Heroic student punished

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm not sure if 'praising' is the route you necessarily want to go when a young person does this, making an attempt to disarm someone wielding a weapon doesn't always turn out so well and you certainly don't want to encourage kids to be making those decisions. However, in no way shape or form should he have been punished for it. He absolutely should have had what was obviously his intent to diffuse a potentially dangerous situation acknowledged, he definitely should have had that attitude praised, but the action he took was potentially dangerous in and of itself and that needs to be addressed. But not through punishment, not at all. Seems fairly clear that the boy made a judgement call, for all the best intentions, and that should be over and above all what should be acknowledged.

That the school simply lumped him in with the other boys involved in the altercation is short sighted and shows black and white thinking. This situation was all about grey area, his actions seem to have sprung from the best of intentions. So while the potential risk of his actions needs to be addressed, you have to give due to the boy's instincts and heart as well.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
While I think I can understand the logic of the school thinking his 'judgment call' was not proper, at the same time, punishing him for it like this is actually more wrong than the act itself. And take the school out of the equation and we'd be calling the kid a hero.

Good on the parents for sticking up for their son and exposing the school.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Given education is in the jurisdiction of the provinces id like to think that this sort of thing wouldnt happen here. It probably would though unfortunately. The whole "no tolerance" thing on fights needs to be rethought. If a kid is defending themselves or another person that kid should not get into any trouble whatsoever.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
This is just wrong on so many levels. It does however demonstrate that what a kid has been taught at home will over ride what they have been instructed to do at school. In this case it was a great thing. The kid weighed the situation and responded correctly. Had there been a few people like this kid in the crowd that was watching the British kid get beheaded, he might well still be alive today.

We are teaching kids to be watchers not responders and I think that is a bad thing.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
We are teaching kids to be watchers not responders and I think that is a bad thing.

Agreed. If this story was about three adults in the same situation the guy would be considered a hero.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Agreed. If this story was about three adults in the same situation the guy would be considered a hero.
yes and the reason the schools respond this way is because of possible litigation which is understandable but for me, still not acceptable

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
More like teachers are disconnected from reality.
it has nothing to do with teachers they do not make the rules they are imposed upon them...this has to do with PARENTS and Board policy...if a board is likely to be sued by parents or threatened (and it happens constantly) then they respond... That is what guides the rules... litigation.This is a societal/systemic issue... it is about us and what we allow....or rather the generation which my generation has raised.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Freakin odd decision on the VP's part, IMO. Kids are taught not to tolerate bullying and to stand up to them on one hand, and then this? The boy looks old enough (13) to be able to figure out his and the other kid's chances after a surprise attack on the kid with the knife to me. Go find a teacher; yeah right.
And wtf is the school brass doing allowing kids to bring knives to school in the first place? Or even not checking to make sure they don't bring knives, brass knuckles, guns, etc. to school?
Yep, teaching kids by punishing their use of discretion and to not getting involved will do wonders. Also teaching them that VP's and other adults do not trust them to do the right things will do wonders.
"Oh, jeeez, you're being beaten and mugged, Mr. VP. Sorry, not gonna help. I gotta go find a cop".