Black teacher fired for word 'negro'

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
By NY Post - A Bronx teacher says her language lesson was lost in translation when she was fired for calling a student "Negro" — though she claims she was simply using the Spanish word for the color "black" at the time, according to a new lawsuit.

The non-tenured junior high instructor, Petrona Smith, 65, was booted from the bilingual PS 211 in March 2012 after a seventh-grader reported the alleged insult.

Smith, who is black and a native of the West Indies, has been unemployed since her ouster.

more

Black teacher fired for word 'negro' - New York News | NYC Breaking News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
a 2011 investigation substantiated the student's undated claims based on accounts from four seventh-grade witnesses, even though the student's own parents said he'd lied about the event.
8O unbelievable... negro (black) in Spanish and they fired her? It doesn't seem possible..yet here it is.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Weird. The Spanish teacher I had in high school taught us that and no one cared.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Last edited:

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
By NY Post - A Bronx teacher says her language lesson was lost in translation when she was fired for calling a student "Negro" — though she claims she was simply using the Spanish word for the color "black" at the time, according to a new lawsuit.

The non-tenured junior high instructor, Petrona Smith, 65, was booted from the bilingual PS 211 in March 2012 after a seventh-grader reported the alleged insult.

Smith, who is black and a native of the West Indies, has been unemployed since her ouster.

more

Black teacher fired for word 'negro' - New York News | NYC Breaking News

Odd. 'Negro' is a perfectly good word. Calling me 'caucasian'is acceptable.

From Doonesbury:
You mean'COLORED PEOPLE'?
no!!! PEOPLE OF COLOUR!!!"

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Racism is only one way in the USA.. towards whites or Christians.. with the attack on Christmas, and seemingly bending over backward to not offend Islam..

Lets have a "Miss White America" or a "White Only Business Directory" and we will be labeled racist.. but when blacks do it.. society has deems it o.k.

Black Houston Business, Black Directory, Houston Black Businesses, Houston Black Directory.com:::

Miss Black America Pagent Rebirth 2009

Black Entertainment Television

United Negro College Fund

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The media makes human resources issues look so black and white, when they are usually (actually pretty much always)far more complicated than how they are reported. I would bet money that whatever transpired at the end was after a long list conduct violations, and it probably wasn't a simple "shucks, they said a word." The employer can't argue it in the news. I'll bet they were dealing with a real piece of work.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The media makes human resources issues look so black and white, when they are usually (actually pretty much always)far more complicated than how they are reported. I would bet money that whatever transpired at the end was after a long list conduct violations, and it probably wasn't a simple "shucks, they said a word." The employer can't argue it in the news. I'll bet they were dealing with a real piece of work.
and that could well be, as it is usually very hard to fire someone!