Outdoors schools. Why not?

Good idea?

• Total voters

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Star Dispatches: Why the modern classroom is moving outside | Toronto Star

Why? Because there’s mounting evidence that nature enhances children’s health, learning and confidence while cutting down on behavioural issues.

Imagine a class room that's ever changing.
Never at the same place twice in the same year.
I want to go back to school now. :lol:

Could money be saved? With smaller or zero building cost?
Planet earth as your class room. There is a idea worth exploring.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It could work on nice days. It probably wouldnt be too fun in rain or snow though.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I voted yes because there weren't enough choices...you need to do both, in Canada the weather dictates

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It could work on nice days. It probably wouldnt be too fun in rain or snow though.

Would sure build strong character into the little rascals though.
But ya. Extreme weather is out of the question.

I also see them visiting tall buildings, banks etc.... The way I envisioned it, is, not always in the forest.. Could have some urban periods.
Lots to learn everywhere outside.

I voted yes because there weren't enough choices...you need to do both, in Canada the weather dictates

I was trying to keep it simple. And we can discuss the complications and potential ways of managing it in the thread.

The poll is to see if there is at least political will to make it happen In the first place, here in Canada.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Would sure build strong character into the little rascals though.
But ya. Extreme weather is out of the question.

I also see them visiting tall buildings, banks etc.... The way I envisioned it, is, not always in the forest.. Could have some urban periods.
Lots to learn everywhere outside.

I was trying to keep it simple. And we can discuss the complications and potential ways of managing it in the thread.

The poll is to see if there is at least political will to make it happen In the first place, here in Canada.
since they say we are already doing it I think there is. I also think that when they said it helps with behavioral issues that is an important consideration. Kids need to run and explore and get rid of energy...tiny little desks don't allow for that

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and how small will the class have to be for the teacher to be able to keep track of the kids under her charge out in the woods?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
and how small will the class have to be for the teacher to be able to keep track of the kids under her charge out in the woods?

You advance the perceived problem of supervision when it is already fact that a proper natural education is most likely to occur under the least supervision. Those students that fail to return from forestry class are simply and properly given a failing grade for truancy.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
You advance the perceived problem of supervision when it is already fact that a proper natural education is most likely to occur under the least supervision. Those students that fail to return from forestry class are simply and properly given a failing grade for truancy.

:lol:
Let nature do the grading.
Survival.

Good post.. It made me laugh.

Bears, yotes, cougars, etc.

They would be the test.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
besides the wolves might do a better job of raising some of them

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
besides the wolves might do a better job of raising some of them

You guys are on a roll .....

Better then a crack addicted mother ya. Lol

You think they would need more teachers to supervise?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

You guys are on a roll .....

Better then a crack addicted mother ya. Lol

You think they would need more teachers to supervise?

I obviously mistook this thread to be serious rather than a joke or a troll. My mistake. Carry on.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Life is a much better teacher than a classroom. 12 years is way too much time to waste a child's life sitting learning stuff they could learn in a few years. Teach them the basics (like grade 1 & 2) then let life do the teaching. If they need specialized training for a future career, then 11 & 12 stuff would be sufficient. I've always said, school is there to train worker drones for the factories. As George Carlin said, teach them just enough so they are smart enough to run the machines but not smart enough to be capable of critical thought.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Life is a much better teacher than a classroom. 12 years is way too much time to waste a child's life sitting learning stuff they could learn in a few years. Teach them the basics (like grade 1 & 2) then let life do the teaching. If they need specialized training for a future career, then 11 & 12 stuff would be sufficient. I've always said, school is there to train worker drones for the factories. As George Carlin said, teach them just enough so they are smart enough to run the machines but not smart enough to be capable of critical thought.

Ya gotta remember, Carlin was a comedian first and foremost. Somethings he was dead on, other things...well.... he was a comedian first and foremost.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
No, he was a comedian that people, that were to lazy to think for themselves, elevated to an "astute social commentator".

If you go watch some interviews of him or shows he was a guest on you can see him getting pretty serious and arguing about major issues. He wasnt trying to be funny all the time.

Id love to see that model at least tried. I found childhood to be incredibly tedious. I know a fair number of people who would love to do it again, not me.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Id love to see that model at least tried. I found childhood to be incredibly tedious. I know a fair number of people who would love to do it again, not me.

That tediousness was from the first engineered into the public school systems by Prussians. It was to break the will on the wheel of rote.
A graduate slave stays a slave for life. That conditioning is the primary reason for the dismal human condition today. To be broken in a wooden desk seven hours a day is cruel and destructive beyond understanding to children. Anyway you made it out alive I guess.

Let nature do the grading.
Survival.

Good post.. It made me laugh.

They would be the test.

All joking aside, nature will do the grading in every case despite our best efforts to insulate children from nature. Of course you know that life is and was always a test of fitness in every way so in a very real sense, as we see today, you cannot pass a test you have not undertaken, and in life you do not advance unless you pass. How many kids know how to operate the TV at seven or eight but don,t have a clue where food comes from?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
All joking aside, nature will do the grading in every case despite our best efforts to insulate children from nature. Of course you know that life is and was always a test of fitness in every way so in a very real sense, as we see today, you cannot pass a test you have not undertaken, and in life you do not advance unless you pass. How many kids know how to operate the TV at seven or eight but don,t have a clue where food comes from?
yeah they think it comes from a grocery store