Dying girl's plight sparks fight over organ transplants

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Dying girl's plight sparks fight over organ transplants

Dying Girl needs Lung Transplant 10 year old Sarah Murnaghan on Waiting List Fights Cystic Fibrosis - YouTube

The plight of a 10-year-old Pennsylvania girl who could die within weeks without a lung transplant has sparked a fight for new rules governing organ donations.

Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition on Change.org, and a congressman has called on the Obama administration to take quick action.

Sarah Murnaghan -- whose story CNN chronicled -- needs new lungs. She's been in a Philadelphia hospital for months due to the cystic fibrosis that she's had since birth.

She's at the top of the list for any pediatric lungs that may become available for transplant in her region. She's been waiting for 18 months. None have come along.

But doctors say modified adult lungs could help save her -- and adult lungs become available much more often.

That's where the rules becomes a problem.

Kids under age 12 aren't prioritized for adult organs. So Sarah could only get available adult lungs if everyone else waiting for lungs in her region -- no matter how sick they are -- turns them down.

Sarah's mother, Janet Murnaghan, told CNN she was "shocked" when she learned the rules a couple of weeks ago.

The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) manages the nation's transplant system under contract with the Department of Health and Human Services. The network, established by Congress, is officially called the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN).

Lawmaker assails 'tragic unfairness'

Rep. Patrick Meehan, a Republican who represents Sarah's district, sent a letter Tuesday to Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, calling on her to convene a meeting of the network's leadership immediately "to address this tragic unfairness and act to give Sarah a chance at life and an adult lung from the next available donor. Sarah's young life literally hangs in the balance."

It's a message echoed on the Change.org petition.

"This policy needs to change," it reads. "The OPTN/UNOS Lung Review Board, a national group of transplant physicians and surgeons, can make an exceptional ruling for Sarah. And they can recommend new policies."

People posted heartfelt messages along with their signatures.

"Because my daughter had (cystic fibrosis) and a double lung transplant. Give this little girl the life she is entitled to!" wrote Reyna Kosla.

"She has just as much right to have a transplant as any adult. She could have her whole life if given that chance and for the parents to enjoy what some waiting adults have already experienced," wrote Lorraine Husack.

Organ network: Breaking the rules could hurt another patient

OPTN issued a statement noting that there is a separate policy for children because the "biological needs and circumstances of candidates younger than age 12 are different from either adolescent or adult candidates. One key difference is the size and lung capacity of donors and patients among these age ranges."

Kids younger than age 12 are prioritized for donations from other kids of similar age and size within a 1,000-mile radius.

Policies allow "status adjustments for specifically defined groups of candidates with unique medical circumstances not addressed by the overall policy," the statement says.

But, it adds, a "request to adjust the status of a patient under age 12 so that they may be included in the allocation sequence for adolescents and adults is not within the scope of the existing lung allocation policy. OPTN cannot create a policy exemption on behalf of an individual patient, since giving an advantage to one patient may unduly disadvantage others."

The network routinely reviews policies and considers "public input as well as medical data and experience," the statement said.

Dr. Stuart Sweet, a board member at UNOS, helped develop the current policies.

"There is no perfect system," he told CNN. "It's the best we can do right now."

Sweet said Sarah's story "tugs at his heart" but that if he changed the system for Sarah's advantage, "there's another patient, very likely an adolescent, who gets a disadvantage."

"We've built a system that tries to be as fair to everyone as possible."

source: Dying girl's plight sparks fight over organ transplants - CNN.com

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Can't see how adolescents could be put at a disadvantage if the kid gets modified adult lungs, especially if there are plenty of lungs from adults around. The policies seem to not have been well-thought out. I wonder what would happen if those that made the policies had to look the girl face to face.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder what would happen if those that made the policies had to look the girl face to face.

I imagine the world would be a very different place if policy makers on every issue had to do this.

