US bridge collapse sends cars, people into river

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
US bridge collapse sends cars, people into river

A highway bridge over a river in the northwestern US state of Washington partially collapsed Thursday, sending cars and people plunging into the water below without causing any fatalities.

Three people were fished out but there were no reports of serious injuries or fatalities in the incident, which officials said appeared to have been caused by a high-sided truck hitting a bridge span.

Pictures showed a large mangled section of the bridge, which carries the Interstate 5 highway over the Skagit river north of Seattle, collapsed into the water, with traffic and crowds of people visible on the end nearest land.

The four-lane road bridge, built in 1955 according to reports, is some 60 miles north of Seattle. The I-5 freeway runs up the US West Coast, from the Mexican border all the way to Canada.

"The good news is, it appears there have been no fatalities," Washington Governor Jay Inslee told reporters during a visit to the scene.

"There were three people who were rescued from the river" and taken to local hospitals, he said, adding "there were some injuries," without providing further details.

Authorities called off the search and rescue operation later Thursday night.

"It appears as though there was only the three victims and there is nobody else in the water. We've discontinued our search," Skagit County Sheriff Will Reichardt told reporters.

A law enforcement source cited by the Seattle Times said about 150 yards (140 meters) of freeway collapsed, sending a car, a truck and a trailer into the water some 120 feet (40 meters) below.

"It's a hell of a ride," the source was quoted as saying.

The governor said a full investigation had been launched but that the collapse -- which took place at 7:00 pm (0200 GMT Friday) -- appeared to have been triggered by a large truck hitting some part of the bridge structure.

Washington State Patrol Chief John Batiste said a truck with an oversized load heading southbound in the far right lane had struck the bridge, which may have precipitated the collapse.

Dale Ogden told KING 5 television he saw the truck strike the bridge. "I was less than 50 feet away from the truck when it hit it... I had just passed it in the fast lane southbound and it had an oversized load," he said.

"I saw the truck strike the right corner of the bridge. It almost tipped the truck over but it came back down," he said.

"It tipped it up to about a 30-degree angle to the left and it came back down on its wheels and almost instantaneously behind that I saw girders falling in my rearview mirror."

Inslee called the I-5 corridor the "aorta" of transport in western Washington state and said every effort would be made to channel traffic around the disabled bridge.

source: AFP: US bridge collapse sends cars, people into river

Sorta shows the decay the USA infrastructure is in .. they call it Painted Rust.

Raw Video: Washington State Bridge Collapse - YouTube

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It was terrorust attack!

There was a term coined in Russia about America's infrastructure and it was Painted Rust.
It was basically how we would just paint up what needs to be fixed and call it new.

So after the Event, if any of America's infrastructure is left, will you trust it?

After the Event nature will be able to make America more natural faster because it's infrastructure is weak.

Thoughts?

...as far as the bridge above... "Rust in Peace"

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How many years did it take to build the interstate system and how long ago were thousands of bridges built using inferior materials like dirty steel made from warships?

It's kind of like the old pipelines that are breaking but people have no idea they are 50-60+ years old and not even close to the steel made and the clean welds of today.

Action Plan has dumped big piles of RMBs into Canadian infrastructure.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
There was a term coined in Russia about America's infrastructure and it was Painted Rust.
It was basically how we would just paint up what needs to be fixed and call it new.

So after the Event, if any of America's infrastructure is left, will you trust it?

After the Event nature will be able to make America more natural faster because it's infrastructure is weak.

Thoughts?

...as far as the bridge above... "Rust in Peace"

Unfortunatley,when the Eisenhower Administration built the interstate, no one forsaw the 'Next gen' Republicans squandering the funds invading IRAQ. instead of repalcign infrastructure....

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Unfortunatley,when the Eisenhower Administration built the interstate, no one forsaw the 'Next gen' Republicans squandering the funds invading IRAQ. instead of repalcign infrastructure....
Where did the Bamster's trillions of stimulus money go?

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Im surprised that there were no fatalities. Its a pretty big bridge.

a lot of stuff from the 1950's is built for lighter loading. The US interstate system was a pretty great project , & it bought the USA out of the 1957 -59 recession. But it was a pretty far reaching project. Stretched resources to the max...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
How many years did it take to build the interstate system and how long ago were thousands of bridges built using inferior materials like dirty steel made from warships?

It's kind of like the old pipelines that are breaking but people have no idea they are 50-60+ years old and not even close to the steel made and the clean welds of today.

Action Plan has dumped big piles of RMBs into Canadian infrastructure.

RMBs?