Manitoba aboriginal group squanders flood millions

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Crown people, whether in the senate or aboriginal peoples with treaties, can squander all the money they want, and the govt of the day just yawns. Legalised theft is institutionalised in Ottawa. White collar crime is an oxymoron in Ottawa.

Treaties like the 1763 Proclamation were from an era of slavery, paternalism and open racism. The 18th century was a very different era. Blacks were slaves in the USA. Yet this treaty is the basis of treaties in Canada. Treaties are dead letters and should be nullified. Aboriginal rez should be turned into municipalities with a decade.

Hotel bills for Manitoba flood evacuees going unpaid - Manitoba - CBC News

Hotel bills for Manitoba flood evacuees going unpaid
Manitoba Association of Aboriginal Fire Fighters received funds for invoices, bills remain unpaid
Holly Moore CBC News Posted: Apr 3, 2013 5:58 AM CT Last Updated: Apr 3, 2013 6:35 PM CT

About 2,000 people still remain displaced by the Manitoba flood of 2011, and the agency that is supposed to pay for their expenses now owes millions of dollars in unpaid bills to hotels and other businesses.

CBC has learned the Manitoba Association of Aboriginal Fire Fighters (MANFF), which disburses federal dollars to flood evacuees, hasn’t been paying some bills for the last six months.

At least six hotels and a restaurant are owed about $3 million.

“I've had kids here for a year and half, and we’re not getting paid for their food or their housing,” said Mike Bruneau, owner Misty Lake Lodge near Gimli and the Ashern Motor Hotel. He said he hasn’t been paid for six months.

Bruneau said he is now owed almost $2 million. Misty Lake houses 65 evacuees from Lake St. Martin and Little Saskatchewan First Nations. Another 20 evacuees live at his Ashern hotel.

Misty Lake was once a popular wedding and convention destination but because of how the lodge has been renovated into living quarters to accommodate the evacuees, that business is gone.

“I'll survive for a while. I may have to sell some of my assets ... I'll keep going,” he said.

“What I'm doing now I will not quit. I'm into it too much.”

One Winnipeg hotel, which also houses evacuees, is owed almost $1 million. An Interlake hotel has outstanding bills of $220,000 and a campground is owed $120,000.

Misty Lake Lodge offered payment deal
Misty Lake was set to meet with MANFF two weeks ago to sort out the bills, but the meeting was cancelled with a few hours notice.

MANFF has not responded to CBC’s repeated requests for an interview.

Late Monday, MANFF sent a fax to Misty Lake Lodge offering to pay part of their bill if the total from six invoices was cut by $148,000.

According to the province, MANFF is an agent of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada that reports to an independent board of directors.

They submit paid invoices for their expenses to the province’s EMO office, which in turn recovers the money from the federal government through disaster relief agreements.

Feds paid MANFF for invoices: hotel manager
Rytha Dykes, general manager at Misty Lake Lodge, said she checked with EMO and discovered the province had already paid MANFF for the Misty Lake’s invoices — the very ones which MANFF has been slow to settle.

Dykes said they are trying to focus on caring for evacuees despite the billing issues.

“I know every single guest here by their first name and probably know what their favourite colour is even. We have very personal relationships with our guests now,” she said.

The province says $72 million has been advanced since the onset of the flood to MANFF in order to keep cash flowing to evacuees, but it doesn’t watch how the money is spent — that’s done in a federal audit, which hasn’t happened yet.

The province sent a statement to CBC on Wednesday that MANFF must submit a receipt from a vendor with a cheque stub in order for the Emergency Measures Office to reimburse them.

EMO is up to date with reimbursements that MANFF has submitted to them – though there may be outstanding amounts that MANFF has not submitted to EMO.

AANDC spokesperson Ellen Funk said in an emailed statement a management review is being conducted at MANFF and is a “routine and important part of the review process.”

A report is expected later this spring.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Old sea cans are $1700 a pop and make great temporary housing and are a wonderful motivator to pick up a hammer and start rebuilding instead sitting on your azz waiting for somebody to do it for you.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I have a solution. Give them their land back and then let them sink or swim on their own. My guess is with all that land they could achieve alot. It's just a little hard to do when we take all their land and leave them with the worst land, the dregs we didn't want.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Crown people, whether in the senate or aboriginal peoples with treaties, can squander all the money they want, and the govt of the day just yawns. Legalised theft is institutionalised in Ottawa. White collar crime is an oxymoron in Ottawa.

Treaties like the 1763 Proclamation were from an era of slavery, paternalism and open racism. The 18th century was a very different era. Blacks were slaves in the USA. Yet this treaty is the basis of treaties in Canada. Treaties are dead letters and should be nullified. Aboriginal rez should be turned into municipalities with a decade.