This is a strange rule. If the lungs are available, give it to her. Letting someone die over red tape makes no sense.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
OMG there should be one freaking list...that's it...you're on it or you're not...the lungs fit or they don't...how hard is that

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
OMG there should be one freaking list...that's it...you're on it or you're not...the lungs fit or they don't...how hard is that

That's the problem... they don't fit. So, to UNOS's way of thinking, give them to someone they DO fit, even if that person isn't as ill.

It's such a massive apples and oranges argument. I don't envy the people at UNOS one bit in having to make the tough decisions.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's the problem... they don't fit. So, to UNOS's way of thinking, give them to someone they DO fit, even if that person isn't as ill.

It's such a massive apples and oranges argument. I don't envy the people at UNOS one bit in having to make the tough decisions.
but Karrie, if they don't fit then they are not compatible...it is that simple, one list and truth be told sometimes they think it will work and it doesn't...that happened to a co-workers husband...went to put the heart in and it was too small...done.

In another instance a friend's daughter's body could no longer take dialysis... there was no match for her available...her mum gave her one of hers. Technically it should not have lasted too long but shocker, it lasted way longer than a closer match is expected to. These things are hit and miss. I feel sorry for the parents but the reality also is, these lungs won't last that long either...and she is going to have to take a lot of drugs daily poor kid.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The question we have to ask is wether every life must be saved with the maximum amount of science available or not regardless of cost or likelihood of success. And to go with that the ultimate question- WHO PAYS?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Don't they have mechanical lungs to keep her alive while she is still waiting for lungs??

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The question we have to ask is wether every life must be saved with the maximum amount of science available or not regardless of cost or likelihood of success. And to go with that the ultimate question- WHO PAYS?

And that quandary is only going to get worse.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
but Karrie, if they don't fit then they are not compatible...

What's confusing people is that, given the choice between a child dying, and throwing a set of lungs away because no one matches, they can trim them down to fit. And it can work. But it's not as safe, it's a 'final measure'. So while I feel immensely for this child's family, UNOS has reasons, and other people matter too, even if they're not as sick, or cute.

Running a popularity poll on Change.org won't change the unpopular, calculated decisions UNOS has to make.

Don't they have mechanical lungs to keep her alive while she is still waiting for lungs??

Aren't 'mechanical lungs' for when there is a muscular failure? It doesn't accommodate for when the lungs are drowning in themselves.

A lung transplant with a trim won't cost much more than a lung transplant I'd gather.

And a rejuvenated, healthy, intelligent person, will probably pay more back in taxes than they ever took from the system.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What's confusing people is that, given the choice between a child dying, and throwing a set of lungs away because no one matches, they can trim them down to fit. And it can work. But it's not as safe, it's a 'final measure'. So while I feel immensely for this child's family, UNOS has reasons, and other people matter too, even if they're not as sick, or cute.
If there are reasonable explanations as to why one gets a lung and the other doesn't, that's fine, but this particular policy isn't reasonable.

Running a popularity poll on Change.org won't change the unpopular, calculated decisions UNOS has to make.
Stressing the word "calculated" here, I agree.

Aren't 'mechanical lungs' for when there is a muscular failure? It doesn't accommodate for when the lungs are drowning in themselves.
What they are used for is to keep blood circulating and oxygenated while a patient's heart is stopped during heart surgery. Hemo-oxygenating blood would be required 24/7. Kidney hemodialysis would seem like a holiday in comparison and that's about 4 hours per day 3 days a week on average. I'd suggest finding a biologically compatible lung, adult or otherwise, trim it to fit, observe the patient for a while, and then let them go. And stick that ridiculous policy up someone's dairy airy (scuse my French). :D

A lung transplant with a trim won't cost much more than a lung transplant I'd gather.

And a rejuvenated, healthy, intelligent person, will probably pay more back in taxes than they ever took from the system.
I think you're right.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One of the main criteria for transplants is the amount of use the transplanted organ will get, hence the reason why it generally goes to a younger patient.