I'm sure some of you remember this guy.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Man convicted of sex assault found dead on day of sentencing

By Sam Pazzano, QMI Agency

TORONTO – A man convicted of sexually assaulting a young girl entrusted to him by the Children's Aid Society was found dead in his home Tuesday, the day he was to be sentenced for his crimes.
Mac Bool Hassan, 50, was found dead in his North York home.
Crown attorney Heather Keating told Justice Faye McWatt that Hassan took his own life and was discovered about 90 minutes before his sentencing hearing was slated to begin.
Hassan was convicted in March of sexually and physically abusing the girl for eight years -- with almost nightly sexual misconduct in the last few years -- until July 2008 when she fled as a 15-year-old. He was also found guilty of assaulting her younger half-brother.
The female victim, who'll turn 21 later this year, has said the CAS kept her and her half-brother in Hassan's care despite his drug use, criminal record and neighbours' reports of neglect and abuse.

Man convicted of sex assault found dead on day of sentencing - Crime - Canoe.ca

He should have done this 10 years sooner.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

TORONTO – A man convicted of sexually assaulting a young girl entrusted to him by the Children's Aid Society was found dead in his home Tuesday, the day he was to be sentenced for his crimes.
Crown attorney Heather Keating told Justice Faye McWatt that Hassan took his own life and was discovered about 90 minutes before his sentencing hearing was slated to begin.
Hassan was convicted in March of sexually and physically abusing the girl for eight years -- with almost nightly sexual misconduct in the last few years -- until July 2008 when she fled as a 15-year-old. He was also found guilty of assaulting her younger half-brother.
The female victim, who'll turn 21 later this year, has said the CAS kept her and her half-brother in Hassan's care despite his drug use, criminal record and neighbours' reports of neglect and abuse.

karma,; tormented himself to death over what would happen to him in prison perhaps, I hope he hasn't slept a wink for months

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
karma,; tormented himself to death over what would happen to him in prison perhaps, I hope he hasn't slept a wink for months
How come nobody in Children's Aid ever gets dinged for their negligence? Seems to me they should be nailed for being accessories to the crime.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

That it did. He knew what was coming. But the torment never equaled hers.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
How come nobody in Children's Aid ever gets dinged for their negligence? Seems to me they should be nailed for being accessories to the crime.
I think this time they might because it was sheer negligence. Not as accessories but for their inability to protect a minor under their domain. That will be a new court case though.

That it did. He knew what was coming. But the torment never equaled hers.
Yes the torment never equalled hers. And the funny thing is when one speaks to victims who have been horrendously abused they do not usually wish that same kind of torture on the perpetrator. It is usually when we see others victimized that we become vengeful. Don't even know what that is about, but it is frequently present in us.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think this time they might because it was sheer negligence. Not as accessories but for their inability to protect a minor under their domain. That will be a new court case though.

Yes the torment never equalled hers. And the funny thing is when one speaks to victims who have been horrendously abused they do not usually wish that same kind of torture on the perpetrator. It is usually when we see others victimized that we become vengeful. Don't even know what that is about, but it is frequently present in us.

Called humanity that was not killed of during their torment. Not wishing pain on others. They have endured it and know what it causes.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Called humanity that was not killed of during their torment. Not wishing pain on others. They have endured it and know what it causes.
Yes I think that may be it, because of the depth of their suffering, they do not wish to impart it on another human or animal. I think the other part of the equation that they comprehend and that most of us don't is they have come face to face with the lack of humanity (sort of the face of barbarism), and they don't want to go there themselves.

We jump right in, hang him, castrate him we want the worst possible and thereby lose our own humanity.

and it feels good and justified for a bit

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

She has taken Children's Aid to court. There's a thread on it here somewhere.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Not much of a loss.

I was thinking 30 years earlier.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
For an illuminating example of how flawed our foster/child aid systems are almost everywhere....

Here in Alberta, we had friends who had to go to court to adopt their foster son because the father had outstanding molestation accusations against him from when he worked as a group home worker. The charges had been dropped and dismissed as far as work went. BUT. The record of the accusation made my friend an unsuitable candidate for adoption. He could only foster the child. And continue working in group homes. That right there, speaks volumes about the safety of the foster care system.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
For an illuminating example of how flawed our foster/child aid systems are almost everywhere....

Here in Alberta, we had friends who had to go to court to adopt their foster son because the father had outstanding molestation accusations against him from when he worked as a group home worker. The charges had been dropped and dismissed as far as work went. BUT. The record of the accusation made my friend an unsuitable candidate for adoption. He could only foster the child. And continue working in group homes. That right there, speaks volumes about the safety of the foster care system.
I'm confused; it sounds like the biological father of the child was a group home worker but then it sounds like your friend was also a group home worker who could not have access to the child for adoption and only for fostering because he was deemed unstable due to his accusations of the father? Is that right?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm confused; it sounds like the biological father of the child was a group home worker but then it sounds like your friend was also a group home worker who could not have access to the child for adoption and only for fostering because he was deemed unstable due to his accusations of the father? Is that right?

My friend is the father, the adopted father, sorry for being unclear. He's the only father his son has had, since their previous foster daughter dropped her crack baby off at their house and begged them to give him the life they tried to give her.

He was initially deemed unsuitable to adopt the baby, despite being a viable group home worker and foster parent, because he had been accused of molestation. Thankfully, when they went to court, the record of the accusation was expunged and his name is now completely clear.

To allow someone to foster, when you deem them unsuitable to adopt, is a broken system.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My friend is the father, the adopted father, sorry for being unclear. He's the only father his son has had, since their previous foster daughter dropped her crack baby off at their house and begged them to give him the life they tried to give her.

He was initially deemed unsuitable to adopt the baby, despite being a viable group home worker and foster parent, because he had been accused of molestation. Thankfully, when they went to court, the record of the accusation was expunged and his name is now completely clear.

To allow someone to foster, when you deem them unsuitable to adopt, is a broken system.
terrifying