What's with the bullsh*t with National Post?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Whenever I click on an article in N.P. a pop up appears asking for money! What's with this sh*t?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Whenever I click on an article in N.P. a pop up appears asking for money! What's with this sh*t?
I have brought my keen investigative and analytical talents to bear on your problem. I went to the National Post myself, and received no such requests. I deduce that you are a fairly regular reader, and that the National Post either keeps track of this, or has installed a tracking cookie on your computer, and now have a policy of asking for contributions from regular readers, i.e., producing the tin cup when connected with a computer that has connected to them several times before.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have brought my keen investigative and analytical talents to bear on your problem. I went to the National Post myself, and received no such requests. I deduce that you are a fairly regular reader, and that the National Post either keeps track of this, or has installed a tracking cookie on your computer, and now have a policy of asking for contributions from regular readers, i.e., producing the tin cup when connected with a computer that has connected to them several times before.

Thanks Tecum............ well, there's other sources of news, so they'll just have to struggle along without my contributions!! -:)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Thanks Tecum............ well, there's other sources of news, so they'll just have to struggle along without my contributions!! -:)

Download CC cleaner- takes care of that - cleans all the cookies and other tidbit that they hide on your computor.
Globe has a limit on articles- when I reach the limit- I run CC and bingo issues cease till I reach that level again
Das gave me that tip on CC Cleaner- also run it before and after any banking / financial transactions.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I get pop-ups asking if I want to earn points or redeem points, JLM. I just click them off and go on with my reading. The one problem I do have with NP is trying to comment on an article - it takes for friggin' ever for the Disqis thingee to load - maybe it is a dial-up thing.

Download CC cleaner- takes care of that - cleans all the cookies and other tidbit that they hide on your computor.
Globe has a limit on articles- when I reach the limit- I run CC and bingo issues cease till I reach that level again
Das gave me that tip on CC Cleaner- also run it before and after any banking / financial transactions.

So where do I go to download the CC cleaner, Goobs?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I get pop-ups asking if I want to earn points or redeem points, JLM. I just click them off and go on with my reading. The one problem I do have with NP is trying to comment on an article - it takes for friggin' ever for the Disqis thingee to load - maybe it is a dial-up thing.

So where do I go to download the CC cleaner, Goobs?

I am blocked as I am at work- google cc cleaner - takes you to the download.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am blocked as I am at work- google cc cleaner - takes you to the download.

Thanks, Goob...............petros contacted me and I decided to download his suggested program.................ran it and things are working just fine.

I already set JLM and her up with something.

Thanks again, petros.............had a lot of 'issues' apparently..............all fixed now. :smile:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, the fix lasted one day, I'm blocked from reading any news articles again this morning. I'll just look for another rag.

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
The National Post has gone to a pay system the same as the Globe and Mail.

I like the NP but I've cut it out of my bookmarks. I'm not going to pay them for news I can get elsewhere, and though I like them I can manage to do without their editorials and columns.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The National Post has gone to a pay system the same as the Globe and Mail.

I like the NP but I've cut it out of my bookmarks. I'm not going to pay them for news I can get elsewhere, and though I like them I can manage to do without their editorials and columns.

Exactly, you can still view all the headlines and copy them and Google them for the story elsewhere. You just have to outwit the bastards!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well, the fix lasted one day, I'm blocked from reading any news articles again this morning. I'll just look for another rag.

Run the cleaner on a regular basis- and you will have no issues.

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Exactly, you can still view all the headlines and copy them and Google them for the story elsewhere. You just have to outwit the bastards!

Good tip, thanks.

It's worth the trouble for a few things a day I might want to read.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Good tip, thanks.

It's worth the trouble for a few things a day I might want to read.

I use cc cleaner - free download- go to filehippo and download- it deletes the tracking cookies- you run it and carry on reading the NP- Globe has the same thing - works like a charm.
When you are reaching your limit - run it again-

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
I use cc cleaner - free download- go to filehippo and download- it deletes the tracking cookies- you run it and carry on reading the NP- Globe has the same thing - works like a charm.
When you are reaching your limit - run it again-

Sounds good. I'll try that too.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Don't have too much respect for NP these days. It seems their copy editor, presuming they have one, has the literacy level of a 10 year old.

They have some good writers.

Just downloaded CCleaner-used to have it long ago on another machine-it really is a slick piece of software and quite effective.

Das turned me onto it. Freeware- works like a dream.