Veteran told to remove wheelchair ramp after neighbour complains

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A military veteran has been told to remove a wheelchair accessible ramp from his property at a Dartmouth trailer park, after receiving permission to build it.

Frederick Randall says his wheelchair helps him maintain his quality of life for now and he expects he will be confined to it one day.
“I’m a veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces and my back was injured,” he says.

Randall has lung disease, suffered a heart attack and, among other ailments, he lives with post-traumatic stress disorder.
“I take 28 different prescriptions a day,” he says.

Veterans Affairs bought him the wheelchair and suggested he get a ramp, so Randall filled out all the necessary paperwork and asked the landowners for permission to build it.

“I’ve showed her how it was being built, where it was being constructed and everything else and she said that’s fine by me.”

But recently he received a letter saying the ramp needs to be removed, after a neighbour complained.

“He was told that he had to keep the distance from the other trailer,” says trailer park owner Bill Whebby.

The Randalls own their home, but Whebby owns the property in the trailer park. He says they can keep the ramp, but suggests cutting into the deck to create more space between the two homes.

“No issue with him having a wheelchair ramp at all…(the issue is) that it’s encroaching on the other person’s lot,” says Whebby.
“Under the building code there are no regulations that would prohibit the construction of a deck based on its proximity to another single-family dwelling, so, from our perspective, the siting of the ramp was perfectly accessible and that’s why we did issue the permit,” says HRM spokesperson Tiffany Chase.

Jean-Christophe de Le Rue, a spokesperson for Veterans Affairs, released the following statement on Tuesday night:

"Veterans who have served Canada should not have to fight when they get home to use the tools that they need for their daily life. We encourage Canadians to show compassion towards those who were injured while serving their country."

Randall says he doesn’t have the money to move the ramp and he’s willing to fight, even if it means going to court.

“If I lose my ramp then I have no means to get out into society.”

Veteran told to remove wheelchair ramp after neighbour complains | CTV Atlantic News

That's the spirit.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well that's not very neighbourly now, is it? If it doesn't violate the building codes I can't see why he would have to move it. It says in the article that he asked for permission from the lot owner but I'm pretty sure, although I could be wrong, that permission couldn't be reasonably denied either for something like that.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Wow, there is a huge difference between telling someone they have to move a ramp, and telling them they have to remove a ramp.

Well that's not very neighbourly now, is it? If it doesn't violate the building codes I can't see why he would have to move it. It says in the article that he asked for permission from the lot owner but I'm pretty sure, although I could be wrong, that permission couldn't be reasonably denied either for something like that.

Over and above the lot owner, the article says Halifax Regional Municipality (am I the only one who was annoyed that the article said HRM without explaining what it was?) gave him the permit. If the municipality said it's not encroaching, then I don't see how anyone else can say it is.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Over and above the lot owner, the article says Halifax Regional Municipality (am I the only one who was annoyed that the article said HRM without explaining what it was?) gave him the permit. If the municipality said it's not encroaching, then I don't see how anyone else can say it is.

Exactly, it must meet the code or else they wouldn't have signed off right? Doesn't it have to be inspected if there is a permit issued?

As far as the permission thing, I can see maybe needing to get the okay to build it in the first place, officially at least, from the lot owner though. But it definitely wouldn't be up to the lot owner to determine whether it's encroaching. So I can't see where he (the lot owner) or the neighbour have a leg to stand on.

And yes the HRM thing was rather annoying, lol.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Just curious... is it on the other owner's lot?

Personally if it was on my lot I'd let it stay... I was just wondering.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Exactly, it must meet the code or else they wouldn't have signed off right? Doesn't it have to be inspected if there is a permit issued?

As far as the permission thing, I can see maybe needing to get the okay to build it in the first place, officially at least, from the lot owner though. But it definitely wouldn't be up to the lot owner to determine whether it's encroaching. So I can't see where he (the lot owner) or the neighbour have a leg to stand on.

And yes the HRM thing was rather annoying, lol.

I highly doubt that a property owner can deny you from making your home handicap accessible via municipality approved development.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's a pad in a trailer park which is rented or leased. He owns the trailer. The trailer park still has to meet code and access rights.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I highly doubt that a property owner can deny you from making your home handicap accessible via municipality approved development.

I'm sure they wouldn't be able to reasonably deny any accessibility modification/renovation on a rented property but I still think you'd need to get them to sign off on it, which he did do anyway. But the part that stymies me is where the owner of the lot is making the determination that the structure of the ramp is encroaching. It's not for him to say. If it's built to code, then it's built to code. Whatever the code may be.

It was planned, approved by all parties and built accordingly from my understanding. I'd say if he (the lot owner) wants it moved, he can pay for it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'm sure they wouldn't be able to reasonably deny any accessibility modification/renovation on a rented property but I still think you'd need to get them to sign off on it, which he did do anyway. But the part that stymies me is where the owner of the lot is making the determination that the structure of the ramp is encroaching. It's not for him to say. If it's built to code, then it's built to code. Whatever the code may be.

It was planned, approved by all parties and built accordingly from my understanding. I'd say if he (the lot owner) wants it moved, he can pay for it.

Trailer parks have marked lot sizes- space is tight. So people value their green space- yard space etc.
Having permits does not entitle anyone to build on land they do not own or rent.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Trailer parks have marked lot sizes- space is tight. So people value their green space- yard space etc.
Having permits does not entitle anyone to build on land they do not own or rent.

I get that but the lot owner (landlord) already signed off on it. Besides which, I'd be willing to bet that if push came to shove, he would be over ruled if he tried to deny permission anyway. At least, I know that's the direction it's going here in Ontario with accessibility matters (I have some familiarity because my mother has accessibility issues) so I wouldn't be surprised if it's moving in that same direction in other provinces too.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

He did not build on any land that he does not own or rent.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I get that but the lot owner (landlord) already signed off on it. Besides which, I'd be willing to bet that if push came to shove, he would be over ruled if he tried to deny permission anyway. At least, I know that's the direction it's going here in Ontario with accessibility matters (I have some familiarity because my mother has accessibility issues) so I wouldn't be surprised if it's moving in that same direction in other provinces too.

Deleted - Gerry clarified that it is on his own lot. Have to read that article again.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I bet that this really has nothing to do with proximity to lot lines or any such stuff. One of his neighbours has decided that the ramp looks ugly and is using any trick he or she can think of to get rid of it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I've seen houses in the city that are built closer together than the ramp is to the other trailer here. I really don't see the neighbour who is complaining has any footing in this. I suspect that if this goes to court (judging by the comments at the bottom of the article) that there will be a lot of people willing to help him with any costs incrued by it. I also suspect that he will prevail in the end, and the ramp will be staying where it is.