School discontinues Mother's Day and Father's Day

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
because some kids might have two moms or two dads

A Nova Scotia school is causing controversy after deciding to stop celebrating Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, instead opting to recognize the International Day of Families instead.

The Dartmouth elementary school said it is aiming to celebrate diversity and inclusivity while avoiding making children who are part of non-traditional families feel left out.

more

No more Father's, Mother's Day? School nixes celebration in the post-nuclear age | CTV News

h/t Fark

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
For a kid who has lost his mother or father, the respective day may seem hard. They are all just holidays designed to have you spend money anyways.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
meh, no biggie in my eyes in fact I prefer the idea of International Family Day. The whole mother's/father's day thing has always been tough for many kids... ditch it

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What about the orphans?

International Family Day will be like a stab in the heart for them.

Let's ban that too
families are created by us... they do not need to be a female and a male who are married or have any specifics at all. We may choose to put together our family and that does not lessen what people have.

Thus International Family day works for everyone "orphans" included. They may even have foster families that treat them better than any biological parent did. The traditional happy Family is a myth for many in the world.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
families are created by us... they do not need to be a female and a male who are married or have any specifics at all. We may choose to put together our family and that does not lessen what people have.

Thus International Family day works for everyone "orphans" included. They may even have foster families that treat them better than any biological parent did. The traditional happy Family is a myth for many in the world.

Why not just cut right to the chase here and have 'Sperm and Ova Day' to recognize the building blocks that lead to conception.

... That or just redefine 'hump day' that occurs every week and do away with the entire concept

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

A Nova Scotia school is causing controversy after deciding to stop celebrating Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, instead opting to recognize the International Day of Families instead.

The Dartmouth elementary school said it is aiming to celebrate diversity and inclusivity while avoiding making children who are part of non-traditional families feel left out.

more

No more Father's, Mother's Day? School nixes celebration in the post-nuclear age | CTV News

h/t Fark

People are Nuts!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Why not just cut right to the chase here and have 'Sperm and Ova Day' to recognize the building blocks that lead to conception.

... That or just redefine 'hump day' that occurs every week and do away with the entire concept
I really am not certain of what you are saying here since that is pretty much what mother's and father's day currently represents. So if you are going with the status quo you are already there.

I know some people do believe that is what makes a parent. I personally do not believe the ability to successfully place sperm and egg together to produce a child qualifies them as a parent nor do I believe that the ability to successfully produce children means one should. And I would further point out the level of pedophilia and abuse would support my stance.

A kid doesn't need a mother and father, they need nurturing, guidance and most of all love.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
What I'm driving at here is that the world is going so hyper-PC that it now attempts to conform solely to the minority rather than the average person/family.

Personally, I don't give a hoot if a same sex couple marries or brings a child into their home; hat's off to them really.... That said, all this flapping about the issue is akin to killing a fly with a hammer.

If we're afraid that we're excluding certain demographics or upsetting kids that lost a parent or have none; then let's do away with everything that might have any kind of relation to the notion.

Sterilize society thoroughly enough that these potential harms will never be realized

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What I'm driving at here is that the world is going so hyper-PC that it now attempts to conform solely to the minority rather than the average person/family.

Personally, I don't give a hoot if a same sex couple marries or brings a child into their home; hat's off to them really.... That said, all this flapping about the issue is akin to killing a fly with a hammer.

If we're afraid that we're excluding certain demographics or upsetting kids that lost a parent or have none; then let's do away with everything that might have any kind of relation to the notion.

Sterilize society thoroughly enough that these potential harms will never be realized
well they are...International Family Day, it's a nice compromise no?

honestly CM I don't even know what the term "average family" even means any more and when I reflect back on what I thought were average families there was so much stuff going on behind closed doors that who knows...

and in truth, it's not this kind of stuff that does the deep harm anyway... it's other stuff that no one knows is going on behind closed doors and most of us live in a bubble and deny it happens anyway

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Now I do support the idea of diversity but this has nothing to do with diversity
it is a tradition. We all end up without our mothers and fathers its about the
cycle of life. As for Mothers Day and Fathers Day it is a day of recognition and
respect. You can be of any faith or ethnic background and still participate in
the day of recognition. For Pete's sake to mess with everything all year long
is NUTS. Its not like we are all taking the day off and going to the beach, its a
day of recognition not a stat holiday.
As for oh what abut kids without their mother or father? Not a reason to deny
everyone else. It's like these hockey leagues for little kids where they no longer
keep score. Ya right. The kids are keeping score they know who won and lost.
Some people want to completely break down the society and its traditions so
they can remake the society in their own image and likeness.
?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
well they are...International Family Day, it's a nice compromise no?

Where's the compromise?

honestly CM I don't even know what the term "average family" even means any more and when I reflect back on what I thought were average families there was so much stuff going on behind closed doors that who knows...

Good point, but in the end, either have the existing reference or get rid of the entire thing.

and in truth, it's not this kind of stuff that does the deep harm anyway... it's other stuff that no one knows is going on behind closed doors and most of us live in a bubble and deny it happens anyway

Fair enough... More fuel to get rid of the entire principle all together.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The traditional family of a heterosexual man married to a heterosexual woman should be encouraged. It is the best way to bring up children. So I'm not suprised that the Left don't want to promote the traditional family.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Where's the compromise?

Good point, but in the end, either have the existing reference or get rid of the entire thing.

Fair enough... More fuel to get rid of the entire principle all together.
yeah not a bad idea, the other thing i am noticing in schools is the amount of time spent on things other than, reading, writing and math. The most recent studies are showing that the more successful a child is in math indicates how successful they will be down the road academically. And it doesn't mean trigonometry etc. just numeracy (basic) The stuff my parents were drilled on and that we have moved away from. I think we need to start focusing on that and leave all the rest of the fluff stuff aside. There's no time. do the basics

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What the PC crowd strives for........

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now I do support the idea of diversity but this has nothing to do with diversity
it is a tradition. We all end up without our mothers and fathers its about the
cycle of life. As for Mothers Day and Fathers Day it is a day of recognition and
respect. You can be of any faith or ethnic background and still participate in
the day of recognition. For Pete's sake to mess with everything all year long
is NUTS. Its not like we are all taking the day off and going to the beach, its a
day of recognition not a stat holiday.
As for oh what abut kids without their mother or father? Not a reason to deny
everyone else. It's like these hockey leagues for little kids where they no longer
keep score. Ya right. The kids are keeping score they know who won and lost.
Some people want to completely break down the society and its traditions so
they can remake the society in their own image and likeness.
?

Which leads me to another thought, we don't fail kids in school because they might not be able to handle failure! Sickening!! When we are first born we're not able to handle anything except breathing, pissing and sh*tting. The more adversity you can pile on a kid the better able he/she is to handle the big test....................LIFE!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Which leads me to another thought, we don't fail kids in school because they might not be able to handle failure! Sickening!! When we are first born we're not able to handle anything except breathing, pissing and sh*tting. The more adversity you can pile on a kid the better able he/she is to handle the big test....................LIFE!
actually that is untrue...the reason kids are not failed is because they become the biggest disrupters in the class, physically larger than the little ones around them, disturbing, disrupting and bullying the little ones...there is no proven reason to hold them back in a system where there is special education for which we pay millions.

there is nothing gained academically or socially for that child and the others who will have them in their class

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

more

h/t Fark
How bout just an international-do-whatcha-want-day for any category of person? That pretty much encompasses everyone - no exclusions. Otherwise, whatever anyone calls a particular day will exclude someone. PCness is immensely comical sometimes.