Oil markets fall under the suspicion of price-fixing on a global scale

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
IT IS a lesson of the past five years that benchmarks in unregulated markets can fall victim to the incentives they create. Subprime mortgages bundled into securities often won high scores from ratings agencies that stood to profit in a busy market. The London Interbank Offered Rate, LIBOR, was sometimes underestimated by banks which were cast in a healthier light by lower interest rates.

Has something similar been going on in energy?

That is the suspicion after a series of raids on May 14th by the European Commission’s competition authorities. The commission declared that it feared oil companies had “colluded” to distort benchmark prices for crude, oil products and biofuels. Royal Dutch Shell, BP, Norway’s Statoil and Italy’s ENI (which was not raided) all said that they were co-operating with the commission. The competition authorities also called on the London offices of Platts, a subsidiary of McGraw Hill, an American publisher and business-information firm, which sets reference prices for these commodities.

Trading in oil: Libor in a barrel | The Economist

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Suspicion of price fixing? That's funny. Outright theft at the pump is more like it. Governments should be charged as well for treating fuel as a cash cow to milk to pay for anything not related to highways.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When Saudi Arabia (OPEC) announced the biggest project the world has ever seen and said they were going to peg oil at $100 to pay for did you think they were bullsh*tting?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Had to go out of town the other day.

When I left every gas station in town was selling @ $1.18

When I came back EVERY gas station was selling @ $1.22 (4-5 hours max)

God has intervened, says I. How else except a miracle could all these prices move at the same time, by the same amount.

Praise Jesus, I'm going back to church.

How else can one explain it. ??

Either that or the fvckers were waiting till I left town to do it.

But, I'm not that important, really. So why would they wait ?

Either that or it's collusion, and we all know they wouldn't do that.............capitalism and the free market and all...............eh;-)

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Had to go out of town the other day.

When I left every gas station in town was selling @ $1.18

When I came back EVERY gas station was selling @ $1.22 (4-5 hours max)

God has intervened, says I. How else except a miracle could all these prices move at the same time, by the same amount.

Praise Jesus, I'm going back to church.

How else can one explain it. ??

Either that or the fvckers were waiting till I left town to do it.

But, I'm not that important, really. So why would they wait ?

Either that or it's collusion, and we all know they wouldn't do that.............capitalism and the free market and all...............eh;-)

Must have been this Jesus................
save fuel by riding with these bros, Nuggler..

Attachments

• americanjesus.jpg
    americanjesus.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2
  • amish-bikers_jpg.jpg
    amish-bikers_jpg.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 3