Police facing questions in 3 women's Ohio rescue

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
wow, this is a travesty

One neighbor says a naked woman was seen crawling on her hands and knees in the backyard of the house a few years ago. Another heard pounding on the home's doors and noticed plastic bags over the windows.
Both times, police showed up but never went inside, neighbors say. Police also paid a brief visit to the house in 2004.

Now, after three women who vanished a decade ago were found captive Monday at the peeling, rundown house, Cleveland police are facing questions for the second time in four years about their handling of missing-person cases and are conducting an internal review to see if they overlooked anything.
City Safety Director Martin Flask said Tuesday that investigators had no record of anyone calling about criminal activity at the house but were still checking police, fire and emergency databases.
The three women were rescued after one of them kicked out the bottom portion of a locked screen door and used a neighbor's telephone to call 911.
"Help me. I'm Amanda Berry," she breathlessly told a dispatcher in a call that exhilarated and astonished much of the city. "I've been kidnapped and I've been missing for 10 years and I'm, I'm here, I'm free now."
Berry, 27, Michelle Knight, 32, and Gina DeJesus, about 23, had apparently been held captive in the house since their teens or early 20s, said Police Chief Michael McGrath. CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds reported that the three women were held in restraints for some time of their captivity.

Police facing questions in 3 women's Ohio rescue - CBS News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Wow. Now is this for real or just people 'embellishing' their memories of events from years past now that it's made big headlines? I always wonder when "witnesses" come forward after the fact like that.

It could very well be though. I seem to recall at least one occurrence when Jeffery Dahmer had a police officer at his door when he had a victim in his apartment and managed to dissuade the officer from taking the investigation (of a neighbours complaint) any further.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Wow. Now is this for real or just people 'embellishing' their memories of events from years past now that it's made big headlines? I always wonder when "witnesses" come forward after the fact like that.

It could very well be though. I seem to recall at least one occurrence when Jeffery Dahmer had a police officer at his door when he had a victim in his apartment and managed to dissuade the officer from taking the investigation (of a neighbours complaint) any further.
at this point I don't know much except that some politician just did a gloss over on tv. Something about well in this type of neighbourhood there can be hookers half dressed so one might think nothing of it.

This dude had numerous charges against him that were dismissed because he didn't show up in court. This is going to open up some uncomfortable questions.

I just saw a video where a cop had stopped him because his license plate was crooked on his motor cycle. Cop let him off with fines even though he had no helmet, and no drivers license. Which they think now was good because the girls might have died if they were chained up.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Turns out Ariel Castro, the kidnapper and rapist, is a registered Democrat.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Turns out Ariel Castro, the kidnapper and rapist, is a registered Democrat.

So? Ted Bundy volunteered on a Republican campaign in '68. Not everything can be boiled down to left vs right, no matter how much it might thrill you to attempt to do so.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Had he been a supporter of the Tea Party that fact would be in every article and headline of this story.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Had he been a supporter of the Tea Party that fact would be in every article and headline of this story.

So you're reasoning is "let's continue with that illogical and irrelevant practice"??? Doesn't it make it hypocritical to slag them for doing it when you do it yourself then? Seriously, I'm asking.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This is an example of teabagger whining. They justify their irrelevant, illogical attacks by claiming without proof or the possibility of proof that had it been the other way around, the whole world would be against them.

Inculcating a false sense of being under attack is the oldest tool in the propagandist's kit. The next-oldest is calling every disagreement an attack.