healthy to begin with.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Conservative mud slinging by any other name. Trudeau did his part for the agreed on price and a year down the road they want their money back. Not even reasonable.....

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I think the Conservatives are scared to death of Trudeau, from the moment he became the Liberals leader they have been finding things to yell loudly about, a whole lot of nonsense. They see him as a real threat.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's weird. Lots of people profit from non-profits. They have employees. But Trudeau would have been smart to return the money. He doesn't need it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
well maybe the people running the not-for profit need a wake up call...hello, someone is at the helm, they have a CEO and a COO and a public relations department... maybe not capable of steering well but they are making a nice tidy take home salary... can you say fubar...and then to go public and ask for the fee back...who is truly accountable here? the leader or who he hired...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Conservatives accuse Justin Trudeau of profiting from not-for-profits - Canada - CBC News

it would seem to me that on a technicality, Trudeau is under no obligation to pay back. A contract is a contract. That said, considering the whole point of hiring him for the fundraiser, it would have been a nice gesture for him to give some money back, but that would still be a personal matter and I don't see how this would affect his effectiveness as PM.

Besides, there is so much to criticize about him on the policy front, why delve into his private life here?

Yes.

A ridiculous attack on the part of the Conservatives.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
What's next,are they going through his trash to make sure the right stuff is in the green bin ? Justin earned the money,whether he "needs" that money or not is nobodys fn business,at least he didn't steal it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Slow news day? Gotta double up on the trudeau bash threads?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Slow news day? Gotta double up on the trudeau bash threads?

You obviously didn't read my own notes in the OP then.

If anything this makes the Conservatives look ridiculous.

For all we know maybe Trudeaus gives a lot to charity but that particular one wasn't on his list of charities. Again, a contract is a contract.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

For all we know maybe Trudeaus gives a lot to charity but that particular one wasn't on his list of charities. Again, a contract is a contract.

Thread has already been posted.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If anything, these attacks could backfire on the Conservatives. Not necessarily that it will win trudeau any extra votes, but rather by turning votes away from the Conservaties. Then we wonder why such low turnouts and spoilt ballots.

Anyway, some independent conservative candidates might benefit come next federal election.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Makes them look ridiculous by having a Lib appointed Senator bilk the system for over $200k and be 'excused' by baby-t?

For all we know, justin smokes crack with Ford on the weekends?

lol.. 'For all we know'

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O..............A long long stretch by the Conbots.

I hope Canada falls out of love with any Dippers before 2015, or we're gonna have a split vote, and more Harpoistas in power........agin, eh.:-(

shat !