So, you're saying that because one organization in the First Nations structure arguably misuses money, the whole First Nations structure should be abolished?

OK, I'm good with that, as long as the next time some Canadian government organization (like the Senate) misuses money, the entire Canadian system of government is abolished.

Gotta be consistent, eh?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The thing that made First Nation people thrive in the past has been destroyed and it has nothing to do with land, residential schools or racism.

It's the same issue we all face which is the death of the family.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The thing that made First Nation people thrive in the past has been destroyed and it has nothing to do with land, residential schools or racism.

Well, that lets you off the hook.

I figure us Shawnees had it coming because we had abortion.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So, you're saying that because one organization in the First Nations structure arguably misuses money, the whole First Nations structure should be abolished?

OK, I'm good with that, as long as the next time some Canadian government organization (like the Senate) misuses money, the entire Canadian system of government is abolished.

Gotta be consistent, eh?

Well, since we are the government, I guess that would mean abolishing Canada, no?

And the residential school system did not contribute to the death of the family among first peoples? Remember, the last school shut its doors in 1996!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, that lets you off the hook.

I figure us Shawnees had it coming because we had abortion.

What was I on the hook for? What obligations do I have?

And the residential school system did not contribute to the death of the family among first peoples? Remember, the last school shut its doors in 1996!
Which were run by First Nations since 1974.

Did going to school kill your family or did your education enhance it?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, since we are the government, I guess that would mean abolishing Canada, no?
Works for me.

Nope, turns out the Indian schools didn't cause any problems at all. It was the families.

Go figure.

You have an obligation to blame everything from the American genocide to problem dandruff on the decline of the "family." Ride that hobbyhorse, cowboy!

Had a lot more time with my family after I ran away from the school.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

Yeah, the older I get, the more I'm starting to sympathize with this view.

As for teh residential schools, I don't know much about it, but to hear those that went there describe themselves as survivors is a bit drama if you ask me. I don't think they were run quite the same as Aushwitz.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

I agree. Epidemic disease, habitat deprivation, destruction of our economies and way of life, occupation of our land, centuries of discrimination, alcohol, kidnapping of our children? No effect at all.

It was the breakdown of the fambly what done it!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And white man has it made in the shade under your last sacred tree eh?

Nobody else but FNs had their cultures and Religions attacked, weren't beaten into speaking English, weren't enslaved, chastised, ridiculed and push on to sh*tty land?

If that is what you believe then it's the English who still have you wrapped around their finger with a very jaded history of the Americas and not "f*ckin' whitie" as a whole.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I got to go back home every evening. Yes, indigenous peoples took over the schools realizing they were better than nothing, but the kids were still separated from their parents and still learning in a foreign language in some cases. Even now in the regular schools Inuit children's drop-out rate is higher than average just because they can't follow classes easily in a foreign language (though that is changing as more and more schools in Nunavut are shifting to Inuktitut as the language of instruction), but I don't think many outside of Nunavut are benefiting from this, essentially learning in what is sometimes a foreign language to them. I was surprised recently to find that even today some Algonquins can speak neither English nor French well, so I'd immagine that there'd be more with a weak command. Essentially foreigners on their own land.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
As young children, Lyna and Glen were taken from their homes and placed in church-run boarding schools. The trauma of this experience was made worse by years of untold physical, sexual and emotional abuse, the effects of which persist in their adult lives. In this emotional film, the profound impact of the Canadian government's residential school system is conveyed unflinchingly through the eyes of two children who were forced to face hardships beyond their years. We Were Children gives voice to a national tragedy and demonstrates the incredible resilience of the human spirit.

We Were Children | APTN

And as horrifying as those stories are, what happened after, as a result, was sometimes even more horrifying. Because of the abuse, many became alcoholics and junkies and had children of their own. They were incapable of nurturing or caring for these children. Because of complete lack of nurturing in the schools, many of these mothers were unable to even hold or hug their children. They were incapable of love. They consumed alcohol and drugs to kill their own pain but as a result, inflicted their pain on their children. It was a vicious circle that went on for generations. That sort of damage does not just go away in one generation.

I have heard "white" people say they (the aboriginal people) should just buck up and get over it. Grow up already. Get on with life and become just like us. It infuriates me to no end.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I know plenty of people who went to residential school and liked it because it was better than living at home.

They are also thankful for the $34K in "@rse money" they were paid as an unwarranted bonus for being somewhere they wanted to be in the first place that put them in a lifetime position to escape the life they gladly left behind when they went off to school.

Two of them even went back to teach at the very same residential school.